2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

2 minutes ago, SocialCommSLP said:

For those applying to Dal, what was your email subject and what did you include in the body of the email?

I'm thinking for subject: SCSD Submission: B00#-SLP and nothing for the body but just want to confirm!

@BrocasArea @tayslp @MarySLP

Hey! I had the same email subject but just didn't have my identification number in there. I also just stated in the body of the email that I attached my SCSD submission for consideration for admission to the SLP program with my name again.  I'm sure any format is okay as it is a little less formal :)

4 hours ago, BrocasArea said:

Hey! Because you applied last year too, your B00 number is the same. It should have said what your B00 number is in the email you received once you paid the application fee for this application cycle. As a re-applicant, I did not receive any new emails with a B00 number, just one when I paid this year that said it in the email. If you need it you should just refer to yours from last year:)

Thank you! I got the confirmation email but it doesn't say my B00 number there. Thank is fine I guess, since I already have one from last year.

4 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

For those applying to Dal, what was your email subject and what did you include in the body of the email?

I'm thinking for subject: SCSD Submission: B00#-SLP and nothing for the body but just want to confirm!

@BrocasArea @tayslp @MarySLP

lol last year I just submitted the pdf with the subject line "[lastname].[firstname].SLP Package" so I think anything of the variation you suggested would be good!

hey everyone good luck on all your applications! I'm still waiting for ORPAS to receive my transcripts from Dalhousie. I've had them sent twice now and they've never received them through the mail while ORPAs have received all my other transcripts from my other universities. I'm thinking of asking them to email them to ORPAS, does anyone know what email to use? has anyone had to email them their transcripts? 

Hey y'all! I'm still waiting for my neuroanatomy grade from the fall term for my UofA application. I want to submit soon to give my references time on their end, but I don't know when to request my transcript. For more context, I'm currently enrolled in 2 prereqs (which is the limit), first lang acquisition and cognition. I'm worried and nervous that since currently on my transcript it says "No grade reported" for neuroanatomy because my prof hasn't posted grades, my application may not be considered. I've emailed my prof asking for an update, a bunch of students and the department has emailed him and none of us have received a response. I also emailed UofA to inquire about this, but also no response. Apparently wait times for email responses from UofA is 10-14 business days, which will be way too close to the deadline if not beyond it. Should I talk about this in my personal statement? Should I just request my transcript now instead of waiting? 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:37 PM, Mads17 said:

Is anyone taking the Casper on Jan 25th for UofA deadline Feb 1? Is it too late? 

I took my Casper on January 10th. On the Casper website it says Jan 25th is the last day for UofA, so you should be good!

was on mac's website today and there were 514 applicants this year 😭..... they havent released the expected number of seats available but its usually 32. they actually over accepted last year(37). I hope that can happen again this year low-key.... otherwise chances are so slim esp since they're the only one with an interview.

how is everyone feeling overall? I'm not sure what to do now except wait. I think my subgpa should be okay for an interview offer but we won't find out until end of Februrary (from thr website).

Just wanted to get these thoughts out 😭....

Also are there any related backup programs you guys are applying for? I only applied for 3 slp and a eHealth program + am considering doing CDA too (since western said they'll accept 1 prof reference from there too), pls let me know!

Edited by SocialCommSLP

13 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

was on mac's website today and there were 514 applicants this year 😭..... they havent released the expected number of seats available but its usually 32. they actually over accepted last year(37). I hope that can happen again this year low-key.... otherwise chances are so slim esp since they're the only one with an interview.

how is everyone feeling overall? I'm not sure what to do now except wait. I think my subgpa should be okay for an interview offer but we won't find out until end of Februrary (from thr website).

Also are there any related backup programs you guys are applying for? I only applied for 3 slp and a eHealth program + am considering doing CDA too (since western said they'll accept 1 prof reference from there too), pls let me know!

Ahh that’s so many applicants!! It’s hard to say what the subGPA cutoff is, since their website only quotes “averages”. Fingers crossed for an interview at least! I applied to 4 other programs, so hoping I have a chance since they all value different things for admission. Mac is my first choice though, so the only option to get in next year is to take more courses to boost my gpa… hoping I don’t have to do that but we’ll see! Also counting on getting more volunteering experience this summer so that’ll be nice for my own learning and for applications if needed. Good luck!!

14 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

Oh wow! Feeling super nervous, especially since this is my second year applying. Just trying to stay positive as I have a higher GPA and more experiences this year but it is still definitely intimidating! Super nervous for that email in February 😳

I applied to CDA as my backup program and received my acceptance so that makes me feel slightly better. I understand your worries for sure!

Good luck everyone!!

