2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

4 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

I’d be surprised if anyone had a NW rejection. Acceptances usually come in batches but rejections seem to come late and all at once.

Last year as far as I remember, almost all rejections from Northwestern come around March 2nd.

Hope that we would hear good news from Northwestern.

3 hours ago, juliacar said:

Congrats! Although I may be the only one here now with no results at all ?

You are not alone!? I applied to an institution where all three of my recommenders are members of faculty but still had heard back nothing positive.

27 minutes ago, Tele said:

For those who applied for Georgetown: I got interviewed last Friday and the professor, who is a committee member, told me that they are interviewing 15-20 shortlisted applicants. 

Can I ask which field you applied? Also, does Georgetown only accepts those who gets an interview? I haven’t heard anything from anywhere yet. ?

9 minutes ago, SH95 said:

Can I ask which field you applied? Also, does Georgetown only accepts those who gets an interview? I haven’t heard anything from anywhere yet. ?

CP and I am not sure interviews are that critical.. the professor asked me about my interests and background on method. 

I'm really getting nervous. I have applied 17 schools, currently 6 rejected. Still, I have not heard anything from these left 11 schools, including Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, Minnesota, etc. Assuming that Georgetown is having an interview for shortlisted applicants, which I also did not hear any information of. Northwestern is sending some applicants for the admission. About Cornell, nothing heard from this forum.

Do I still have a chance to be accepted? I am getting really nervous that I cannot even go to sleep well...

19 minutes ago, SH95 said:

I'm really getting nervous. I have applied 17 schools, currently 6 rejected. Still, I have not heard anything from these left 11 schools, including Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, Minnesota, etc. Assuming that Georgetown is having an interview for shortlisted applicants, which I also did not hear any information of. Northwestern is sending some applicants for the admission. About Cornell, nothing heard from this forum.

Do I still have a chance to be accepted? I am getting really nervous that I cannot even go to sleep well...

Hey hang in there! Also applied for Cornell but not hear anything yet. Per past years' record, they usually send results in mid-Feb - emm like the second to third week of Feb. 

15 minutes ago, SH95 said:

Northwestern admits in waves, with the last wave likely occurring a few weeks from now. It's not clear how they do it - could be by subfield or some other criteria. So there's still hope! Where else are you applying?

If it makes you feel any better, I know people in other fields who were rejected everywhere they applied but then were successful applying the following year. So even in the absolute worst case scenario that you get rejected everywhere, you can always work to add to your record and try again. It is stressful, but you can succeed eventually no matter what happens this cycle.

3 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

Northwestern admits in waves, with the last wave likely occurring a few weeks from now. It's not clear how they do it - could be by subfield or some other criteria. So there's still hope! Where else are you applying?

If it makes you feel any better, I know people in other fields who were rejected everywhere they applied but then were successful applying the following year. So even in the absolute worst case scenario that you get rejected everywhere, you can always work to add to your record and try again. It is stressful, but you can succeed eventually no matter what happens this cycle.

Thanks for cheering me up! I got Northwestern, Georgetown, Berkeley, Cornell, Minnesota, Princeton, Maryland, UPenn,  Connecticut, Boston, Duke left. I haven't heard any of these schools yet, not even for an interview. Do I still have a chance to be accepted without any interviews?

I do not want to think the worst scenario now. Still, thanks for your consideration.

1 hour ago, SH95 said:

Same as well. I didn't get any email from Georgetown and began to assume rejection; if they only accept those who are shortlisted and  get interview ?

16 minutes ago, SH95 said:

Thanks for cheering me up! I got Northwestern, Georgetown, Berkeley, Cornell, Minnesota, Princeton, Maryland, UPenn,  Connecticut, Boston, Duke left. I haven't heard any of these schools yet, not even for an interview. Do I still have a chance to be accepted without any interviews?

I do not want to think the worst scenario now. Still, thanks for your consideration.

I think many of your schools don't do interviews. Several haven't released results yet - I think we'll hear from Princeton and Berkeley next week while Penn will likely come closer to Feb 28. I'm not familiar with the others, but it seems that you have a fairly wide range, so there's reason to think that one could work out.

4 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

I think many of your schools don't do interviews. Several haven't released results yet - I think we'll hear from Princeton and Berkeley next week while Penn will likely come closer to Feb 28. I'm not familiar with the others, but it seems that you have a fairly wide range, so there's reason to think that one could work out.

I guess I still have a hope for being admitted, really hope so. I guess I have to wait for a longer. IT would be sad if I do not make it to Northwestern, since it's my dreamschool.

5 hours ago, TerribleTowel said:

I second that. There is no transitivity in admissions. NU was my 1st official result after a couple of presumed rejections/waitlists from lower-ranked institution - and I mention rankings as someone not into them, but just to stress how idiosyncratic the process is. Yesterday at lunch I was convinced I was applying again at year's end and everything changed. I know of people who had 12 rejects and then 1 admission into a top 10 school in said person's subfield. We just send the best signal we can and hope it doesn't get lost in the noise at least in one single departament. 

For my fellow Michigan applicants, what do you see under the "Other Required Application Materials" section on your applicant status page through the Wolverine Access portal? Pretty sure that I successfully submitted all required materials onto ApplyWeb before the deadline, but as the image attached shows, this section remains empty for me.  

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 7.57.38 PM.png

Edited by Gabbiew

2 minutes ago, Gabbiew said:

For my fellow Michigan applicants, what do you see under the "Other Required Application Materials" section on your applicant status page through the Wolverine Access portal? Pretty sure that I successfully submitted all required materials onto ApplyWeb before the deadline, but as the image attached shows, this section remains empty for me.  

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 7.57.38 PM.png

Is this normal? Anyone having the same issue? A little panicked right now.