2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

On 3/10/2023 at 8:04 AM, catwrites said:

Someone in Draft reported that a friend got a call! But I guess that is all kind of a game of telephone LOL I am also trying to tell myself that it’s AWP, so maybe folks who would make the calls are traveling? 

Hey catwrites, there's a rejection on gradcafe survey dated March 14th done via email.  I haven't received any update yet.  Did you?  I thought rejections go out through mass mails

Forget it.. I received a rejection just now

Edited by GreenTea'd

@GreenTea'd I got mine! It was like, three different emails from Christina Ablaza, telling me to check the portal, where I had to go hunting for the rejection! I think their whole response system is just a mess. Disappointing to not even get a proper email (how is “Check the portal for update” any less work than sending out a mass form rejection?!)

42 minutes ago, chickpea said:

hi all, congratulations to everyone on this cycle—i hope it has brought, or will soon bring, good things! i write fiction and am trying to make a decision between the university of michigan and iowa—does anybody have any insight on these programs, how they compare culturally, academically, etc.? thanks in advance and take care! 

I spoke to someone currently attending Michigan for fiction, back in December. I can't speak to how it compares culturally to Iowa, since I haven't talked to anyone currently attending Iowa. But I know that the student who I spoke to really likes Michigan. They found it to be really supportive, and they like their cohort. They did mention there's been a semi-recent shake-up of faculty, with a lot of new professors coming in. But they also really like the new/current professors a lot.

They also mentioned that the workshop structure varies depending on which faculty member is leading it, and they're not exclusively the Iowa model. Regardless, students do have an option to "save up" their workshops so that instead of workshopping two short stories at two separate points, you can workshop a big chunk of a novel (like, 60 pages) once. So if you're novel-focused, that is probably a plus. (Maybe Iowa does the same thing? I don't know, though.)

Oh, and of course, Michigan has the guaranteed "third year", which is essentially just free, funded time to focus on writing without any additional academic responsibilities.

1 hour ago, oceansoup said:

I received my rejection from Brown early last week! I hope that helps you. 

I only knew of poetry having gone out! Choosing to believe they did some fiction as you suggest so I can imagine I made it past a round if I get rejected. Best of luck to you on other schools / hope you have somewhere great to go to!

Edited by dagreenkat

6 hours ago, catwrites said:

@GreenTea'd I got mine! It was like, three different emails from Christina Ablaza, telling me to check the portal, where I had to go hunting for the rejection! I think their whole response system is just a mess. Disappointing to not even get a proper email (how is “Check the portal for update” any less work than sending out a mass form rejection?!)

I hate Christina C Ablaza boo hoo hoo

hi all, hope you're holding up ok through all this waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted! I haven't heard much about Vanderbilt on this page, and I may regret this, but I wanted to get a temp read for acceptances/waitlists. I was waitlisted on Feb 12th and know my place in the ranking, I'm mostly just curious to hear from anyone else who has been waitlisted/accepted and if you've gotten in elsewhere. I would truly die to study w Lorrie Moore, my fingers n toes are crossed even though the odds are slim

Edited by girlgenius

6 hours ago, Catpaw said:

They also mentioned that the workshop structure varies depending on which faculty member is leading it, and they're not exclusively the Iowa model.

I don't think there's such a thing as the "Iowa model" for workshops... Different professors dictate workshops differently. I'd say look at the faculty (visiting and permanent) and see whose work you're excited by, and bear in mind the different cohort sizes

On 3/12/2023 at 2:03 PM, ArthurDentJr said:

I've now received CNF decisions on all of my schools: UPittsburgh, UMinnesota, UIowa, Louisiana State, and UArizona were all rejections...But! I was accepted at Ohio State (my top preference)! I am very excited. To everyone who is waiting on waitlists or a laundry list of rejections, just know that this was my third year of applying to schools and I received nothing but rejections my first two application cycles (not even a waitlist). Don't give up!

Also, if you've had a run of bad luck thus far, consider changing genres and looking at schools that embrace developing your talents outside that concentration. I submitted in fiction my first two years, but my professors convinced me to apply in CNF this year. It's not my favorite genre, but Ohio State has made it very clear that they encourage their students to take courses in whatever areas they like (many of the students are blending forms anyway). Lots of schools encourage this experimentation.

