2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

Just got out of my Yale interview. 

That was stressful. The most formal one I've done by far. Hope everyone else has mentally recovered from the experience. 

I hope you can't tell how sweaty I am through a camera. 

Edited by Gkrenz

I thought academia presumed "smart individuals"... Okay, at least "polite individuals"... But this is terrible.

I emailed some of the programs - no response.

I called - they told me to SEND THEM AN EMAIL [some of my puke reaches the bottom of my throat when I hear "send us an email"...] I send THEM an email - no response.

Okay, I get it: I have to wait. Deal. Great. Awesome. Delicious! But! I have paid the ffffqn fee (and I know I sound like a Karen now) - but why can you not just answer with a "very soon" or "on the 5th of March"?

Why does this all have to be such a badly managed process? "A university" means "educated individuals," doesn't it?

Now, what's wrong with all this waiting and ignoring people's emails?

Send us an email, my ass...

7 minutes ago, Gkrenz said:

Just got out of my Yale interview. 

That was stressful. The most formal one I've done by far. Hope everyone else has mentally recovered from the experience. 

I hope you can't tell how sweaty I am through a camera. 

I didn't know that Yale Political Science Department conducts interviews with PhD applicants.

19 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

I didn't know that Yale Political Science Department conducts interviews with PhD applicants.

Oh I don’t know how I ended up in this section, I am in a totally different field, my mistake 

Anyone claiming the zoom call acceptance from Harvard? I didn't know that they would be reaching out to applicants via zoom lol (It's under Government so not in the main Political Science results)

Edited by wubble
wording

2 hours ago, qampus said:

I thought academia presumed "smart individuals"... Okay, at least "polite individuals"... But this is terrible.

I emailed some of the programs - no response.

I called - they told me to SEND THEM AN EMAIL [some of my puke reaches the bottom of my throat when I hear "send us an email"...] I send THEM an email - no response.

Okay, I get it: I have to wait. Deal. Great. Awesome. Delicious! But! I have paid the ffffqn fee (and I know I sound like a Karen now) - but why can you not just answer with a "very soon" or "on the 5th of March"?

Why does this all have to be such a badly managed process? "A university" means "educated individuals," doesn't it?

Now, what's wrong with all this waiting and ignoring people's emails?

Send us an email, my ass...

I've never heard of academics being presumed polite lol

14 minutes ago, securityscholar said:

Columbia announced the rest of the results. Mine is a rejection, which makes almost all of my applications rejections... Tough luck.

Hope you are doing okay... it's weird that I still haven't heard anything from Columbia. just checked my spam. Is it from DGS or is it from the poli sci deparment?

6 minutes ago, macshmai said:

Hope you are doing okay... it's weird that I still haven't heard anything from Columbia. just checked my spam. Is it from DGS or is it from the poli sci deparment?

Same for me; I still haven't heard anything from Columbia and I regularly check my emails and my portal.

I also wanted my application to be evaluated for my 2nd choice; I thought that this might be the reason but I am not sure. 

4 minutes ago, macshmai said:

This is my second cycle, so my prospects don't look that good. But who knows what the future will bring? Thank you for the kind message.

I got a mail from the graduate school directing me to the application page. Your case might be a waitlist since some schools did not announce their waitlist candidates until later.

3 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

Same for me; I still haven't heard anything from Columbia and I regularly check my emails and my portal.

I also wanted my application to be evaluated for my 2nd choice; I thought that this might be the reason but I am not sure. 

That makes sense. I also signed up for a 2nd choice... but honestly it doesn't really matter now...

1 minute ago, chairman mao said:

I haven’t heard back either and my strong guess is it pertains to acceptance into the masters program

I am an International Applicant from abroad; do you know how frequently does Columbia Department of Political Science offer tuition funding if an applicant was offered admission?

2 minutes ago, Obscurepun said:

Claiming Stanford acceptance. I am literally in shock! I got a call from a member of the admissions committee. I’m IR (if helpful).

I would like to congratulate you; you have been having really successful application cycle; you received admission offer from almost every top Political Science PhD Programs :) 

7 minutes ago, securityscholar said:

This is my second cycle, so my prospects don't look that good. But who knows what the future will bring? Thank you for the kind message.

I got a mail from the graduate school directing me to the application page. Your case might be a waitlist since some schools did not announce their waitlist candidates until later.

I wish you all the best for your academic career and don't worry. As an applicant from Turkey like you, what I learned from this application cycle is that unfortunately compared to the applicants from the US or some countries; we do not have the same level of chance for getting admission from the PhD programs in the US; regardless of our grades, well-prepared SOP documents etc.