Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

I had to email them several times because my GRE and transcripts were listed as "not received." Finally, last week, my GRE scores were listed as received (about 6 weeks after I sent them), but I was told that the admissions people were working frantically to organize all the transcripts (I sent them 7 weeks ago!!!). They are still listed as "not received" but I was reassured that they don't need to be resent but they have not yet been processed....<_<

Oh boy, that sounds just great. I probably better stay on top of it then, and make sure that they have (/find) everything they need. (This also makes it sound like they won't be in a position to make any admissions decisions anytime soon, btw.)

Oh boy, that sounds just great. I probably better stay on top of it then, and make sure that they have (/find) everything they need. (This also makes it sound like they won't be in a position to make any admissions decisions anytime soon, btw.)

I found staying in contact didn't make things go quicker. At this point I just think we need to wait a week or two and then hound them if nothing has changed as it sounds like they're just starting to get organized.

It looks like they may do a first round this week, then a second round in a month. I'm only guessing based on results from the past few years.

Slacktivist, Moremegil, J.Phoenix,

I was one of the early Maryland admits (comparative)and I am excited about that. I know that last year a few people were admitted very early and the other acceptances were scattered between February 18 and March 2. Remember that, unlike many schools, Maryland does not have an admit weekend in February or March. Since they don't have the pressure of getting everyone there speedily for an admit weekend, they can take more time making decisions.

Last year, seven acceptances were posted on Grad Cafe. This year, only two were listed. So my guess is that more will come, but this is a guess....I have no special knowledge.

Good luck everyone! I really hope you make it. This whole process is tough. I am stranded at home awaiting word if my current program will resume in Cairo, and I can return there. I am trying to keep busy with reading and such but I keep checking my emails to see if I get any word on anything.

Edited by wannabee

Alright guys, I'm quite speechless right now, but I just got an email with an acceptance from Yale. It was from a professor I mentioned in my SOP who is bigtime in conflict research. I'm in at Stanford already so I will have to make an unbelievably hard decision come April. I hope many of you will get similar good news soon!

Alright guys, I'm quite speechless right now, but I just got an email with an acceptance from Yale. It was from a professor I mentioned in my SOP who is bigtime in conflict research. I'm in at Stanford already so I will have to make an unbelievably hard decision come April. I hope many of you will get similar good news soon!

Congrats, sneezy!

And good luck to the rest of us :)

Congrats! I see another Yale acceptance on the board--anyone want to claim it? Starting to make me even more jittery, as I still haven't heard a word. Now I'm going to be checking my email even more!

Awesome, congratulations!!

So happy...

Accepted by Yale. An email from a professor mentioned in my SOP. Comparative...Middle East/South Asia...conflict studies.

Congratulations, sneezy and wannabee! Really, that is fantastic news.

Even though I didn't apply to Yale, I'm curious enough to ask both of you: what's your profile look like? do you have fantastic stats? some 'x' factor that you think got you in? No need to reveal specifics - I'd just like to get a ballpark estimate as to what a Yale acceptee reads like on paper :)

Congratulations again!

Well it looks like another de facto rejection for me, then. Goodbye, Yale?

I'm starting to think the same thing. It's weird, because it looks like last year Yale sent out a wave of rejections before acceptances. At the same time, their acceptances were spread out over a couple days. So perhaps there is still a glimmer of hope?

Any of the UVA acceptances here? I was wondering where on the website you can find the acceptance/rejection. Is it in the message center?

If you log into your application, at the bottom of the screen you should see a link that reads "your application decision is now available online." Click the clicky. Good luck!

It's not as cool as the Yale acceptances, but I just got a personalized email from the graduate coordinator at Claremont saying I had been accepted. Official materials wont be sent for about a week but they wanted to tell me I got in. So, there's acceptance number 2! B)

If you log into your application, at the bottom of the screen you should see a link that reads "your application decision is now available online." Click the clicky. Good luck!

Thanks, Purled! I just checked, but I don't see any link like that. No news is good news? I guess I'll just keep checking?

I'm trying to balance a glimmer of hope with potential for absolute devastation. Here's hoping! Congrats to those who got in, I'm sure you'll do the grad cafe proud!

I'm starting to think the same thing. It's weird, because it looks like last year Yale sent out a wave of rejections before acceptances. At the same time, their acceptances were spread out over a couple days. So perhaps there is still a glimmer of hope?

It's not as cool as the Yale acceptances, but I just got a personalized email from the graduate coordinator at Claremont saying I had been accepted. Official materials wont be sent for about a week but they wanted to tell me I got in. So, there's acceptance number 2! B)

I was accepted at Claremont 2 years back but declined the offer as their funding sucks; they gave 25% tuition remission and no stipend for 1st year and a RA from 2nd year and full tuition remission but I had no money to pay the tuition costs as an international student from a developing nation (which is why I didn't apply this time although my fit with the department is simply the best of any school). It seems very few, if anyone at all, get 100% funding i.e. stipend + full tuition waiver. Although things improve from 2nd year in the program, I'm told. I hope you get the maximum funding they offer.

Edited by mormegil

I was accepted at Claremont 2 years back but declined the offer as their funding sucks (which is why I didn't apply this time although my fit with the department is simply the best of any school). It seems very few, if anyone at all, get 100% funding i.e. stipend + full tuition waiver. Although things improve from 2nd year in the program, I'm told. I hope you get the maximum funding they offer.

Where are you applying this year? Or are you already in another program? I also thought Claremont was a good fit for me, but didn't apply there.

Where are you applying this year? Or are you already in another program? I also thought Claremont was a good fit for me, but didn't apply there.

I'm currently at a PoliSci MA program at a east coast Big East school after a year in a Sociology PhD program in a big ACC state school which I left after tangential research interests with the faculty. Applying to a broad range of schools from Top 15 to non-Top 50 ranked ones. Already 4 rejections from the top ranked choices (Penn State, Wisconsin, UVA, WashU).

Edited by mormegil

Congrats. You must be one of everyone's top choices! Like the blonde in the game theory bit in A Beautiful Mind