2023 Applicants

Hi! I am completely new to the international application arena so looking for some clarity here...I completed my application on 15th Jan, the last date in all the cases and have been stuck with the 'under review', 'app released to the program', 'under department review and recommendation' ever since then. Is it because I am out of the game entirely or because I submitted on the last date? The grad rep replied that they're still processing but since I am new to applying abroad I am not sure about any of the signs...I saw 2 acceptances on the portal for florida state and 1 for McMaster so here I am...panicking...day and night...checking the emails/app portal every passing minute...this is the real ordeal...I have lost half of my fingernails within a month already...don't know what else am gonna lose!?

On 2/15/2023 at 6:57 PM, Shuyaaaa said:

Don't know if you already heard back or not. I sent an email asking when we will be informed of the admission decision today! Tired of waiting it out! I'll let you know what they say.

hey, I did not! I would be really interested in learning their answer. thanks for sending the email!

With Rutgers sending out acceptances today and me not getting one, it looks like this is it for me this cycle! I’m glad that it’s over and I no longer have to obsess over the results page and my inbox. It’s happened faster than I thought it would even though at times it was excruciatingly slow. I’ve gotten some good offers. Now to do some more research and try to make an informed decision. For those of you still waiting to hear back from programs, good luck! I’m crossing all my crossables for you. ?

okay... I swore to myself I would not post on gradcafe but HERE I AM breaking my promise to myself. does anyone know what the hell is going on with UVA's process? I've seen that they've admitted/rejected/waitlisted people already but I've heard...nothing? like how the hell are they doing this lol?

(I've also heard nothing from Yale or UPenn -- applied for the combined FMS program at Yale but didn't interview, interviewed at Penn -- and have no clue what's going on there either but assuming a rejection tbh)

Well I assumed that it was all over for me but I got a small bit of hope.  I got an email from Nebraska that I was rejected for their phd program but received a separate email asking if I would apply for their masters program that is funded with a stipend.  They said that I would be very competitive in that pool.  My thought process is maybe if I get my masters first I will be more competitive the next time I apply for phd programs.  Also it is fully funded which is a big plus.  Its not a for sure thing that I would even get in but it gives me a little bit of hope.

7 hours ago, futureexwife said:

okay... I swore to myself I would not post on gradcafe but HERE I AM breaking my promise to myself. does anyone know what the hell is going on with UVA's process? I've seen that they've admitted/rejected/waitlisted people already but I've heard...nothing? like how the hell are they doing this lol?

(I've also heard nothing from Yale or UPenn -- applied for the combined FMS program at Yale but didn't interview, interviewed at Penn -- and have no clue what's going on there either but assuming a rejection tbh)

Same here. I’m going to assume rejection though. Probably taking them some time to reject people one by one ?

11 hours ago, dimsum_johnson said:

has anyone begun hearing back from programs in Canada? I saw that one person got into UofT and McMaster, but wondering if that's been it so far

I didn't personally apply to any Canadian programs, but a cohort mate of mine applied to/heard back from McGill about a week ago

I am a current PhD student at Columbia University. Here's the email we just received:

"The doctoral admissions committee met today to make final decisions, our intention being to assemble a class of eleven new students, plus two students who deferred enrollment last year. The students we've admitted work across all fields and include a number with strongly interdisciplinary projects. Several new admits also share an interest in sharing and conducting research beyond the academy. It's also a significantly diverse group in demographic terms: more than half of those we've admitted are people of color. Our admissions list is now with GSAS for processing and approval. Offer letters will be sent by email late today or early Monday morning. Once our admits have been officially notified by GSAS, I'll circulate a list of names that includes contact information. At that point, you may also be contacted by your faculty mentors with requests to reach out to prospective students. Before then, please do not contact anyone, even informally and even if you've been in touch already, until I confirm that they've been officially admitted by GSAS."

Good luck to anyone here who applied!

EDIT: Sorry, I should have specified. This is for the English & Comp Lit Department.

Edited by plantdaddy89

with yesterday's columbia acceptance, my cycle is finally over! still have a decision to make, but i really want to thank y'all for the info, camaraderie and sometimes commiseration in this forum. literally don't think i could have made it through without a place to vent and empathize with others; the app process can be so isolating! anyway, thank you, and i am so sorry for being corny lol

My first post! Just trying to appeal to anyone who has been admitted to CUNY, specifically working w/ DH or modernism, in the event you’re turning down the offer and to please let the DGS know. I’m on the waitlist and CUNY is my top pick right now. Won’t accept other offers till they get back to me. The prospect of waiting till April 15 sounds unbearable lol 

Okay the forums have been so inactive this year. If anyone is rejecting CUNY, UIC, or UMass Amherst, please let them know soon and, if you can, let us know here. 

I spent last night reading posts under waitlist movement threads from 2012 onwards looking at the fates of those waiting through April 15 and I only have a speck of hope at this point.

3 hours ago, dimsum_johnson said:

good morning everyone, this week I was rejected by my safety and got into my top choice

nothing makes sense and nothing is impossible I think

stay strong (if you feel like it)

I can totally attest to that, too: earlier this week I got accepted to Columbia (my dream program) and rejected by Fordham. 😅Anything is possible :)

Hey, I'm expecting a rejection from Harvard. I saw two acceptance results this Monday--which may mean I'll get a rejection letter by about next Monday, Right? I wish they could notify me much faster so that I can quickly move on to Plan B!

I got an email from the program director at Columbia's Middle East Institute. She said I had been admitted to their MA program. I am confused. Does anybody here know about Columbia's Middle East Institute. Although I have been through their website and all, I am not sure. Plus, I also got an offer from George Washington with MA tuition fellowship. I don't know which one to prefer.  

Hi all! Maybe an annoying question, but I have a few offers, and know that there are a few I'll be saying no to. I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about saying no for some reason, and wondering about best practices for turning offers down, especially if a department has been really enthusiastic, multiple faculty members have reached out etc. All help appreciated! 

40 minutes ago, gingergirl16 said:

Hi all! Maybe an annoying question, but I have a few offers, and know that there are a few I'll be saying no to. I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about saying no for some reason, and wondering about best practices for turning offers down, especially if a department has been really enthusiastic, multiple faculty members have reached out etc. All help appreciated! 

This is a thoughtful question. I felt the same way during my MA applications. The way I went about it was to first email the DGS telling them at least one reason why I chose another program. If they don't reply within a day (maybe they try to negotiate the offer?), I would go ahead and decline the official offer letter on the portal. I also thanked them for their enthusiasm. To the faculty members, I mentioned my interest in staying in touch (if you wish to). If they work in the exact field you're interested in, I would also ask if they'd consider being an external reader when I write the diss (I won't say this to someone who I haven't talked with in-depth about my work). To others, I just put it out there that I hope to see them at a conference or something. Hope this helps! And of course, mentioning that you're thinking about other people who're on the waitlist for that program is always a good practice.