2023 Application Thread

dr. t

I am still waiting on two schools. It has been over two months at this point. My profs keep telling me I'm on an invisible waitlist and I don't know if that is better or worse than a visible one. I'm so frustrated by the lack of an answer. How is everyone else's wait going?

On 3/10/2023 at 2:03 PM, KinOfKafka said:

Got rejection from NYU yesterday. I'm now just waiting on Upitt and UMass Amherst, and technically Northeastern (I know acceptances have already gone out, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get a spot, I was on the shortlist so I think they might be waiting to see if someone doesn't accept offer - but their funding package is insanely good (40K) so I don't expect that). At this point, it's not looking like I'm going to get in this round, my plan is to find some sort of museum/public history job for a year and reapply next cycle.

i am still waiting on Pitt too. I contacted the graduate director and he told me that they did not start reviewing applications until January 15th and that they "had an unusually large pool of strong applications this year." He also said that I should "soon hear from us."

On 3/14/2023 at 8:22 AM, greenlandsharki said:

I am still waiting on two schools. It has been over two months at this point. My profs keep telling me I'm on an invisible waitlist and I don't know if that is better or worse than a visible one. I'm so frustrated by the lack of an answer. How is everyone else's wait going?

I'm still waiting to get off of Illinois' waitlist. It's my top choice!

I emailed Maryland yesterday looking for an update on my application status. Was told this morning I was rejected. Frustrating knowing I'd been waiting so long and they seemed to have the answer already. Still waiting on one more school but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get in.  

13 hours ago, greenlandsharki said:

I emailed Maryland yesterday looking for an update on my application status. Was told this morning I was rejected. Frustrating knowing I'd been waiting so long and they seemed to have the answer already. Still waiting on one more school but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get in.  

Sorry to hear this. :( I wonder why they didn't send out a decision sooner. I've been waiting to hear about them too and didn't want to email them, but I may go ahead and do it after seeing this. Best of luck on your other app!

Edited by cladthecrab

On 2/16/2023 at 6:29 PM, HistoryApplicant said:

Has anyone heard from Brandeis, UCLA, or University of Hong Kong? I’m a few rejection letters in and it’s getting nerve wracking.

I haven't heard back from HKU yet. However, they told me that I should hear back from them in March/April.

I urge prospective grad students to examine your funding packages. Ask other students how long it takes them to finish vs. how much money you're getting. Take into account that your may have to self-fund for a year or more. Is that feasible for you? Will you need loans?

Just heard from Syracuse that I was waitlisted. I was sure that I was going to be rejected because Rochester rejected me so this was amazing news. I hear back on April 15th to know if I got accepted or not. This is my top school and it is fully funded I need this program. Dr. Branson is also an amazing historian of gender and women studies in the colonial period. Ugh, should I not get my hopes up? Is it rude to ask what my spot is on the waitlist?

My final results:

Johns Hopkins - not sure? They said that I was still under consideration but I haven't heard back in a while, so likely a rejection

Chicago - waitlisted

UCLA - accepted

Harvard - accepted, will be my pick

UK schools - one rejection, two waitlists 

Good luck to everyone in these last few weeks :)

I heard news from Syracuse last Friday that I was accepted off the waitlist. This is thrilling news as I was certain I was going to be denied and it was the only funded program I applied to. This has been quite a journey, I'll see you all again in two years when I start applying to PhD programs. Good luck everyone with all future endeavors!

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email yesterday from my POI, saying that at this point, two days before the deadline, they still don't know if all slots in the waitlist will be filled, and asking me if a spot were to open on the 15th, might I still be interested... So I guess it's good news, right? Because I imagine he would only write such an email if I stood a good chance. I don't know. I have 9 rejections and this one. such an emotional rollercoaster...

On 4/14/2023 at 2:18 PM, TheWitWitch said:

So, I wasn't expecting this...But I've just received two offers, one from Duke and the other from Berkeley. I have no idea what to do...

Which one has outcomes closer to the career outcome you'd like? Which one has more financial/archival resources available? Where do you "fit" better into the department?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • dr. t unpinned this topic
  • dr. t locked this topic