Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I know for a fact that Toronto sent out Ph.D offers on Monday of this week. MA offers will go out early next week.

I see. Thanks for the information. Well, the funding that people posted on the results page made me think that I'd probably accept my current offer anyway, but it would have been nice to get an accept from Toronto.

I see. Thanks for the information. Well, the funding that people posted on the results page made me think that I'd probably accept my current offer anyway, but it would have been nice to get an accept from Toronto.

UWO is a wonderful school. I would be happy to go there.

UWO is a wonderful school. I would be happy to go there.

Oh, don't get me wrong: the offer is very generous and I'm feeling quite good about the fit and atmosphere there. I'd be very happy to go to Western. Like everything else, though, it's always nice to be accepted rather than rejected, and I would have been encouraged by a Toronto admit, as with all the other schools I applied to.

Call Veri, the graduate assistant. If you have yet to hear, you are probably on the waitlist.

she never answers when i call. hmm i hope thats what it means at least there is still a chance. Everyone that has been accepted please go ahead and turn it down!

Oh, don't get me wrong: the offer is very generous and I'm feeling quite good about the fit and atmosphere there. I'd be very happy to go to Western. Like everything else, though, it's always nice to be accepted rather than rejected, and I would have been encouraged by a Toronto admit, as with all the other schools I applied to.

blah blah blah competitive pool of applicants blah blah very sorry blah blah

she never answers when i call. hmm i hope thats what it means at least there is still a chance. Everyone that has been accepted please go ahead and turn it down!

they will be mailing out decisions later today or tomorrow. Should arrive this weekend or early next week. emails should arrive sooner... doesnt seem like good news but we shall see

So, I've now visited one campus, and I was very impressed. They've been very generous with their financial offer, they have some outstanding faculty and they seem like a very non-neurotic, non-cutthroat group.

I have two more visits scheduled but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut it down to one more. I wouldn't say that I've eliminated the third school, but their offer is significantly less generous financially (as in roughly half as much money) and I just don't think they have enough of an edge in quality to cause me to choose them with that financial aid package. I suppose there is always the possibility that they could find more money, but that may not be too plausible.

Columbia email just came, directed to website.

Official process now over. Final results: 0 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 6 rejections. So it goes.

Time to start working on a better personal statement.

Columbia email just came, directed to website.

Official process now over. Final results: 0 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 6 rejections. So it goes.

Time to start working on a better personal statement.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can't recall offhand the schools you applied to, but perhaps a greater range of schools would increase your chances. And you still have that waitlist, so don't count yourself out yet.

The rejection from Columbia was also my last decision! So relieved it's over!

Accepted: 3

Rejected: 8

Attending: Cornell

Seven of the rejections came before any acceptances and I was convinced it was curtains. So happy it wasn't all in vain!

Seven of the rejections came before any acceptances and I was convinced it was curtains. So happy it wasn't all in vain!

I am so envy of you. I applied Cornell twice and and got denied twice. T_T Congrats!

If you don't me asking -- what subfield do you work in? Just curious because I'm considering Cornell as well.. for political theory.

If you don't me asking -- what subfield do you work in? Just curious because I'm considering Cornell as well.. for political theory.

I'm in comparative, and know almost nothing about theory :( Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I will say that the folks at Cornell have been inordinately helpful and if you are interested in the program it probably wouldn't hurt to email a prof that you're interested in. Best of luck!

also confirming a Columbia reject by email. Assuming UCLA is a lost cause--which I'm assuming it us, not just by timing but also because they apparently didn't admit any people w/ a MENA focus this year--finally have all my responses. Phew!

Is anyone still waiting on Colorado-Boulder? I e-mailed earlier today since I hadn't received any notification of anything, and the reply (which was surprisingly quick) was that I hadn't made the 'first round' of accepts but that I might have a chance at the second round in April. What do you guys think this means? Unofficial waitlist? Has anyone received an actual rejection from Colorado? If it's waitlist, that puts me in a pickle because I have a deadline of March 18 for my current offer.

Ha-ha. I thought I was ancient at 30. What did you do back in the Golden Century?

Damn, I was away for a few days, so hope this isn't...erm...old news.

Most of my trajectory has been trying to find things I'm not bored with, which is no small part of why it's taken me so long to settle back down to academia -- it took me longer than some to discern the red thread that connects all my other seemingly disparate interests, and I wasn't about to go back in an area that I would get bored with after two years. (On a not unrelated note, I discovered the origin of 'red thread' as I was reading Goethe the other day -- God, I love history of political thought. High-falutin' philosophy aside, it's really just about people and how they act, which turns out to be the red thread in question. Fortunately, it is also impossible to get bored with that subject, since, no matter how hard one tries, one will never actually understand people.) I did tech support. I was homeless. I worked as an armed security guard at an intelligence agency. I was a technical administrator of a distance learning program. I got certified as an Underwater Criminal Investigator at some point. That was a highlight.

And for those who made cracks about the grey hair...I've actually been going grey since I was 19, a genetic thing. So, yes, I probably have more than anyone else in the classroom, including most of the profs! But any sort of existential crisis about getting old doesn't tend to happen when it hits you that young, you just accept it as a thing and that's that. On the other hand, it can be used to hilariously uncomfortable effect on the 22 year-olds now and then.