2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

3 hours ago, theorysc said:

Feeling so anxious! Just found this forum today. I'm waiting on Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, San Diego, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Northwestern, U Chicago, and Minnesota. 

Finally, somebody who's applied to UCSB as well. lol (when do you think we will hear from them?)

We also have Uchicago in common. 

30 minutes ago, kthslfmzgl said:

getting incredibly unproductive these days..... when will this waiting game come to an end...plz 

been in vicious cycle of trying to get some work done, sit down, open my computer, and refresh grad cafe and cannot go back to work....

Hello everyone! For those who applied for Georgetown University PhD program, do you know around which dates can we hear the results? 

Also just out of curiousity, How detailed do the admission committees in the US Universities examine the submitted writing samples? Do they evaluate it page by page checking from the web about our subject or mostly focus on the Methodology? I thought that maybe this took too much time for them and that's why some Programs announce results lately.

I applied to Georgetown but also no response yet and not sure when they send out emails.

For writing samples, I have a family member who has been on a lot of academic committees to distribute scholarships and stuff like that, so not the same as a PhD but I assume kind of similar in spirit. He basically told me that a committee looks at writing samples like you probably imagine, ie. they'll look at the abstract, first few pages, conclusion etc., but no one has time to read 20-30 pages to check if you have some spelling mistakes or typos in the body of the paper. 

4 minutes ago, polisci320 said:

Can you imagine getting ad revenue on page views here instead of unique visitors? The amount of refreshes has to be insane.

You are definitely right :) Even, Applyweb page can get ad revenue from refreshing application portal :)

By the way, did you also apply for the PhD programs in Europe like LSE, SciencesPo?

1 minute ago, polisci320 said:

I'm also CP and got nothing. NW is notorious for their strange, "batched" process though. They do it in spurts, from what I can gather.

One of my friends is currently doing his PhD at Northwestern and he told me that admission results from Northwestern can continue to arrive around mid and late February, based on his experience from last year.

9 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

One of my friends is currently doing his PhD at Northwestern and he told me that admission results from Northwestern can continue to arrive around mid and late February, based on his experience from last year.

I've always wondered if it's disorganization, independent subfield timelines, or just their version of a waitlist