New Orleans, LA

hannah

I wouldn't try the Bywater until you're a bit more familiar with New Orleans. 

Bayou St John is a wonderful area, but the rent prices have been going up there a TON lately. I was looking to move there a year ago, and couldn't find anything that I considered affordable- highly competitive too. Everywhere I went, things were being rented within a few hours of posting. 

Be careful of some Bayou St John tangential areas (ie, east of Broad, south of Banks). 

That will be a really nice location for SSW- parking is a nightmare downtown though, and it gets a bit sketchy around that area at night, if you have to work late. 

It is worth noting that if you do live uptown, Tulane has a very good shuttle line that goes from the commuter parking lot on the Uptown campus to the downtown campus. It's about a 20 minute ride, but it goes all day, very reliably. Most of the downtown students I know either buy parking downtown, ride a bike from Uptown, or walk to campus and take the shuttle downtown. 

Friend, a mission trip to the lower 9th and LIVING in the lower 9th are two different things. I wouldn't suggest it.

I'm planning on living uptown by the main campus, at least for a while. The drive down St Charles or S. Claiborne really isn't that bad. I'm going down on the 16th to find a place.

Based on what I've read on the med student page, the majority of them (and graduate students in general) live uptown or in the garden district. Some live in the CBD/Mid City area, but not too many. Also, some live in the West Bank or in the Metairie/Kenner area, but they said there's a disconnect because of the toll bridge/traffic, etc.

Edited by Lifesaver

Friend, a mission trip to the lower 9th and LIVING in the lower 9th are two different things. I wouldn't suggest it.

I'm planning on living uptown by the main campus, at least for a while. The drive down St Charles or S. Claiborne really isn't that bad. I'm going down on the 16th to find a place.

Based on what I've read on the med student page, the majority of them (and graduate students in general) live uptown or in the garden district. Some live in the CBD/Mid City area, but not too many. Also, some live in the West Bank or in the Metairie/Kenner area, but they said there's a disconnect because of the toll bridge/traffic, etc.

Well when we're down there we live in the lower 9th for the week. Like I said I wouldn't rent an apartment down there I've just had homeowners offer me their house. But that's more of a last resort at this point I'm thinking Uptown or Midcity at this point.

I've got another question regarding apartment hunting in New Orleans- how many weeks in advance should I start looking? I've been looking at apartments just to get a sense of what's out there and what the price range is, but everything available now starts in April/May. I'd like to try and fly down there for at least a couple of days to look at things in person but I'm not sure when to do that. What would be the time to start seriously searching for an apartment where the lease would start August 1, as I anticipate starting school around mid-August? Thanks for all the help!

I've got another question regarding apartment hunting in New Orleans- how many weeks in advance should I start looking? I've been looking at apartments just to get a sense of what's out there and what the price range is, but everything available now starts in April/May. I'd like to try and fly down there for at least a couple of days to look at things in person but I'm not sure when to do that. What would be the time to start seriously searching for an apartment where the lease would start August 1, as I anticipate starting school around mid-August? Thanks for all the help!

Once this semester ends in May a lot of apartments will be vacated and they'll start listing them. I would say if you want an August move-in, start looking no later than June. It would be worth signing a lease for July even, just to make sure you get what you want. And I definitely recommend coming to look in person before you decide. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am considering accepting an offer at Tulane University and want to know if anyone could give me an idea of what living in New Orleans is like. I've heard the food and people are great, but I'd like to more about what areas are good to live in, safety, and transportation. 

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their experience and advice!

I'm currently sitting in the NO airport on my way home after my week long house hunting trip. Let me share my experience with you all who may be interested.

I used to live in LA and am very familiar with the city. I had every intention of living uptown, in walking distance of the uptown campus. After scouring Craigs List and coming up short, I got the name of a great realtor. He compiled a list of places for my original budget of $1200 a month (for a one bedroom). We looked uptown, in the garden district, in the warehouse district, in Broadmoor, Lakeview, Metairie, and Kenner over the course of the week. The first day I saw 10 apartments and disliked all but one. They were old, run down, some clean, some dirty, but all were in safe neighborhoods. We raised my budget some more, and I saw a lot of the same. Getting a nice apartment with a budget in mind has proven to be a little difficult without a roommate or two in the uptown area, since the majority of rentals are in converted houses and duplexes.

Since I need to move June 1st and definitely wanted to see the place in person, I needed to secure something this week. I ended up renting a 1 bedroom (with an attached 1 car garage) at the Saulet apartments near the convention center for $1600. Pricey, a little bit, but willing to do it for the peace of mind of an attached garage. The 1 bedrooms start at $1145, which is a really great deal if you don't have a ton of furniture (575 sq ft) and don't want roommates. The complex is gated, has two pools, a gym, a PJs (coffee shop), is large pet friendly (rare in NO!!), and is seemingly largely inhabited by grad/med students and residents. The complex appears to be well maintained and didn't remind me of animal house like the majority of the uptown places.

I've been told that a lot of stuff available for August gets posted in June, but you definitely don't want to wait til the last minute. And remember, you definitely get what you pay for in New Orleans. Also note that safety varies greatly from street to street, and safety is also a very personal concept, so it's important to go down there and check out properties in person so you can really get a feel for the exact location. Google Maps definitely helps, but it's not 100%.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Edited by Lifesaver

• 3 months later...