T

3 hours ago, tothepowerof10 said:

For those who have applied to McMaster, is anyone open to creating an MMI Prep group (probably through discord) so we can get some practice in before interviews?

This is a good idea! Should we wait for offers or maybe when subgpas are out? Since by then ppl will know if they have a chance

2 hours ago, SLPcd said:

Does anyone know if after submitting your UofA application you can resubmit supporting documents? 

I was a little confused about this as well but my application is submitted and it still gives you the option to add or remove the required documents. 

7 hours ago, SLPcd said:

Does anyone know if after submitting your UofA application you can resubmit supporting documents? 

4 hours ago, tayslp said:

I was a little confused about this as well but my application is submitted and it still gives you the option to add or remove the required documents. 

We can add/remove documents up until the deadline, I believe! Not sure if we'd be able to after Feb 1.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:26 PM, Jen SLP said:

hey everyone good luck on all your applications! I'm still waiting for ORPAS to receive my transcripts from Dalhousie. I've had them sent twice now and they've never received them through the mail while ORPAs have received all my other transcripts from my other universities. I'm thinking of asking them to email them to ORPAS, does anyone know what email to use? has anyone had to email them their transcripts? 

Hey! I was waiting months for my Dal transcripts to be sent so I finally called and they said I hadn't paid for it yet (such a dumb mistake on my end) - I didn't realize you have to call to pay on the phone to complete the transcript request. I ended up just using MyCreds which was so quick and easy. Hope this helps!

Hi all,

A bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I'm wondering how long students are given to accept a place at UofA and whether any payment is due up front to keep your spot? I'm just booking a vacation and it looks like I will be gone for a large chunk of April. I'll probably be able to check my phone at some point but I'm nervous about how it's going to work if I possibly got in and needed to transfer/pay any large chunk of money. Thanks!

On 1/24/2024 at 9:40 PM, SLP_Sarah said:

Hi all,

A bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I'm wondering how long students are given to accept a place at UofA and whether any payment is due up front to keep your spot? I'm just booking a vacation and it looks like I will be gone for a large chunk of April. I'll probably be able to check my phone at some point but I'm nervous about how it's going to work if I possibly got in and needed to transfer/pay any large chunk of money. Thanks!

Hi, I’m a current U of A student! They sent out my acceptance offer on March 29 and I had until April 17 to accept it. I’ve heard the offer dates aren’t always predictable, some people heard sooner/later, but April 17 was the date everyone had to submit by. And there was no deposit needed upfront :) good luck everyone!

On 1/23/2024 at 12:07 PM, SLP2024 said:

Hey! I was waiting months for my Dal transcripts to be sent so I finally called and they said I hadn't paid for it yet (such a dumb mistake on my end) - I didn't realize you have to call to pay on the phone to complete the transcript request. I ended up just using MyCreds which was so quick and easy. Hope this helps!

yes me too! I got annoyed and ended up calling haha and it turns out I had the same problem. Mycreds was great!

On 1/30/2024 at 1:39 PM, RDHtoSLP96 said:

For UBC, what has everyone done for the prerequisite of "Speech Science"? Half of the schools do not have an equivalence yet it says it is required. Help!

didn’t apply to UBC but what school are you at? I think your best bet is to get a LOP and take an approved course at another university. This is also a weird requirement because for example at McMaster, the phonetics course counts for speech science but UBC says a course can only be used to meet one pre-requisite and phonetics is one lmao😭😭. But yea i think you should look into a LOP at Brock probably (they have a speech science concentration so they’ll have more courses that count). I think a specific anatomy course focused on speech hearing and/or swallowing that also covers measurements etc should count so if you have a course like that email them to confirm

On 1/31/2024 at 1:31 PM, SocialCommSLP said:

didn’t apply to UBC but what school are you at? I think your best bet is to get a LOP and take an approved course at another university. This is also a weird requirement because for example at McMaster, the phonetics course counts for speech science but UBC says a course can only be used to meet one pre-requisite and phonetics is one lmao😭😭. But yea i think you should look into a LOP at Brock probably (they have a speech science concentration so they’ll have more courses that count). I think a specific anatomy course focused on speech hearing and/or swallowing that also covers measurements etc should count so if you have a course like that email them to confirm

I am at UofA. Thanks for that suggestion, I never would have known that was a thing. In your experience, or from what you've heard, courses taken through another university with a letter of permission, are they online or in person?

13 hours ago, RDHtoSLP96 said:

I am at UofA. Thanks for that suggestion, I never would have known that was a thing. In your experience, or from what you've heard, courses taken through another university with a letter of permission, are they online or in person?

depends on the school and course! sometimes they’re online and sometimes they’re in person