I hope as many of you stick with this ambition as is possible. Keep putting yourselves out there because fielding countless rejections is an inevitable part of the writer's life. I'm glad I wasn't accepted till now: I'm almost 32 and these delays have given me lots of time to hone my craft, gain life experience, develop discipline, and figure out what I really want to do with my education so that I don't waste it. Don't stop believing in yourself just because a handful of folks who read a small sample of your work didn't immediately glean your potential. And good luck!

I so needed to hear this! This is my third year in a row applying to Notre Dame, and I'm pretty sure I got rejected again--however, it has done nothing but spur me on to keep streamlining, keep distilling, keep growing, keep writing, and keep dreaming. l told them in my SOP that I'm going to keep applying until they let me in or I finish my novel (ideally both, haha!), but I also know I need to do a lot of work in terms of just immersing myself in books, fiction, workshopping, etc.--I'm already planning ahead/getting started on that for this year and upcoming application cycle. :)

Now, not to make this all about me, because CONGRATULATIONS!!! Woohoo!!! I just had to comment because I too am about to turn 32, and I'm so grateful I haven't gotten in yet because the last two years (at least), I wasn't ready. It's slowly coming together--slowly, but steadily--and I just wanted to thank you, so, so much, for writing what you did. I'm so happy for you that you got into your top choice, and can't wait to see/hear/read all the success you're going to have!! Congrats on your perseverance and your promise!

On 3/13/2023 at 8:41 PM, FloridaMan said:

Hi all, and good luck to everyone still waiting. I was lucky enough to get offers from FIU and McNeese State over the last few days (by email), and while I’m extremely grateful for and interested in both offers, I’m not ready to commit to either. Any advice on how to say that? Is it fine to say it that bluntly? I just don’t want to deflate the excitement of the acceptances.

Also, has anyone else been accepted to either of these programs? Does anyone have any notes about either program?

Late reply, but I don't think you've gotten any responses yet -- I don't think you're required to say anything until the decision deadline. I would only respond to confirm interest (and acceptance elsewhere) if you haven't received funding yet, because that can tip the scales.

17 hours ago, Nicolas M. said:

I don't think there's such a thing as the "Iowa model" for workshops... Different professors dictate workshops differently.

I do understand this sentiment, and especially since I'm sure that Iowa itself doesn't use this approach exclusively anymore. But there very famously is a workshop approach that was spearheaded and popularized by the Iowa MFA program, and it is often referred to as the Iowa model for that reason. 

Edited by Catpaw

1 hour ago, feralgrad said:

Late reply, but I don't think you've gotten any responses yet -- I don't think you're required to say anything until the decision deadline. I would only respond to confirm interest (and acceptance elsewhere) if you haven't received funding yet, because that can tip the scales.

Thank you for the response! That’s what I was thinking, but it’s great to hear from someone with more experience. Thanks!

1 hour ago, anygivenday said:

Final rejection received yesterday. This is my 1st year applying and I was only able to apply to 4 schools, but I got no acceptances and no waitlists - with those stats, I think I'm done. 

Hey, just because you didn’t get into any schools doesn’t mean you should stop writing though. Keep on working on your craft (whether that leads to a future in creative academia or not!) 

2 hours ago, anygivenday said:

Final rejection received yesterday. This is my 1st year applying and I was only able to apply to 4 schools, but I got no acceptances and no waitlists - with those stats, I think I'm done. 

Just received my fourth and final rejection a few minutes ago, and it’s also my first year applying, so I completely understand how you feel.

While I’m not certain this process is something I want to go through again, I can’t help but think of all the steps that led me to where I am currently (full transparency, that place is my bedroom floor, where I am folded in a fetal position, crying). 

I think of the years, the amount of shitty first drafts and the hours spent staring at a blank word doc. I can recall each and every time I became discouraged and imagined a life in which I had chosen a more lucrative path. Something that requires sensible heels and a closet of black and beige.