I will be starting a phd program at Tulane in about a month. I have a question about housing for those familiar with the area.

How much of benifit would living right next to campus be? I've found a pretty sweet place, with a roommate, that is one street over from campus. However, for the price, I could afford a nicer place if I moved a few miles away from campus.

Parking at/around Tulane seems to be a pretty big biatch. I've been to the uptown campus a few times now (I moved way too early) and parking has been near impossible each time. However, I heard there's a commuter lot on campus. So, if you can score a parking tag for the commuter lot and don't mind paying for it (no clue how much it is), then it probably wouldn't be terrible as the traffic here really isn't that bad. I really like the uptown neighborhood and wanted to live there myself, but the timing just didn't work out right for me to do so. I live much closer to the downtown campus, which is where my program is, so I probably did myself a favor in the end. Where is your plan B location?

I should probably update my last post for the sake of comparison for anyone else who's looking for housing. I ended up having to change apartments, so I didn't rent the $1600 one. I'm in a smaller 1bedroom with no balcony, no garage, for $1250. I've been here about three weeks now and I like the neighborhood, it's super convenient to the interstate, and the gym is wonderful.

Depending on the commuter lot, you don't have to pay for parking. 

If you park at the one on Broadway and Leake, there's a shuttle on to campus every 20 minutes all day, and parking is free (no tag needed). 

There's another one by the north end of campus, and that one is quite expensive. 

Personally, I can't see paying that much for a small apartment, but it all depends what you want. We live out in the suburbs a bit (still within 15 min to campus), and pay $1400 for a two bedroom house with a nice yard, all utilities included. 

• 3 years later...

Re-awakening this thread: 

Cutting straight to the chase here to give you my parameters and questions. 

- Looking for a single or studio (no significant other or kids,  holla y'all). 

- Max budget = $1,300 /month

- Car is essentially hot garbage- need to be bikeable or close to streetcar to get Tulane downtown campus (SOPH). 

1) Has anyone used an agent to find a place to live? I have been reached out to a few from reddit and I am cautious about their intentions... Any feedback on this? 

2) I recently went down to look at areas, and really liked the area around Magazine/Garden district, Mid-city, and CBD. Any grad students that can speak to what areas have worked/not worked for them? I know I will be working a bagillion hours a week, but I am reasonably social and could dig on some local bars and coffee joints. Which of the areas mentioned or not mentioned might be the best fit? (plzz don't say Bourbon street because I know that's a lie). 

Thanks, see you guys soon. 

• 11 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, ceterisparibus9 said:

Re-awakening this thread: 

Cutting straight to the chase here to give you my parameters and questions. 

- Looking for a single or studio (no significant other or kids,  holla y'all). 

- Max budget = $1,300 /month

- Car is essentially hot garbage- need to be bikeable or close to streetcar to get Tulane downtown campus (SOPH). 

1) Has anyone used an agent to find a place to live? I have been reached out to a few from reddit and I am cautious about their intentions... Any feedback on this? 

2) I recently went down to look at areas, and really liked the area around Magazine/Garden district, Mid-city, and CBD. Any grad students that can speak to what areas have worked/not worked for them? I know I will be working a bagillion hours a week, but I am reasonably social and could dig on some local bars and coffee joints. Which of the areas mentioned or not mentioned might be the best fit? (plzz don't say Bourbon street because I know that's a lie). 

Thanks, see you guys soon. 

I'm moving to new orleans in May so I'm curious to see what people have to say. I have heard that the Lakeview/Metairie area is safer and a little cheaper, but I haven't gone down to look at anything yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really depends if you are Uptown or Downtown campus; this reply is from a Uptown campus student perspective...

Metairie might be safer and cheaper but be ready to add 30-45 minutes to your commute. Not exactly sure but I live less than a mile from school and I still give myself at least 20 minutes to get there by bike or car. Getting off the freeway by Costco and Xavier (the nearest exit) can take forever in my experience. 

We came in July and lined up a bunch of viewings, our final one is the one we picked. 2 bedroom shotgun $1200 with me and my bf.

i see lots of for rent signs all around campus. 

Also! Join Tulane Classifieds. People post looking for roommates. 

Obviously craigslist should be taken with a grain of salt, but you can find places on there, and then decide if they seem legit. We worked with a real estate agent, we met her at the spot, but then went to her Remax office to sign all papers. 

I highly suggest this because people can get the code to a lock box, show you a place, take your deposit, and you are left in the lurch. This is a common scam everywhere, not specifically New Orleans. If something feels off; trust that instinct, ask lots of questions, don’t be afraid to wait and see other places.

We live near cross streets of Claiborne and Carrollton. We can walk to street car or bus. Stores nearby. And campus is nearby, but still far enough to not be around a bunch of frat houses. 

Hopefully this helps? 

When I first read this thread last year, I considered living in bayou St. John, and I like it up there, but it’s further from campus then I would want to be right now as I have classes 5 days a week. Maybe in my third year when I’m not so tethered to campus. 

Theres grad student housing at Deming near the French Quarter but as an uptown campus student that seems so far to me. 

• 1 year later...