2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

43 minutes ago, Philodemus said:

Claiming a McGill PhD acceptance. Got an informal email from the DGS late last night.

Nyce! I have applied for the M.A. with the same department, and a week ago when I called them, they told me that the M.A. applications will be reviewed after all Ph.D. ones.

Have they also sent you any financial/stipend info?

1 hour ago, PolGrad said:

Did you apply from Canada or an international applicant?

I also applied for Mcgill (from abroad) and emailed to the Department about when results would be announced. They replied to me that the Department is still reviewing the applications.

I applied from Canada. I'm not sure when more decisions will be announced, but the email mentioned the admissions committee met yesterday and recommended my admission.

1 hour ago, qampus said:

Nyce! I have applied for the M.A. with the same department, and a week ago when I called them, they told me that the M.A. applications will be reviewed after all Ph.D. ones.

Have they also sent you any financial/stipend info?

No financial info yet, they say it will come in the portal, but the email mentions a fellowship package. Good luck with your MA application! Montréal is a great city and I know friends who have enjoyed their time at McGill.

3 minutes ago, Philodemus said:

I applied from Canada. I'm not sure when more decisions will be announced, but the email mentioned the admissions committee met yesterday and recommended my admission.

No financial info yet, they say it will come in the portal, but the email mentions a fellowship package. Good luck with your MA application! Montréal is a great city and I know friends who have enjoyed their time at McGill.

I could only see one post about Mcgill University (which I think it was your post at Gradcafe). Other than that, I couldn't see any other posts on Mcgill.

Maybe I shouldnt apply for Mcgill because what I could see from previous years' posts is that this University predominantly offers admission for applicants from Canada.

30 minutes ago, Qwe12098 said:

Anyone applied to Minnesota but did not hear anything? I saw both acceptance and rejection posts, but I haven't heard anything back from them. I assume it's a waitlist?

I still have not heard anything yet, I imagine they are working their way through the list today. Anyone here claiming the rejections?

Edited by navyir

1 hour ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

hey congrats on your acceptance at ut austin- i didn't see one at the adm page though- do they also send acceptance in batches?

Im not sure about their batching but there was an informal virtual session for admitted students that also included waitlisted students. Im inferring that means they’ve more or less finalized their waitlist 

13 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Im not sure about their batching but there was an informal virtual session for admitted students that also included waitlisted students. Im inferring that means they’ve more or less finalized their waitlist 

I see! Thank you for the info! 

1 hour ago, PolGrad said:

I could only see one post about Mcgill University (which I think it was your post at Gradcafe). Other than that, I couldn't see any other posts on Mcgill.

Maybe I shouldnt apply for Mcgill because what I could see from previous years' posts is that this University predominantly offers admission for applicants from Canada.

I see one other post claiming a McGill acceptance in the political theory subfield. My decision did come a lot earlier than I expected, especially given the school's Jan 15 deadline, so I'm not sure if there will be more to come.

Like most universities, there's a preference for domestic students. However, just looking at the current PhD students listed on their website, there's fairly sizeable representation of international students from all over, so I wouldn't write it off, especially if you see a fit with the department.

13 minutes ago, Kiwi_293 said:

What makes you believe mit is this early this year? I checked last year and it was by late February. 

I should stop holding out hope I guess lol. A few years back they released in early February and it seems like many schools are releasing early this year so I figured it may go back to pre-pandemic response times. 

I am aware of the hearsay that the admission committee are more likely to reject those applicants who are actively "reaching out" to the committee for admission progress or application status, probably because they seem too desperate in doing this. Anyone ever hearing about the same thing? Do you feel like there is any factual or logical basis supporting this claim? I was just about to send an email to the DGS of a program to inquire about my assumed rejection, but eventually hesitated upon hearing this. 

On 1/31/2023 at 9:48 AM, theorysc said:

Feeling so anxious! Just found this forum today. I'm waiting on Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, San Diego, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Northwestern, U Chicago, and Minnesota. 

We have a very similar list (i'm also Theory subfield), haven't heard anything from Minnesota yet so i'm assuming that's a rejection ?

49 minutes ago, Gabbiew said:

I am aware of the hearsay that the admission committee are more likely to reject those applicants who are actively "reaching out" to the committee for admission progress or application status, probably because they seem too desperate in doing this. Anyone ever hearing about the same thing? Do you feel like there is any factual or logical basis supporting this claim? I was just about to send an email to the DGS of a program to inquire about my assumed rejection, but eventually hesitated upon hearing this. 

i would not send that email lol, i don't know if there's any evidence that it hurts your chances but if it might risk it at all why not just wait?