2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

Since there were acceptances from Mcgill on Friday and yesterday, but seemingly silent today, I think it's reasonable to assume we will be hearing waitlists now? and potentially rejections by the end of the week? Just based on my experience on the forum last year. What do you guys think?

42 minutes ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

Since there were acceptances from Mcgill on Friday and yesterday, but seemingly silent today, I think it's reasonable to assume we will be hearing waitlists now? and potentially rejections by the end of the week? Just based on my experience on the forum last year. What do you guys think?

I got this from McGill this morning: 

"The Admission Committee is still working on the selection process it may take up to next week, before all decisions are rendered." 

No movement at any of the other schools that I've noticed! Hope you're all able to distract yourself from the wait :S

36 minutes ago, ahopelessendeavour said:

I got this from McGill this morning: 

"The Admission Committee is still working on the selection process it may take up to next week, before all decisions are rendered." 

No movement at any of the other schools that I've noticed! Hope you're all able to distract yourself from the wait :S

Is this because you asked them for an update or was this an update email?

Hey everyone, current 2nd year Dal student here! First and foremost, I know you all worked incredibly hard for this and I'm super proud of you all 😄 Im crossing my fingers for you!

Here is some info on what acceptances were like, at least 2 years ago: Dal students got their acceptances all throughout the summer, often with no warning. One of my friends got accepted 2 weeks before the program started. TWO of my classmates got accepted to Western while we were still in class during the first week of school ahaha. So it seems that there was a lot of movement on the waitlists. Unfortunately, I know that at Dal last year, there was no movement on the waitlist. Everyone who was offered a position accepted. However, I dont know when they got their acceptance, I just heard that from the faculty. 

I know this waiting time absolutely positively sucks. It's stressful not knowing what your life is going to be like in just a few months and you've put SO much of yourself into these applications. I have two pieces of advice: 1) stay busy, stay distracted, and cultivate other aspects of your life outside of school so that even if you dont get accepted, you can more easily recognize parts of your identity outside of being a prospective SLP student. Because remember, you are more than these applications! You are a full human being and acceptances are important, but they do not define you. 2) This will likely be unpopular: while youre waiting on a response do not ask people who were accepted their scores. Their scores do not effectively give you any indication if you will be accepted or not and what you are most likely doing is comparing yourself to the top of the class.  Certain schools may lean more heavily on certain aspects of an application, but they do consider apps holistically. Schools don't send out acceptances linearly by going down sGPA and caspr scores, thats just not how it works. Plus, each school has a different criteria that we may have inklings but dont truly know what they look at. For example, I got immediately rejected from Mac (my sGPA was too low to even get an interview) yet I got an acceptance from U of T April 1st. I also got 3 waitlists, McGill, Western and Dal, yet I only got off the waitlist for Dal. There was NO way for me to have predicted these results if I compared my sGPA to other people I assure you. Trust me, I hate how schools leave you in the dark and you're just trying to get some sliver of info, but I assure you that it is not productive. 

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions about the Dal program, Im happy to help in anyway I can :) 

14 minutes ago, Iam_speechie said:

Did anyone apply to uOttawa? Do you know how much they weigh GPA? 

I did! Hard to find anything on the internet about it, most people on forums discuss the English programs. Did you have someone from the department email you about the prereqs? Or did you choose them all from their list?

4 minutes ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

I did! Hard to find anything on the internet about it, most people on forums discuss the English programs. Did you have someone from the department email you about the prereqs? Or did you choose them all from their list?

Yeah I agree, I can't seem to find much info online from past students. I just chose my prereqs all from the list. 

22 minutes ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

I also applied. I emailed them about the prereqs - it was a long process for me lol, lots of emails back and forth until I found a course that worked for stats! Considering that they did not have a SOI section, I think they value GPA heavily. I'm not sure how much experience is weighed though. Did anyone apply to Laurentian ?

4 minutes ago, slpgirl0613 said:

I was just looking at the dates on ORPAS (been really anxious haha), this means the offers will start to roll out April 3rd if I'm understanding this correctly, right? Like we won't all get offers and/or rejections this same date?

ORPAS.png

For the ontario school they give out everything on this date. Usually shortly after midnight even for some schools (I got rejection letters from Mcmaster and Western around 12:30 at night, and Toronto didnt come in until approximately 11 on that day. But Im assuming waitlists would vary