2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

7 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Just got an email rejection from UW-Madison. They said theyve “completed their work for the 2023 entering class”.

I also got the rejection for UW-Madison. First decision of the cycle for me. 

On 1/18/2023 at 3:07 AM, Lalanala said:

I got my result from McCourt (MPP) on the 13th without an interview. I think the interview is completely random. 

If you don’t interview that means you aren’t being looked at for the bigger scholarships, but you can still get in.

4 hours ago, politicallygrad said:

Can't wait for February to arrive. I know that Cornell has already gathered it's admission committee. NW says "in a few weeks" (assuming 3 weeks). Waiting for BU but I lost my hope for January. My gut tells me it is postponed to first week of Feb

Did Northwestern say in a few weeks as of today?

This is going to sound stupid, but what's the ordinary time interval (US) during which decisions are rolled? Is it 5 pm sharp for most of you, or do they arrive anytime during the afternoon hours? I mean, I really don't want to check my e-mail every hour or so after it's 9 am in the States, so any input is extremely valuable for me. Trying to confine my compulsions to a narrower time window... 

Edited by Senochka

26 minutes ago, Senochka said:

This is going to sound stupid, but what's the ordinary time interval (US) during which decisions are rolled? Is it 5 pm sharp for most of you, or do they arrive anytime during the afternoon hours? I mean, I really don't want to check my e-mail every hour or so after it's 9 pm in the States, so any input is extremely valuable for me. Trying to confine my compulsions to a narrower time window... 

Yes this is a very relevant info for international applicants. Pls some guidance

1 hour ago, Senochka said:

This is going to sound stupid, but what's the ordinary time interval (US) during which decisions are rolled? Is it 5 pm sharp for most of you, or do they arrive anytime during the afternoon hours? I mean, I really don't want to check my e-mail every hour or so after it's 9 am in the States, so any input is extremely valuable for me. Trying to confine my compulsions to a narrower time window... 

I was notified of my acceptance at 1pm CT. I've heard that some schools release results in the early morning, and some in the evening. Yesterday Berkeley's econ department seems to have sent out rejections around 8pm! So unfortunately there is not a narrow time interval when results are released.

My rule of thumb is that I only check my email once every two hours. It is a short enough time period that I can restrain myself from checking, but long enough that there is a reason to check. Perhaps this could work for you too.

17 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

I was notified of my acceptance at 1pm CT. I've heard that some schools release results in the early morning, and some in the evening. Yesterday Berkeley's econ department seems to have sent out rejections around 8pm! So unfortunately there is not a narrow time interval when results are released.

My rule of thumb is that I only check my email once every two hours. It is a short enough time period that I can restrain myself from checking, but long enough that there is a reason to check. Perhaps this could work for you too.

I find just setting notification rules for my email to capture any potential news from the schools I applied to is very helpful to stop the compulsive refreshing of my inbox. Ok, fine...mostly stop the compulsion ?

On 1/25/2023 at 9:34 PM, Gabbiew said:

Still, anyone hearing back from Notre Dame? The deadline for virtual visit invitation is tomorrow (Jan 26th), yet the last post about interview on the GradCafe is from Jan 11th.

Is the admission committee really waiting until the final day to send out all the notifications? Or is it that applicants who already received interview invitations are just not so active on the GradCafe? ? 

Hey there - I really don't understand how the Notre Dame admissions process works because I hear they sometimes send more offers after April 15. I was invited to the virtual visit on January 6, and had to select my top 5 faculty members to interview as a part of the visit. A close friend of mine did not get an invite and we are keeping up hopes. It's not over till it's over!

13 hours ago, PolGrad said:

I also applied for Georgetown PhD program but didn't receive any email for interview. Does Georgetown Political science always do interviews with the applicants? I am an International applicant; should I assume rejection from Georgetown?

I am wondering the same! My impression is they don't interview everyone they accept so just chilling for now and hoping for the best!

5 minutes ago, marxford said:

Hey there - I really don't understand how the Notre Dame admissions process works because I hear they sometimes send more offers after April 15. I was invited to the virtual visit on January 6, and had to select my top 5 faculty members to interview as a part of the visit. A close friend of mine did not get an invite and we are keeping up hopes. It's not over till it's over!

Thanks for sharing! I think it is very strange that there are so few posts about Notre Dame interviews in this application cycle. Would you mind specifying your subfield?

15 minutes ago, Gabbiew said:

Thanks for sharing! I think it is very strange that there are so few posts about Notre Dame interviews in this application cycle. Would you mind specifying your subfield?

It is strange. Then again I understand why people stay away from forums as they can be very stress-inducing. I am logging on now cause the waiting for replies killing me x)
Sure! Comparative politics (political economy), with a regional focus on Latin America. My MPhil and undergrad from the UK and I'm a bit older (graduated UG in 2017). 

58 minutes ago, marxford said:

It is strange. Then again I understand why people stay away from forums as they can be very stress-inducing. I am logging on now cause the waiting for replies killing me x)
Sure! Comparative politics (political economy), with a regional focus on Latin America. My MPhil and undergrad from the UK and I'm a bit older (graduated UG in 2017). 

Wishing you best luck with the virtual visit!