Jump to content

CGSM 2022-2023 Thread


carlrogersfan98

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

I noticed there was no thread made for CGSM this year, and as April 1 rolls closer I thought having a place to discuss results and see if people are thinking of accepting or declining their awards can help people who were selected for the alternate list! 

Feel free to discuss/vent to your heart's content below :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Hey guys, 

I noticed there was no thread made for CGSM this year, and as April 1 rolls closer I thought having a place to discuss results and see if people are thinking of accepting or declining their awards can help people who were selected for the alternate list! 

Feel free to discuss/vent to your heart's content below :)

Thank you for starting this thread! I was waitlisted last year and fingers crossed moving forward!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

I just received an automated email re: CGS-M saying "The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results." Did anyone else get this? Hate that I know there's a decision and can't check it until the 1st!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, brunchenthusiast said:

Hey guys!

I just received an automated email re: CGS-M saying "The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results." Did anyone else get this? Hate that I know there's a decision and can't check it until the 1st!!

That means a school has uploaded a decision on your application! I got those emails last year right at the end of March. I think every school is different in terms of timeline for uploading but all of us should be receiving emails like that over the next little while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CatsWearPants said:

Is it normal to not hear anything from the department by now? Or is this school / department specific?

Normal :) I havent heard anything and last year I didn't hear anything until literally March 31

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it typical for students who get rejected from a school they listed as their three schools on the CGS-M portal, but still get the CGS-M award for that school? How common is this? I've heard that there is no connection between the people who selects students for the program vs. the people who selects students or CGS-M. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, psychmem said:

Is it typical for students who get rejected from a school they listed as their three schools on the CGS-M portal, but still get the CGS-M award for that school? How common is this? I've heard that there is no connection between the people who selects students for the program vs. the people who selects students or CGS-M. 

This happens. If you win, try emailing/calling your program administrator/ hopeful thesis supervisor explaining you won SSHRC and that it should suffice as demonstration of your academic ability. However, if your application was bad or not in-line with the supervisors research interest I doubt they'd reconsider admission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2022 at 7:53 AM, psychmem said:

Is it typical for students who get rejected from a school they listed as their three schools on the CGS-M portal, but still get the CGS-M award for that school? How common is this? I've heard that there is no connection between the people who selects students for the program vs. the people who selects students or CGS-M. 

Last year I was alternate listed at a school I didn't even interview at, so it certainly could happen. Fortunately this year I got in to one of the schools I listed. Like the other person said, if you get it at a school you did not get admitted to but would still like to attend, contact them and discuss what your options might be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I probably shouldn't think too much about this since it doesn't really help, but is the "early" status update mean anything? I'm received the generic email "The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page.." around last week. I know the email means the school have made a decision on your application. This is my first time applying and I just want to get this out of my mind by writing it here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PajamaRobot said:

I probably shouldn't think too much about this since it doesn't really help, but is the "early" status update mean anything? I'm received the generic email "The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page.." around last week. I know the email means the school have made a decision on your application. This is my first time applying and I just want to get this out of my mind by writing it here. 

I'm not sure, I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do people know whether by April 1st, we would ideally all have already received that notification email about a status change (mentioned above) for each individual school we listed? Or is it in some cases, there would be no update until April 1st? Also trying to deduce things here haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, psychmem said:

Do people know whether by April 1st, we would ideally all have already received that notification email about a status change (mentioned above) for each individual school we listed? Or is it in some cases, there would be no update until April 1st? Also trying to deduce things here haha

Also wondering this. I received the email saying an update had been made to my file and when I checked the portal, I could see it was from University of Ottawa because the date had been updated next to that school. However the other 2 schools were still showing a December date, so i know they have not updated my file yet. Guess I'll just wait for April 1st to see if the other schools update the file as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Also wondering this. I received the email saying an update had been made to my file and when I checked the portal, I could see it was from University of Ottawa because the date had been updated next to that school. However the other 2 schools were still showing a December date, so i know they have not updated my file yet. Guess I'll just wait for April 1st to see if the other schools update the file as well.

Last year when I applied, 1 of my schools updated it on March 30 and the other 2 updated it on March 31 hahaha. Also, for what it's worth, I haven't received any such emails updating me on a status change yet. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gradstudent123456789 said:

Just got the email saying the status of my application changed for UofT, and also had a friend at UofT who had the status of their application updated a week ago. Not sure if the timing of these updates is an indication of anything.. 

Yeah, I saw on the U of C grad discord that many students got theirs a day or two before my status changed. It also doesn't seem to be department-dependent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, okcallie said:

First time applying, just got an email saying my status was updated. Is it a bad sign if it's updated before April 1? 😢

I'm not sure - I saw last year someone had their application updated on March 26 and received a SSHRC award from UofT. Mine was also updated last year on March 26 and I did not receive an NSERC award. Seems like it could go either way

Edited by gradstudent123456789
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gradstudent123456789 said:

I'm not sure - I saw last year someone had their application updated on March 26 and received a SSHRC award from UofT. Mine was also updated last year on March 26 and I did not receive an NSERC award. Seems like it could go either way

Ah okay, guess it doesn't mean too much. Best of luck this year :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, I got an update from 1st school March 16th and then an update from 2nd school March 24th... This doesn't seem good right? It looks likes 1st school rejected my proposal March 16th, and then 2nd school reflected for 8 days when they received my proposal and then rejected it... Anyone has had this experience in the past and can tell me about the outcome? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LiliK said:

Hey everyone, I got an update from 1st school March 16th and then an update from 2nd school March 24th... This doesn't seem good right? It looks likes 1st school rejected my proposal March 16th, and then 2nd school reflected for 8 days when they received my proposal and then rejected it... Anyone has had this experience in the past and can tell me about the outcome? Thanks!

I'm a little confused.... and you posted the exact same thing on the NSERC PGS D 2022-2023 thread. Not sure which scholarship you're referring to. Did you reach out to your department at your first school to find out if you're actually rejected? I think the threads above already mentioned that the timeline which your application status gets updated might not mean much. I would say stay positive and look into other scholarships if you still can. Either way all the best.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PSA: everyone please stop overthinking what the timing of the email updates means; all schools are on different timelines and each committee at each school is independent of each other, so comparing when you got your updates with others at different schools is moot and only causing more stress for you. Just hold on 4 days and see the results for yourselves!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I applied for CGS SSHRC with Queen's, where I am currently completing my M.ED, and so far I haven't heard anything yet! The only communication I've gotten (Which almost gave me a heart attack by the way) was the automated email in which they said that results will be available as of April 1st. However, through friends who have gotten SSHRC as recently as last year, it's a good chance you can see your decision up to a couple of days depending on the institution you go to! But try not to stress too much y'all! We should know soon!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.