2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

56 minutes ago, anonymousvulture said:

holy shit, dude. least they can do is offer you a pre-doc haha

Well, I've been told that I should've clicked twice more till I can see a completion notice. The problem is, I'm blind and I don't remember any feedback instructing me to go forward on the page, but it was a hectic day, I submitted buncha apps back to back, and somehow missed it. I've been advised to be "more patient with the system" ahahaha, "Great feedback, thanks, I now see the wrong in my ways..."

One upside though, after this I was like I've been shot with a tranquilizer, seriously, I became effing zen about the whole process. BC if you can work for sth for months and one small mistake can lead you here, seriously all it would take was two more clicks, you can have no control whatsoever about the bigger, more important aspects of this, what you can control is the process before you hit "submit" So if I'm not in charge no need for me to become supercharged about anything. Yeah, you came here for possible updates on your applications, little did you know that you would get a rant pseudo-philosophizing about those from a random stranger. :)

I couldn't submit two applications bc I didn't have enough funds to complete them by the deadline, so it's almost the standard for me now. 

4 minutes ago, Senochka said:

Well, I've been told that I should've clicked twice more till I can see a completion notice. The problem is, I'm blind and I don't remember any feedback instructing me to go forward on the page, but it was a hectic day, I submitted buncha apps back to back, and somehow missed it. I've been advised to be "more patient with the system" ahahaha, "Great feedback, thanks, I now see the wrong in my ways..."

One upside though, after this I was like I've been shot with a tranquilizer, seriously, I became effing zen about the whole process. BC if you can work for sth for months and one small mistake can lead you here, seriously all it would take was two more clicks, you can have no control whatsoever about the bigger, more important aspects of this, what you can control is the process before you hit "submit" So if I'm not in charge no need for me to become supercharged about anything. Yeah, you came here for possible updates on your applications, little did you know that you would get a rant pseudo-philosophizing about those from a random stranger. :)

I couldn't submit two applications bc I didn't have enough funds to complete them by the deadline, so it's almost the standard for me now. 

Little did I know the story could get worse! sorry they were so unsupportive with you. and yeah, the money thing is wild. dunno if you're american, but I'm from south america and the exchange rate is wild. I've gotten fee waivers in 5 of 7 apps I've made, thankfully. It's wild to me that some private universities don't offer them, or put quotas. some of these places are filthy rich (looking at you Northwestern)

On 1/16/2023 at 3:53 AM, Lalanala said:

Hi all, just get accepted by McCourt MPP and Harris MPP, I want to explore my career in consulting firms in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love the McCourt location, but accordingly Harris ranked higher. On the other hand, Harris MPP have a large amount of students. which program is better for my career goal? Please help! Thanks for answering !

Harris hands down has more consulting opportunities.

36 minutes ago, lalalalalala123 said:

I was really surprised wustl sent their results that early this year.

My first offer!! Also surprised by how early they released the result.

I saw all the update of WashU on the result page is acceptance, and I was also told the formal offer will come later. Maybe only a first group of students get the result? Still felt like dreaming tho, and kind of worrying if they send the email to a wrong person (like me) lol

59 minutes ago, lalalalalala123 said:

I was really surprised wustl sent their results that early this year.

Congrats! Have you received an email and had your status page updated?

I see nothing on my status page, just the list of the docs I submitted.

Or maybe there is a different page?

17 minutes ago, PippenRabbit said:

My first offer!! Also surprised by how early they released the result.

I saw all the update of WashU on the result page is acceptance, and I was also told the formal offer will come later. Maybe only a first group of students get the result? Still felt like dreaming tho, and kind of worrying if they send the email to a wrong person (like me) lol

Congratulations! I still haven't received anything, so fingers crossed the other ones who have applied will one way or another hear back.

2 minutes ago, qampus said:

Congrats! Have you received an email and had your status page updated?

I see nothing on my status page, just the list of the docs I submitted.

Or maybe there is a different page?

I was about to apply wustl cus I had sort of good connection. But I misread their ddl. So never able to submit the application :(

3 minutes ago, lalalalalala123 said:

I was about to apply wustl cus I had sort of good connection. But I misread their ddl. So never able to submit the application :(

Then how do you know the decisions are being sent out? Has someone told you?

1 minute ago, lalalalalala123 said:

I saw a lot of accepts on the results page. So I assume they released their results. Cus last year, the offers were sent on Feb. Thats why i was surprised.

Could you send me the link to the results page, please? I don't know where it is.

8 minutes ago, lalalalalala123 said:

Click on the "results" page on gradcafe.

Thanks! I saw some unrelated decisions from WUSTL tho, something like Immunology or Medicine. Although one person here has said that her or his decision has been received already.

13 hours ago, anonymousvulture said:

Little did I know the story could get worse! sorry they were so unsupportive with you. and yeah, the money thing is wild. dunno if you're american, but I'm from south america and the exchange rate is wild. I've gotten fee waivers in 5 of 7 apps I've made, thankfully. It's wild to me that some private universities don't offer them, or put quotas. some of these places are filthy rich (looking at you Northwestern)

I'm from Turkey and suffered much due to exchange rates during the process. True that some of those in the top 50 have endowments surpassing the GDPs of the poorer half of the world's countries, and that money is partly made by selling dreams to us, so... :)  In all seriousness, though, I believe if a person had shed sweat and tears and completed years of training before coming to a school's door for a PhD, the school should at least give the student a chance at FairPlay by lifting stupid obstacles such as fees on the way. I received waivers for about half of my apps, some of these are from schools with the biggest endowments and names where I don't stand a chance. So only two of the waivers had actually done a meaningful job. Some schools are asking for GRE fee waivers as a prerequisite, and I'm like "Where in the world an enterprise offers special services to you that involve preparing special material, shipping them across the world, and charge nothing for it?" Seriously, what are the chances of a disabled International student receiving test fee waivers? The whole system is engineered to make the students, domestic and int'l alike, feel like hurdle race horses.

2 hours ago, TerribleTowel said:

I also got an unofficial acceptance from Washington St. Louis - funding email will come later. There is no change on the portal. The email was from the admissions director and was sent at exactly 1 pm central time.

Congrats! Does it mean that if there is no funding = practically a rejection? I mean, an acceptance is great, but what is the use of it without funding?