I also think about the courage it took. I remember the times I submitted short stories to my middle school writing competitions, and how I never seemed able to earn anything above honorable mention. I think of the teacher who told me when I was sixteen that I wouldn’t have a future as a writer. Mostly, though, I think of how in spite of it all, I kept writing. I never knew in those moments of failure, that around the corner, there was always an interested publication or a professor who said my writing was the reason they enjoyed their job. I just needed the strength and courage to dust myself off and keep creating.

Even if the world decides that I’m a bad writer, the little girl who wrote chapters of her book in shaky handwriting on wide-ruled paper, who fantasized about pages of swashbuckling pirates and pink mermaids, all bound together under my name— she’s still here, cheering for me. Even if I don’t apply again and choose a different path instead, I’ll continue writing, just to keep her dream alive. It doesn’t matter if it’s bad tumblr fanfiction or the next great American novel. Even though today resides firmly on my personal “failure” list, after all of these years, all of the bravery it took to get here— it can’t be for nothing, right?

To those of you who are feeling discouraged, think of your own bravery. Think of the version of you who decided they wanted this. Keep writing.

1 hour ago, jennnna said:

Just received my fourth and final rejection a few minutes ago, and it’s also my first year applying, so I completely understand how you feel.

While I’m not certain this process is something I want to go through again, I can’t help but think of all the steps that led me to where I am currently (full transparency, that place is my bedroom floor, where I am folded in a fetal position, crying). 

I think of the years, the amount of shitty first drafts and the hours spent staring at a blank word doc. I can recall each and every time I became discouraged and imagined a life in which I had chosen a more lucrative path. Something that requires sensible heels and a closet of black and beige.

I also think about the courage it took. I remember the times I submitted short stories to my middle school writing competitions, and how I never seemed able to earn anything above honorable mention. I think of the teacher who told me when I was sixteen that I wouldn’t have a future as a writer. Mostly, though, I think of how in spite of it all, I kept writing. I never knew in those moments of failure, that around the corner, there was always an interested publication or a professor who said my writing was the reason they enjoyed their job. I just needed the strength and courage to dust myself off and keep creating.

Even if the world decides that I’m a bad writer, the little girl who wrote chapters of her book in shaky handwriting on wide-ruled paper, who fantasized about pages of swashbuckling pirates and pink mermaids, all bound together under my name— she’s still here, cheering for me. Even if I don’t apply again and choose a different path instead, I’ll continue writing, just to keep her dream alive. It doesn’t matter if it’s bad tumblr fanfiction or the next great American novel. Even though today resides firmly on my personal “failure” list, after all of these years, all of the bravery it took to get here— it can’t be for nothing, right?

To those of you who are feeling discouraged, think of your own bravery. Think of the version of you who decided they wanted this. Keep writing.

Just want to say that is really beautiful. Thank you for writing this. 

Also know the level of competition and subjectivity that comes into the MFA admissions process. I keep reminding myself that if I don't get in anywhere, it is not a reflection of my writing ability or hard work. In the end, being a writer is so deeply meaningful to me that as long as I choose to continue writing (whether someone accepts me or not), I am on the right path.

VCU just came through with that rejection email. It's looking like my final stats are:

Rejected - UVA, VCU, NCSU, JHU, Pittsburgh (I just sat here for a solid five minutes trying to remember this one so... clearly it was not meant to be), probably VT

Waitlisted - WVU, Arkansas, LSU

Accepted - Rutgers-Camden with full tuition remission, full funding, and a TAship – I was waitlisted initially, then off the waitlist in less than 24 hours! I had a Zoom with Paul Lisicky and he seemed like a really nice guy, super enthusiastic about his program and his students. I'm tempted to go ahead and take the offer, because I'm down to relocate to Philly and have a good feeling about the program. At the same time, FOMO makes me want to hang in there until the eleventh hour to see if any of these waitlists move. I think I'm going to wait until the end of this month to see if anything comes up, but... I'm really thinking Rutgers-Camden is the one. I think if I ask myself "say you did get off one of the waitlists, would you still go with R-C?" and the answer is "probably," then... I think it's the one? It's pretty crazy that this process is drawing to a close. One of the most stressful wait periods I've ever had, excepting maybe the time I was waiting for brain MRI results (they were negative). 

Congratulations to everybody who has received good news this winter/spring, and all the best of luck to everybody planning to apply for the 23-24 round.