Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

On 3/3/2011 at 11:52 AM, adela_heartless said:

same as above.

"While we would like to fund all of our students, our resources are limited. We cannot offer you funding at this time. Be assured that if additional funding does become available, you will be given full consideration. "

My professor said that this means they wouldn't give me money in the first year and if I pass the courses I will be considered for funding for years 2-4. He said if this is from a top school, give it a try, but GWU is not worth it. :unsure:

My professor said that this means they wouldn't give me money in the first year and if I pass the courses I will be considered for funding for years 2-4. He said if this is from a top school, give it a try, but GWU does not worth it. :unsure:

Don't go anywhere unless they give you money. Once you are already there and paying full tuition why should they waste their resources on you since you are already there as opposed to funding someone else who they hope to entice?

SHOW ME THE MONEY should be everyone's mentality here.

On 3/3/2011 at 6:32 PM, Count de Monet said:

Don't go anywhere unless they give you money. Once you are already there and paying full tuition why should they waste their resources on you since you are already there as opposed to funding someone else who they hope to entice?

Well said, Count de Monet. The waiting and negotiation ahead will be tough, though, I guess. I see you are also waiting for NYU and Columbia. Hands.

To many programs your professor's saying does apply; however, GW is an exception. I don't know too much about the situation of American students. Almost all international students in political science of GW who did no get funding in their first year cannot get funding in their ensuing years. That is sad and cruel.

Thanks for the info! I won't go if there's no funding--judging from what you said, the hope seems really slim, given that I AM international. ..I've done two Masters already and I don't think I am not competitive in the job market...But I will not give up till June. Three more long months to fight!

Received the expected Chicago rejection for the PhD. Offered admission for the MA in the Committee on International Relations with no funding.

Yeah, same here. I guess they did acceptances, then rejections, then consolations Masters.

What do you think/have you heard (or anyone) about the CIR? It still seems ridiculously expensive and I only got 2/3 tuition covered...which is still great, but I'd still need about $40,000...

On 3/3/2011 at 5:55 PM, The Lorax said:

Cornell reject, speaking. Near the end of the alphabet. Maybe you were lucky and got wait listed.

I wish! So far, my outrageous record is 0-9, and still waiting for rejections from WashU, Columbia, Colorado-B, and well, Cornell.

Hope you have some acceptances.

I have a tough decision: UVa may be the only school I got into, but I'm starting to suspect I am offered no funding (many others have received offers, and I've heard nothing). Virginia's a really great school for me, but tuition is $24,000 out of state. Secondly, on their website it says "70 % of incoming PhDs are funded in their first year, *all students in good academic standing are funded in years 2-4*, and 90% are funded after 5+ years". What should I do?!? I have no student loan debt after a BS and an MA; should I just take out loans the first year? Or do you think they really won't give me funding in years 2-4?

Signed,

Freaking out!

I have a tough decision: UVa may be the only school I got into, but I'm starting to suspect I am offered no funding (many others have received offers, and I've heard nothing). Virginia's a really great school for me, but tuition is $24,000 out of state. Secondly, on their website it says "70 % of incoming PhDs are funded in their first year, *all students in good academic standing are funded in years 2-4*, and 90% are funded after 5+ years". What should I do?!? I have no student loan debt after a BS and an MA; should I just take out loans the first year? Or do you think they really won't give me funding in years 2-4?

Signed,

Freaking out!

You should talk to them directly. If they wont give you funding your first year but will guarantee funding if you meet a certain GPA in years 2-4 then get it in writing! Do it. You must get it in writing.

My friend is currently doing his MFA in music and he went to a particular program because they told him he'd get only a little funding his first semester but almost full tuition waiver in addition to his TA pay in his second semester...well guess what, they didn't and he's got nothing in writing to prove that they did say that so he's out of luck.

Aaaand there's the GWU rejection. Just got the email.

me two. strangely it's feeling somewhat good to get some closure on some of these expected rejections. also got JHU's in the mail yesterday. only one slim chance left for me.... not holding my breath. time to work on PLAN B!

On 3/4/2011 at 9:01 AM, Polly_Sigh said:

there's an WashU PhD rejection on the board... for the owner, how did that come about? did you contact the department? it seems many of us are waiting for expected rejections from them...

yeah...I haven't heard anything from WashU yet...but have long assumed that it would be a rejection.

Rejected at Vanderbilt. This is proof, ladies and gentlemen, that interviews do matter. I was told I was a "top candidate" by a professor of interest at this school in an email. This professor and I had a phone interview shortly thereafter. I usually do very well in interviews, I am quite comfortable doing them, and I always relish the opportunity to get face time or at least phone time. Unfortunately, he and I just did not hit it off at all. For several weeks after this interview - silence. Finally the expected rejection showed up today.

Vanderbilt is a great place and its reputation is rising fast, but I ended up being accepted somewhere I personally preferred over Vandy. Also, if I can't find a way to get along with my principal professor of interest, then a school quickly becomes a less appealing place to be.

Got my first mini-acceptance- rejected by Chicago's PhD program, but accepted into MAPSS with 1/3 tuition. I've always wanted to go to Chicago, so this is enticing, but the thought of nearly $30,000 in debt is daunting.

Followed Slacktivist and e-mailed the DGS at Maryland and heard back that I'm wait listed. Few more weeks before I hear back for a final decision on my file which probably means I'm somewhere in middle of the wait list. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers. After a bunch of rejections, at least some sort of good news and that too on my birthday. :)

Edited by mormegil

Got my first mini-acceptance- rejected by Chicago's PhD program, but accepted into MAPSS with 1/3 tuition. I've always wanted to go to Chicago, so this is enticing, but the thought of nearly $30,000 in debt is daunting.

Chicago is also a fairly expensive city. Would you be able to cover living expenses?

I received a funded offer from Brown (actually I beleve they fund everyone they accept)and I just turned it down today. I do this with some sorrow as the faculty I would have studied with are great people. I am in comparative with a concentration in the Middle East. I hope this will help someone here leap off the waitlist.

I received a funded offer from Brown (actually I beleve they fund everyone they accept)and I just turned it down today. I do this with some sorrow as the faculty I would have studied with are great people. I am in comparative with a concentration in the Middle East. I hope this will help someone here leap off the waitlist.

I know this was meant as a ray of hope for someone, but it's really a zero-sum game, no? The fact that you turned down Brown, increasing the chances of someone on that waitlist, is counterbalanced by the fact that, I presume, you're going to accept a position somewhere else, thus diminishing the chances of someone else being accepted from the waitlist at that school.

Good: got accepted to Iowa this morning.

Bad: at a visiting weekend and feeling an intense case of imposter syndrome over needing to take calc, linear algebra, econ math camp and ICPSR over the next three summers. I have to fall back on my 760 Q to believe I can get through this.