2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

27 minutes ago, unfinished_sentenc said:

Congrats to all who got accepted to Rutgers! Did you receive the information via e-mail or was the information in the application system? I haven't received anything and honestly I just feel really defeated and sad. This was such a top choice for me and I felt that the interview went well. So now I'm just gutted :( Well, six more programs to go.. 

Hey, congrats to those admitted ones! Same here but I do not think they had sent all the offers they have, or I hope at least :)

Edited by osidosi

46 minutes ago, unfinished_sentenc said:

Congrats to all who got accepted to Rutgers! Did you receive the information via e-mail or was the information in the application system? I haven't received anything and honestly I just feel really defeated and sad. This was such a top choice for me and I felt that the interview went well. So now I'm just gutted :( Well, six more programs to go.. 

Hi, I received my acceptance by email, my portal actually doesn’t say that a decisions been made. Best of luck!!!!

17 hours ago, Jsmom said:

It seems like CUNY has not yet sent out WLs? Just informal acceptances? For those who got admitted, did you end up getting a formal acceptance? I saw a comment from someone on the results page saying that the department will send the official acceptance and funding info if they accept the offer? How can one accept an offer without being told funding info?

They notified informal offer with funding info, and said if applicants are still interested in CUNY, they would send out formal letter in the coming week.

I just got an email to check portal from WashU St.Louis and it was a rejection. This is my first admission decision received in this application season. Have anyone here been accepted to the school? Surprisingly though, I have applied to UCI and Brown who released their decisions earlier but went really quiet on me - they didn't send out anything at all for me yet. 

Just now, RGA126 said:

I just got an email to check portal from WashU St.Louis and it was a rejection. This is my first admission decision received in this application season. Have anyone here been accepted to the school? Surprisingly though, I have applied to UCI and Brown who released their decisions earlier but went really quiet on me - they didn't send out anything at all for me yet. 

For some reason it seems like Brown is slowly trickling their responses out, which doesn't appear to be the pattern they've followed in previous years. Several acceptances went out last Friday, many rejections went out this Monday, and I received a response (rejection) early in the morning yesterday (I'm east coast in the US). There's definitely hope for you though! I'm considering any school I have yet to hear back from as a school I'm still in the running for and that mentality is helping me a lot :)

Good luck on the remainder of your apps!

35 minutes ago, RGA126 said:

Hey, so sorry to hear this! I received an offer from WashU about two weeks ago. Like you, I am still waiting on Brown which is very uncharacteristic of them. Maybe they are rejecting based on cut offs (i.e., the first batch of rejections made it to the final round but were later rejected etc). Either way, still frustrating. For UCI, I didn't apply but I know some applicants who already have formal offers from the program. This is probably not the news you want to hear, but good luck! Good news is coming!

@zh_awk and @whyamIhere, Thank you for your kind words! I contacted Brown University DGS and they said that this year Brown is releasing admission decisions on a rolling basis, and I should hear from them in a week. I submitted my application closer to the deadline, so it would make perfect sense although I am really unsure about what the final decision may be. 

7 hours ago, unfinished_sentenc said:

I received an email from the GPD a few hours ago informing me that I will be admitted to the program, but they just need to sort out my funding (as I have an external grant that covers part of my expenses). They appear to still be working on how to allocate the remaining funds among the admitted students, so I really hope that other Rutgers applicants will receive some positive news in the coming days. (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚

This is the first time I'm getting any good news during this application cycle so I'm just over the moon. Yeiiiii!

On 2/5/2023 at 6:42 PM, ohnoherewegoagain said:

i applied to oregon and colorado and haven't heard anything, so you're not alone!

Can confirm nothing from Oregon. Wondering what their timeline is like.

1 minute ago, RGA126 said:

Too many, my friend, just too many times...

Me too. And it's weird because it seems like a lot of programs aren't following previous patterns, so it's making me check even more often. Totally thought I got rejected from Rutgers after having a decent interview, then got accepted (well, waitlisted for funding) three days after everyone else started hearing back.

