Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Plenty of people do that, but give some thought to putting a year or two in working.

Thanks, that's a relief to know. Since my degree finishes with 3 years of 100% pol sci I should hopefully know by next year whether I definitely want to try and do a PhD blink.gif

Thanks, that's a relief to know. Since my degree finishes with 3 years of 100% pol sci I should hopefully know by next year whether I definitely want to try and do a PhD blink.gif

I mean this respectfully, but maybe you ought to do some research on how very different political science may appear depending on if one is an undergraduate or doctoral student.

I mean this respectfully, but maybe you ought to do some research on how very different political science may appear depending on if one is an undergraduate or doctoral student.

This is another reason why I'm looking to apply to American programs as opposed to British programs. Hypothetically I could stay in the UK and take a 1 year Research degree (something I may do anyway) and then a 3 yr PhD.

I would rather try to get into a US program, have several years of coursework, teaching and research papers before progressing to the pure research component.

How did you find out about those schools? I've applied at three of them and still have one recommender that has not submitted his letter (he promises Friday and the latest).

Aaaand, now Friday has come and gone and STILL no letters in. Seriously, my first deadline was FOUR WEEKS ago and I've been dancing with this guy about this for the last two weeks.

Looks like applications are finally being sorted and reviewed at the department level.

Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago and Princeton have all indicated that they are reviewing, or at least, sorting materials for departmental review.

Can't believe it's going to be at least a month before we get any news. I'm new to this whole process, so I have a question for you.

How do you pass the time? I'm done with classes, finished writing my papers. Any suggestions?

Generally "reviewing" at this stage means "all the files have been compiled and they're ready to get read." But hey, nobody is going to be reading anything over the holiday. Generally, the very earliest responses are in the last week of January.

So that brings up your important question: what to do while waiting. Do you have any hobbies that don't include political science? Like, maybe, fun? Fun is good! In all seriousness, the best thing to do is to try and enjoy yourself by reading something you actually enjoy reading, hanging out with your friends---after all, this time next year you'll have new people you'll be hanging out with, and if they're like my officemates they'll practice poor hygiene---or taking an interesting class for once.

I got in trouble before for recommending getting drunk and watching lots of YouTube videos, but that's what I did and I got through it alive. Other than my liver, of course. YMMV.

I see no problem with drunken revelry and fully endorse watching cats play piano after taking in a semi-responsible amount of tequila.

Substitute the tequila for cheap whiskey and you've about nailed the night I submitted my final application.

Does this mean anything?

I've written emails to a number of professors who "match" my interests as well as graduate studies coordinators. Generally, I've received brief friendly responses but nothing more than that. However, this time, I was told that I am a very good match for the program and was asked to submit my credentials directly to several professors. Incidentally, these are the same faculty members I had already discussed in my SOP.

Perhaps they do this for a fair number of applicants, or does it mean anything more? Sometimes I feel that I am trying to read tea leaves.

this is my third time doing the applications and I'm a seasoned pro at this point. 13 applications to PhD programs in Theory.

First time around got me into a great MA program since no PhD programs would give me funding. Second round produced nothing. So with a year off, some more work experience, my MA and grades in hand, and a couple of conference presentations, I'm hoping for some positive results; however, I wish everyone on here the best.

I am at a school where the acceptances come out pretty early, when compared to other schools. Our adcom won't even begin looking at apps until the week before school starts for the spring semester. So, the best advice I can give is to relax and to try not to obsess about it, at least until the end of January.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wrapped up my last application today and settling in for the long, long wait. I think I'll work through my collection of Flannery O'Connor short stories.

Congrats on finishing your apps Peter12. At least the "long wait" isn't that long (depending on which schools you applied to). I'm hoping/expecting to hear from some schools in the final days of this month and early February, which isn't too far off.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as if the first acceptance for a doctoral program has gone up on the website from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Congrats to whoever this is!

Yes it looks like so but not sure if the one that is listed on the results is (the only one) via phone ... Has anyone heard from Wisconsin ?

There were certainly "bogus" entries listed in January and early February 2010. Those were mainly ivies and top 5 programs. I have no more information other than the listing on the website.

Well, University Of Wisconsin was pretty early last year as well. But there was definitely a lot of nonsense going on last year on the admissions results' page...

Sounds a bit early-ish. My first acceptances in 2008 were both on January 30. After that were a few early Februarys, and then Wisconsin chimed in at 2/9. The year before and after were similar. So, Wisconsin tends to be early February, and it tends to be after a few other programs. To be sure, dates and stuff can change, but mid-January would be REALLY early for this kind of thing. So, keep breathing.

I'll ditto Coach. I had some information tipped to me in advance of Wisconsin's decisions being formally announced a couple of years ago, but I just checked back and even that wasn't until the beginning of February. They would really have to be moving a lot more quickly this year (and it looks like Wisconsin only came back from Winter break yesterday--I really don't think the admissions committee was meeting during break...) for those to be real.