2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

6 hours ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

uhh receiving the same aid package that MAPSS gave me two years ago after receiving (and excelling) similar training in a similar oriented program…very convinced that I had a very negative letter at this point.
plus, 🤬 Chicago…

If it helps at all, I don't think its necessarily a bad letter (saw your other post). I think after COVID, a lot of PhD students haven't graduated or been hired, and a lot are still working on their projects, therefore professors have less capacity to take on more students, even though they are highly qualified. It's all really a gamble. Because of the COVID effect and hiring issues too (a sad trend from the last decade or so), I've also noticed a lot more incoming graduate students have either a master's degree (or two!) or full-time research experience for a few years, plus often work experience in addition, before getting into some of the top-ranked programs. It's really created a lot of unfortunate downstream effects, and most programs haven't returned to their original size (and probably won't unfortunately :(). All of this to say, it sucks that a lot of qualified students aren't getting their dream placements and are getting the same offers from pre-COVID, despite taking the time to improve their applications the last few years. I feel ya :( 

18 minutes ago, feijoada said:

hey guys, do you think is still too early to begin a new topic about 22/23 results??

i'll be applying this year, and would love to hear more about what happened and your thoughts on this cycle...

Probably not. We're on the tail end things of now with mostly just rejections trickling in and people waiting to get off the waitlist. I think all the T20s have sent their stuff. But the vast majority of people haven't made their decision yet and those will be made in the next 4-6 weeks. 

19 hours ago, feijoada said:

hey guys, do you think is still too early to begin a new topic about 22/23 results??

i'll be applying this year, and would love to hear more about what happened and your thoughts on this cycle...

I think we could maybe give It a couple of weeks. There are still a couple of important things unfolding: the long wait of waitlists and the negotiating/choosing of different programs. They might even feel secondary now, but I for one wish I was more prepared for the latter lol. 

On 3/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, feijoada said:

speaking for myself, i won't be able to make a decision until later this month since my last visit day is cornell on march 26-28. 

claiming UCLA waitlist! my #1 choice dear god pleaaaaaaaaseeeeeee 😭😭😭.

Any advice on what i can do about this? i know its a little ridiculous but maybe I can email them back saying I'm willing to take less funding for a year or something idk

Also any idea on the odds of getting in off the waitlist?

Edited by chairman mao

17 hours ago, kthslfmzgl said:

is anyone from CP still waiting from Northwestern?

Me, I didn't get an e-mail or a portal update, but, as another user already said, I don't want to read too much into it... 

21 hours ago, Crossed_fingers said:

I've still got nothing from UIUC too

I didn't get anything from UIUC as well, and someone claimed a waitlist here, so I was like, "No acceptance, no rejection, no waitlist, then what?" I contacted them and they said they were making some students wait because the process was still ongoing, and they didn't know whether or how much they will have to turn to their waitlist. So I interpreted it as I'm on a some sort of waitlist, but that waitlist was not a priority waitlist. Like, they notified people whom they want to enroll if their admits committed elsewhere, and were keeping some of us at bay if those prioritized waitlists go somewhere else. So if we don't make it, we'll be like "Oh it's just a late rejection." I don't know, I'm super confused and can cite nothing but my rear as my resource for all these deductions. Still, I think it's safe to assume that we're on some type of waitlist. This is a bit like that "Are we officially a thing?" phase in a relationship and sucks for the party who asks the question, which, in this case, is us the applicants.

For Northwestern, a similar scenario is possible, but is is also possible that they are releasing rejections in batches because all decisions should be certified by the proper authority, and academics in charge of that process are in no shortage of dull and boring paperwork, I don't know.

In the past, some schools rejected me and didn't bother telling me that until I asked them about it numerous times, so... Yeah, let's be cautiously optimistic with 3:1 ratio.

Also, I haven't heard anything from Georgetown and UC Merced.