2023 Applicants

Hi everyone, looking for some interview advice for an international student please. I'm interviewing at an Ivy but I have an offer at a peer program with a top funding package higher than this program's average stipend last year. If they ask me if I have other offers, should I answer truthfully or is it in my best interests to not mention it since faculty might be conscious of protecting yield rates (I have heard that top programs are very conscious about making this number as big as possible)? 

On this note, I read this article to help me make my decision about programs in the US, is there a similar newer article that someone wants to share? Especially one with data outside of the US? In an ideal world I wouldn't be using this data to help make my decision but I don't have a trust fund so what can you do.

https://read-dukeupress-edu.eu1.proxy.openathens.net/pedagogy/article/15/1/139/20455/Where-Do-PhDs-in-English-Get-Jobs-An-Economist-s

3 hours ago, gingergirl16 said:

anyone know whats happening with nyu? i saw some interview requests, and a rejection I think? but no acceptances

They're conducting interviews later this week, so acceptances wouldn't be out yet. Based on the wording of the interview invitation email I received, it seems like interviews are a required step. I wonder whether the rejection on the board is an actual rejection or somebody assuming rejection as a result of not getting an interview?

9 hours ago, stressed_applicant said:

Today I got another rejection (well, I was referred to the masters program, which I can't afford) and then I saw an acceptance go out for my undergrad university (Cornell University) in the media studies program I applied to. I applied to 10 programs, which seemed like a lot at the time as I am working full time, but as I've gotten 3 rejections now and no interview invites, it's hard to stay positive. I applied to a mix of Media Studies, Comp Lit and English programs, which maybe wasn't the best idea. 

If worse comes to worst, then I'll reapply, but it's going to be so hard to pick myself up again after this. 6 more programs to hear from still, but I'm anticipating rejection as it's been so selective this year. I'm thankful for all the support after lurking on here though and being able to see when acceptances are posted. Fingers crossed for everyone else who is still waiting to hear back- it's really tough!

I know rejections sting!!! But it's just early Feb and nothing is done yet! I didn't hear anything from schools I applied to and well I only applied to 4. Anyways, our life goes on with or without acceptances. Just hang in there.

11 hours ago, stressed_applicant said:

Today I got another rejection (well, I was referred to the masters program, which I can't afford) and then I saw an acceptance go out for my undergrad university (Cornell University) in the media studies program I applied to. I applied to 10 programs, which seemed like a lot at the time as I am working full time, but as I've gotten 3 rejections now and no interview invites, it's hard to stay positive. I applied to a mix of Media Studies, Comp Lit and English programs, which maybe wasn't the best idea. 

If worse comes to worst, then I'll reapply, but it's going to be so hard to pick myself up again after this. 6 more programs to hear from still, but I'm anticipating rejection as it's been so selective this year. I'm thankful for all the support after lurking on here though and being able to see when acceptances are posted. Fingers crossed for everyone else who is still waiting to hear back- it's really tough!

Can I ask what programs you applied to? I also have an interest in Media Studies but am currently majoring in English so I mostly kept to English PhDs with faculty members in my area.

16 hours ago, DarianAcademia said:

Lit comp focus in multicultural modern lit

I'm in 19th C British lit! Good luck to us; I can't believe we still haven't heard back. I swear, this year's decisions are coming in at later times. I'm still waiting on a school that last year had their decisions out in January... 

32 minutes ago, conswrtng said:

Congrats on your acceptances! 

How are you going to decide which university to attend?

thank you! i'm waiting with hope for other decisions, and when all of them roll in, i will consider:

• Environment—I'm currently completing a Master's in a small coastal town in Scotland. It's beautiful and historic but way too insular and not diverse at all. I went to school in a major city and I want (some) of that energy back. It doesn't have to be NYC or LA but when I return to the US, I want a larger city feel with more diverse demographics. 
  • Cost of Living and Housing—I'm first-gen, low-income and have spent all my life stressed out and financially insecure. I want to be able to undertake this six-year degree without the worry of finances over my head. I know PhD stipends aren't the best, but I at least want a fighting chance at economic security—and subsidized housing helps, too.
  • Fit—What courses do they offer? Does the program encourage an interdisciplinary approach to literary studies? What do past dissertation topics look like? What does a program's placements look like? Who can I work with? What specific opportunities are available for students studying gender, race, etc?
  • Community—How do current students feel? When I eventually talk to POIs, do we mesh? What's our energy like?

considering all of that now, currently brown trumps cornell (providence vs ithaca, 44k stipend vs 39k, more advisors to work with, better-aligned classes and diss topics, centers for study, etc), but we'll see how the rest of the month plays out!

1 hour ago, bw_grad said:

cornell acceptances are rolling out over email! best of luck to everyone who applied ?

Congratulations!  I was wondering if anyone knew when rejection letters are gonna roll out?  I'm in the same field as you and so I'm assuming I didn't get in but just want official confirmations.

40 minutes ago, DarianAcademia said:

Congratulations!  I was wondering if anyone knew when rejection letters are gonna roll out?  I'm in the same field as you and so I'm assuming I didn't get in but just want official confirmations.

it appears they updated the portal for the acceptances today and rejections should be out in the next few days, if not tomorrow 

Got my letter from Berkeley last night, so glad that I don't sleep with my phone in my room and keep all notifications on Do Not Disturb 24/7 because if I saw it, I probably would not be able to stop myself from checking it.

This is probably good news for all who haven't heard from them yet but keep your head up no matter what!

3 hours ago, steady hand sean said:

Got my letter from Berkeley last night, so glad that I don't sleep with my phone in my room and keep all notifications on Do Not Disturb 24/7 because if I saw it, I probably would not be able to stop myself from checking it.

This is probably good news for all who haven't heard from them yet but keep your head up no matter what!

good news or bad news? sorry if this is a sore subject haha -- i'm just not seeing anything else about berkeley anywhere!!! 

On 2/7/2023 at 5:07 AM, steady hand sean said:

Can I ask what programs you applied to? I also have an interest in Media Studies but am currently majoring in English so I mostly kept to English PhDs with faculty members in my area.

Sure! I also applied to Brown's Modern Culture and Media Program. I applied to UChicago's Cinema and Media Studies program and was deferred to their MAPH program, which I can't afford, but it gives me some hope. The last one I applied to was Cornell's Performing and Media Arts program, as that's where I attended undergrad for English. I thought about applying to the Stanford program you applied to as well, but ultimately, I didn't.

I completed my applications in a similar way to you. I applied mostly to English programs that had faculty or a concentration option in Film and/or Japanese media. Some other programs I was looking at were at Boulder, University of Michigan and NYU, but they all strongly recommended an MA or MFA before applying, which I do not have. I also looked at Yale and the University of Oregon, as they both had options for English with a concentration in Film.

Best of luck on the applications! It's definitely an interesting field to be in.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:53 AM, Shuyaaaa said:

I know rejections sting!!! But it's just early Feb and nothing is done yet! I didn't hear anything from schools I applied to and well I only applied to 4. Anyways, our life goes on with or without acceptances. Just hang in there.

Thanks!! Yeah, I am trying to stay positive and keeping in mind that I still have a little over twice as many places to hear back from as I have received rejections for. Mostly the fact I haven't heard anything or received any interview invites for the places I haven't heard from yet is what's killing me... I hope you hear back soon as well with some good news! 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:57 PM, bw_grad said:

cornell acceptances are rolling out over email! best of luck to everyone who applied ?

You are such a rockstar, congrats!! I'm excited to see where you ultimately choose--you're going to do GREAT things! ?❤️