40 minutes ago, ohnoherewegoagain said:

i actually emailed a couple of days ago and was told the department should be making decisions next week!

Ahh thanks for checking!! First time applicant and haven't heard from ANY program yet... ? a very stressful waiting process for sure.

4 hours ago, Theadora said:

How many times a day are yall checking grad cafe? 

An unhealthy amount. Very unhealthy.

Doesn't help that basically none of the programs I've applied to seem to be following any of their previous patterns/timelines for releasing decisions. I've only got two apps left pending, and one of them has now trickled out a few acceptances and rejections it seems - or maybe all, who knows, but the waiting anxiety is intense. Someone please knock me out and wake me up when they've decided to make their decisions.

I am just joining this conversation and reading everyone else's posts is wild. Each and every one of us are having very different experiences and it goes to show that the admissions process really is varied from program-to-program.

For those asking about IU, I was offered admission to the program just a day ago (along with a formal letter from department head and funding package offer). I am beyond overjoyed as this is my third wave of applications (1st wave back in 2018 and 2nd wave in 2021). Third time's the charm, I guess! ?

I was also recently admitted to the University of Kansas, waitlisted to University of Minnesota, and rejected by U-Wisc Madison. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 more programs I applied to.

This whole process is...very daunting. I can't help but check my phone and emails constantly while at work all day. I will be checking back frequently for updates. I wish everyone the best of luck on getting into their programs as we eagerly await results over the next week or so (most programs send out notifications mid-February, from my past experience of applying). Cheers.

6 hours ago, magicisreal said:

I am just joining this conversation and reading everyone else's posts is wild. Each and every one of us are having very different experiences and it goes to show that the admissions process really is varied from program-to-program.

For those asking about IU, I was offered admission to the program just a day ago (along with a formal letter from department head and funding package offer). I am beyond overjoyed as this is my third wave of applications (1st wave back in 2018 and 2nd wave in 2021). Third time's the charm, I guess! ?

I was also recently admitted to the University of Kansas, waitlisted to University of Minnesota, and rejected by U-Wisc Madison. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 more programs I applied to.

This whole process is...very daunting. I can't help but check my phone and emails constantly while at work all day. I will be checking back frequently for updates. I wish everyone the best of luck on getting into their programs as we eagerly await results over the next week or so (most programs send out notifications mid-February, from my past experience of applying). Cheers.

Congrats on the offers! Do you know yet if you'll be accepting one of them? I ask because I'm also on the waitlist at Minnesota.

5 hours ago, fhlovette said:

Congrats on the offers! Do you know yet if you'll be accepting one of them? I ask because I'm also on the waitlist at Minnesota.

Thank you! ?

I will definitely be accepting a offer, just waiting to hear back from the other schools I applied to.

As for the waitlist at UofMN, that will all depend on the other acceptances and/or rejections. I am not going to hold out until April 15th just to see if UofMN accepts me or not, as I can use that time to start looking at housing and setting up things at my committed program.

However, if UofMN is your top choice school, I recommend holding out as you never know what could change in the coming weeks, let alone full month and a half. Good luck! 

On 2/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, jackie987 said:

Hi! Have you or anyone heard back from Brown? I see some acceptances and rejections posted on the results page now, but I haven't gotten anything and not sure what that means!

I only just heard back from Brown - rejected, which isn't too surprising at this point. But congrats to those admitted!

Don't know if asking this question will help or increase my anxiety, but I've seen some acceptances for UPenn this week. Anyone know what their pattern is like, with distributing decisions? If it's a rolling thing or all in one day? I've been rejected by Brown, still haven't heard from HGSE after interviewing, and these three are all my top choices so I'm counting down the days until they're all officially dead dreams :( I know there's no such thing as a safety school and you can't really predict what's going to happen, but I don't know how much hope I have for the remaining programs I'm waiting to hear from later this month if none of these work out.

Edit: I applied and interviewed for the Harvard PhD in education, which is interdisciplinary with sociology. Forgot that doesn't really fall into this subthread!

Edited by zh_awk