CGSM 2022-2023 Thread

carlrogersfan98

12 hours ago, PajamaRobot said:

Not sure which scholarship you're referring to. 

Hey! I applied for the NSERC CGS-M! It's my first time applying and on this forum so I'm not sure how everything works!

Thank you for your answers everyone!

2 hours ago, capricorn97 said:

I applied for CGS SSHRC with Queen's, where I am currently completing my M.ED, and so far I haven't heard anything yet! The only communication I've gotten (Which almost gave me a heart attack by the way) was the automated email in which they said that results will be available as of April 1st. However, through friends who have gotten SSHRC as recently as last year, it's a good chance you can see your decision up to a couple of days depending on the institution you go to! But try not to stress too much y'all! We should know soon!!

How would you see your decision up to a couple of days before? Or do you mean just see that the status changes up to a few days before and sometimes not even until the day before? 

1 hour ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

How would you see your decision up to a couple of days before? Or do you mean just see that the status changes up to a few days before and sometimes not even until the day before? 

yes to the second point!

Hey all! Patiently awaiting too and am in massive overthinking mode. Status changed yesterday and I'm both organizing and attending a grad student conference starting tomorrow so I won't be checking until Saturday night.

Re: eligibility, the requirements are our GPA in the last 2 years of study and I know for most folks that's their undergrad but I actually did a master's in a different field before starting my MA (my most recent grades) so I imagine they'll be looking at those grades over my undergrad, right? Is anyone else been in the same boat?

Hi everyone! 

I was just able to get in and see my results :) First a warm congratulations to all of those successful this cycle! I see that I was placed on an alternate list for a school I'm attending in the fall. 

What is the likelihood of getting off an alternate list? TIA! 

Edited by Stu111

6 minutes ago, Stu111 said:

Hi everyone! 

I was just able to get in and see my results :) First a warm congratulations to all of those successful this cycle! I was able to see my results and saw that I was placed on an alternate list for a school I'm attending in the fall. 

What is the likelihood of getting off an alternate list? TIA! 

Apparently, it's common to get off the alternate list. Some people may get multiple offers so they need to decline one and some may get offers to schools that didn't accept them. So there's definitely going to be movement with the alternate list! Just can't put a specific % on the likelihood though

Hi everyone!

Exciting day! I was wondering if anyone else still has their portal saying "received by administrator" under status? It's for a school I will be attending in the fall so I'm really hoping this changes soon but is it normal for some schools to take longer to post results? 

First of all, a sincere congratulations to all of you who've got an offer! 

I've been listed as alternate. Here's some information that may give some of you a bit of a positive mindset going forward if you've been listed alternate as well. 

I'm in touch with the professor who's the director of the graduate program at the school I want to go to. This is what she said to me about the CGS-M: "Although few people receive a CGS-M right away, it's quite common for people to receive them on "reversion" as applicants to different "university name" departments rejects offers (and CGS-Ms), and those CGS-Ms are deployed to the next "university name" applicant in line. This process can take a few weeks, especially since some applicants take a while to reject offers that they receive."

She also stated that this process may go through to the summer, and of course if you check the website, my understanding is that it can take up til January of next year for you to possibly receive an offer. As far as I know, the class last year for the Master's program I'm applying to got an unprecedented number of them - and they were listed as alternate as well. 

**Note: this may vary between universities. 

We can only hope and wait but again, it isn't a guarantee. Luckily, I have received an internal scholarship (that can be held at the same time as the CGS-M) that just covers the cost of the tuition. 

SORRY I KNOW THIS IS A LONG POST BUT HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS SOMEONE

1 minute ago, Kim.bopp said:

First of all, a sincere congratulations to all of you who've got an offer! 

I've been listed as alternate. Here's some information that may give some of you a bit of a positive mindset going forward if you've been listed alternate as well. 

I'm in touch with the professor who's the director of the graduate program at the school I want to go to. This is what she said to me about the CGS-M: "Although few people receive a CGS-M right away, it's quite common for people to receive them on "reversion" as applicants to different "university name" departments rejects offers (and CGS-Ms), and those CGS-Ms are deployed to the next "university name" applicant in line. This process can take a few weeks, especially since some applicants take a while to reject offers that they receive."

She also stated that this process may go through to the summer, and of course if you check the website, my understanding is that it can take up til January of next year for you to possibly receive an offer. As far as I know, the class last year for the Master's program I'm applying to got an unprecedented number of them - and they were listed as alternate as well. 

**Note: this may vary between universities. 

We can only hope and wait but again, it isn't a guarantee. Luckily, I have received an internal scholarship (that can be held at the same time as the CGS-M) that just covers the cost of the tuition. 

SORRY I KNOW THIS IS A LONG POST BUT HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS SOMEONE

Ah! Also, I just wanted to say for those of you listed alternate, don't be down on yourselves or think your work wasn't good enoughAs it says in the legend: The application has been deemed meritorious in the institution's competition; however, due to its ranking, falls below the allocation cut-off. 

I had a conversation with a professor of mine who was helping me with my proposal and she said "sometimes, you fall below the cut-off and it's not because you didn't work hard or your proposal isn't interesting. They can only offer an award to so many people because of certain restrictions that are in place that has nothing to do with how good your application is." 

... or something along those lines ?

Good morning y'all!

I have been offered SSHRC at U of A, but I will not be attending so I will be declining. Hopes this helps someone :) 

I am currently alternate listed at U of C which is where I will be going, so if anyone is going to decline their SSHRC there I would love to know!

Also, has anyone gone about emailing the institution to learn their rank on the alternate list?

Just logged on and I was listed as an alternate for SSHRC at the U of Manitoba. Does anyone know if the new offers to alternates are made automatically or if they aren't made until the end of the initial 21 day offer period? 

So I’ve managed to get waitlisted for both NSERC and OGS at Carleton - here’s hoping with some luck I end up with one of them. Unfortunately we have been told we can’t ask about our ranking, so will just have to keep my fingers crossed.