Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Rule of thumb: don't believe it until someone claims it here.

I've always thought this to be a strange heuristic. If someone were to post something false on the results page, why wouldn't he also "claim it here" in the subforum?

I've always thought this to be a strange heuristic. If someone were to post something false on the results page, why wouldn't he also "claim it here" in the subforum?

Most people here have a certain amount of posting history that establishes us to be real people - we say what we study, where we're applying, etc. Trolling the results page is simple - a minute's work for a good amount of other people freaking out. You'd have to be fairly dedicated to messing with us to first establish yourself (falsely) on the forums and then post fake results a few weeks/months later. It's certainly possible, but I've yet to see it.

Keep in mind that sometimes professors notify some applicants about their acceptance waaay earlier than the official notification of both acceptances and rejections for various reasons. I would not jump to conclusions about the legitimacy of that post, but also I would not jump conclusions about the chances of getting into Wisconsin. I would be much more suspicious if It was Harvard or an other top 5 , not because Wisconsin is bad but because if you start trolling why wouldn't you go all the way?

Yeah, there are no guarantees. It's a little riskier to claim it, too, though. "Hey, I got into Wisconsin, too! Etc."

Keep in mind that sometimes professors notify some applicants about their acceptance waaay earlier than the official notification of both acceptances and rejections for various reasons. I would not jump to conclusions about the legitimacy of that post, but also I would not jump conclusions about the chances of getting into Wisconsin. I would be much more suspicious if It was Harvard or an other top 5 , not because Wisconsin is bad but because if you start trolling why wouldn't you go all the way?

Not that I am confident one way or the other, but as you insinuated, Harvard trolling would be much more obvious. Thus, one might pick a different school in order to increase their chances of "success."

Perhaps it's real, perhaps it's fake. 'I'm not going to worry about it.

Edited by Tufnel

Here we are - the last full week of January. I'm optimistic that this week will be the beginning of (hopefully good) news. Based on last year's notifications it looks like OSU, Wisc., and Stanford all started notifying at the end of this week. Best of luck to everyone!

Here we are - the last full week of January. I'm optimistic that this week will be the beginning of (hopefully good) news. Based on last year's notifications it looks like OSU, Wisc., and Stanford all started notifying at the end of this week. Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah, but I think Stanford will be next week. They sent out that "first week of February" email a few weeks ago, so I take them on their word.

Good news is that if they have an open house planned that early (March 3-5, was it?), it pretty much means they have to stick to the decisions timetable.

So in case anyone didn't notice, a Pittsburgh and a TAMU acceptance have been posted on the results page.

According to the results page, last year had first week of February admission offers come in from WashU, Penn. State, Northwestern, Duke, OSU, Rochester, and UNC. So one way or another, we should have more information in the next week or so.

Also, I don't know about other schools, but WashU and Rochester have been pretty consistent over the past few years in sending out admission offers by the end of the second week of February at the latest.

Edit: Also, a Virginia Ph.D acceptance is up.

Edited by RWBG

So in case anyone didn't notice...

Trust me, I noticed. I just couldn't type because my hands were too busy being wrung.

This stress is going to kill me, f'real.

Woah, UCDavis acceptance up? Anyone want to take credit?

Edited by balderdash