Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

There's no way they are done...I mean, I know not everyone who Stanford will accept is on this website and will report it, but since they said they wouldn't tell us until the first week in February I can only assume that some people are getting "courtesy calls" from certain professors. These aren't the official letters, but calls letting certain people know they got in.

...I hope...:unsure:

...Well the most recent Stanford acceptance seems to confirm this. Call followed by an email the next day.

Do you think they're going to continue emailing next week? Because I have a feeling that any of us who don't get a congratulatory email by tomorrow at 5 (Pacific time) won't be getting one at all...

...Well the most recent Stanford acceptance seems to confirm this. Call followed by an email the next day.

Do you think they're going to continue emailing next week? Because I have a feeling that any of us who don't get a congratulatory email by tomorrow at 5 (Pacific time) won't be getting one at all...

That's my gut feeling as well but, truth be told, we're all just guessing.

I seriously have spent the last few hours at my computer staring at my email account. I got a spam email from "Norwich University" (what the heck?) but when it came in, I could only see the "University" in the heading. For about .4 seconds, I was ecstatic and thought it was from Stanford. Aye.

Really excited for the positive results; none of my schools have hit the list, though.

Tufs, yea or nay on Stanford, I've got lots of faith you're going somewhere great.

Thanks. I developed an unhealthy fixation a strong interest in Stanford throughout the application process. This one will sting if I miss the cut.

Edited by Tufnel

I seriously have spent the last few hours at my computer staring at my email account. I got a spam email from "Norwich University" (what the heck?) but when it came in, I could only see the "University" in the heading. For about .4 seconds, I was ecstatic and thought it was from Stanford. Aye.

Yeah, and now another is up. Apparently a fellow resident of Europe, as it says received the 28th, which came to pass just 46 minutes ago for me here in the UK.

Here's a thought: Each acceptance email need be carefully crafted, with full information about stipend, RA/TA/fellowship funding, duration, subfield, et cetera. So if they're going through a list, that might explain why it's taking a few days. And I don't know about you, but my last name starts with a letter near the bottom. So perhaps it is just yet to come? Or does any admitted Stanford student with the last name Zonko want to correct me? Alternatively, it could be organized by subfield, in which case mine (IR) would come after AP and CP. But again, are there any IR/PT admits who want to throw this out the window?

Yeah, and now another is up. Apparently a fellow resident of Europe, as it says received the 28th, which came to pass just 46 minutes ago for me here in the UK.

Here's a thought: Each acceptance email need be carefully crafted, with full information about stipend, RA/TA/fellowship funding, duration, subfield, et cetera. So if they're going through a list, that might explain why it's taking a few days. And I don't know about you, but my last name starts with a letter near the bottom. So perhaps it is just yet to come? Or does any admitted Stanford student with the last name Zonko want to correct me? Alternatively, it could be organized by subfield, in which case mine (IR) would come after AP and CP. But again, are there any IR/PT admits who want to throw this out the window?

You're bad for my recovery process. I was all out of hope and now you're rekindling it. I'm sick with nothing better to do than stare at my computer screen.

For what it's worth (not much), the new admit could be from anywhere east of Europe.

Best of luck. I'm hoping for some 11th hour magic for us both.

Edited by Tufnel

Last year, it looks like all the Stanford acceptances went out in the last three days of the last week of January. So I'd agree that if you haven't heard by the end of Friday, it's unlikely you'll be admitted. That does leave one day in which I think they'll still be contacting people, though.

I'm in the same boat too, although I was fairly certain my chances at Stanford were extremely low before this. I rushed my SOP to get it in by the deadline (it was my earliest application deadline), so it was pretty unpolished. Honestly, if I were Stanford, I wouldn't let me in based on my application. Too bad though.

My near certainty that I won't be admitted didn't stop me from freaking out a bit when I got a call from a blocked number at about 4 pm PST today. Turned out to be a restaurant calling to confirm reservations...

Yep -- Norwich pulled the same trick on me... what is norwich, anyway....?

Yeah, last year the decisions look like they went out by post (problematic for me since I don't live in the US), but I don't know if it's the graduate school or the department that notifies. I do know that they seem to have a lot of things centralized in the my.wisc.edu system, but I don't know if that also applies to acceptances...

So last year Ohio State declared some results on the last Friday of January (today ahhhh!)

Any guesses on what the situation will be this year?

I hear that the OSU committee started meeting yesterday and is continuing today. They will possibly meet one day next week if they need more time. I don't know what that means for notices, but that's what I know.

Hi all, it's my first post here (but lurked around for some time) and I want to claim one of the UNC admissions :-).

Wish you all the best for your applications

Congrats! UNC has an excellent program.

Any more Stanford offers go out today? Wondering if they're finished already.

I would think they're still sending them - why start on a random wednesday/thursday? It doesn't make sense... Perhaps there's another batch today.

In any case, I know my heart rate will be jacked for the next 3 hours.

I would think they're still sending them - why start on a random wednesday/thursday? It doesn't make sense... Perhaps there's another batch today.

In any case, I know my heart rate will be jacked for the next 3 hours.

I am really new to this, so please forgive an ignorant question -- but how will we know if a certain school is done? Are we just guessing? I applied to both Stanford and UNC... should I just give up hope on those two right now?

I am really new to this, so please forgive an ignorant question -- but how will we know if a certain school is done? Are we just guessing? I applied to both Stanford and UNC... should I just give up hope on those two right now?

The simple answer is that it's guesswork.

By the way, what's up with the most recent Stanford post: "preliminary offers have been made." That sounds like they're done sending them out. Any thoughts, guys?

With the recent "waitlist via phone" post, I have officially decided to move on.

Looks like all offers have been made, with only waitlists and rejections remaining.

Like Tufnel, I was over-enthusiastic about Stanford, so it hurts a great deal.

Having said that, my current advisor seems to believe that there are schools that are a better fit with my interests,

so I have gained back some of my usual optimism.

Good luck to all of you! I am sure good news is imminent.

Edited by gariddong