Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

I was previously waitlisted by UC-Irvine but today I received a phone call with a follow-up e-mail notifying me of acceptance with full tuition, housing, health insurance, and a stipend. Overwhelmed is an understatement. Now the choice is between Irvine and Wisconsin-Madison. Anyone have thoughts to share on the two?

Hello! So anyone heard from Duke Evolutionary Anth? I just checked the webiste and still says 'submitted'. Getting rather impatient. I applied with Dr. Hare. Also find it odd that there have been no postings yet. Last years results show acceptances on the 1st and waitlisted notifications about this time.

Anyhow, would love to know if anyone has heard ANYTHING! ...as I'm running out of schools and just got rejected from Univeristy of Arizona after 2 interviews....

Who did you guys apply to work with? From the email I received (in response to an inquiry), it sounded as though it would depend on who your POI was as to whether you've heard or not yet. That might not be right, but that's the impression I got...

Irvine Irvine Irvine. That kind of funding is so rare in the UC...and its a UC!!! If you want a job afterwards, I would go with UCI...top notch faculty, great resources, and California. Madison is a great town, but I mean cmon...

I was previously waitlisted by UC-Irvine but today I received a phone call with a follow-up e-mail notifying me of acceptance with full tuition, housing, health insurance, and a stipend. Overwhelmed is an understatement. Now the choice is between Irvine and Wisconsin-Madison. Anyone have thoughts to share on the two?

I also applied to work with Dr. Hare and have heard nothing. A friend of mine applied to work with Dr. Churchill and he's heard nothing as well. I have a friend currenlty in the program I will see what kind of info I can get.

Hello! So anyone heard from Duke Evolutionary Anth? I just checked the webiste and still says 'submitted'. Getting rather impatient. I applied with Dr. Hare. Also find it odd that there have been no postings yet. Last years results show acceptances on the 1st and waitlisted notifications about this time.

Anyhow, would love to know if anyone has heard ANYTHING! ...as I'm running out of schools and just got rejected from Univeristy of Arizona after 2 interviews....

Irvine is definitely a stronger program. But, it is a commuter campus so it will be dead on the weekends.

I'm not familiar with Madison's department, but I will say that so far my experience with Irvine (I'm admitted also) has been great. Very warm and friendly faculty, enthusiastic grad students, supportive atmosphere, etc. I'm big on all that fuzzy quality of life stuff, so it means a lot to me to see that people are actually, you know, happy to be there smile.gif

Are you going to their visit weekend?

Hey, I just got an email response from Texas a&m anthropology department that they voted TODAY (Wed. March 9th) and that we should all receive letters in the next couple of days. This email was from Valadez, the academic admin for the anthro. department so I this is fact not guessing.

Also, did they mention whether they would update AIS or send out emails? Or will it be via snail mail only? I've been checking the website and my emails compulsively for the last couple of weeks. Thanks for all the info already, it does help settle the mind a little bit knowing the decision is finally on it's way. I submitted way early, back in September, so it's been a long wait.

I also applied to work with Dr. Hare and have heard nothing. A friend of mine applied to work with Dr. Churchill and he's heard nothing as well. I have a friend currenlty in the program I will see what kind of info I can get.

Well I guess that makes three of us then, I am also hoping to work with Dr. Hare. Please tell me if you hear anything!

Well I guess that makes three of us then, I am also hoping to work with Dr. Hare. Please tell me if you hear anything!

Make that four. Still not heard anything. He's just too darn popular!

Edited by Nessie

I have to say...I'm a little relieved to hear no one else has heard anything. Any snooping you can do would be greatly appreciated! And as someone said below, Dr. Hare is quite the celebrity, so I knew this one would be difficult.

Good luck to you guys! Hopefully we'll all have good news to post soon!

Also, did they mention whether they would update AIS or send out emails? Or will it be via snail mail only? I've been checking the website and my emails compulsively for the last couple of weeks. Thanks for all the info already, it does help settle the mind a little bit knowing the decision is finally on it's way. I submitted way early, back in September, so it's been a long wait.

No sorry, I wished I has asked that too, because I think I've been updating AIS every ten mins since I got that first email. It's making me so nervous, because on the results page of this website the only rejection from TAMU was sent via the postal service, all the acceptances got it through AIS or Email first, then got their letters. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I can't help it. I really hope we both get in!!

No sorry, I wished I has asked that too, because I think I've been updating AIS every ten mins since I got that first email. It's making me so nervous, because on the results page of this website the only rejection from TAMU was sent via the postal service, all the acceptances got it through AIS or Email first, then got their letters. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I can't help it. I really hope we both get in!!

I know I'm freaking out too. I only applied to TAMU because it's essentially the only program of it's kind. Only thing that makes me nervous about my application is my GRE, I don't do standardized tests well at all. I also bombed the ACT. From what I saw of the few anthro admits in years past though it came via postal service, so I'm hoping that no news just means it's coming the slow way.

Not that im interested in playing tit-for-tat but:

1) I wasn't aware that its a commuter campus, but I'm sure that only holds for undergrads...so unless you were looking to get hot and sweaty to lady gaga and drinking tampico laced with Popov, you should be ok

2) who picks a grad school in relation to its weekend life? weekends are for reading anyways

Irvine is definitely a stronger program. But, it is a commuter campus so it will be dead on the weekends.

Edited by newleaf

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they did in fact do interviews at the end of Jan. We have been unofficially rejected. :(

Yes it is a commuter campus. I have had lots of friends who have done Bachelors and Masters there. I was going to include "I am sure that since you will be a PhD student you probably won't even notice." I am definitely not advocating that you pick a program based on weekend life but the enviroment plays an important role. You will be there for 4+ years. I just figured it was important info.

Not that im interested in playing tit-for-tat but:

1) I wasn't aware that its a commuter campus, but I'm sure that only hold for undergrads...so unless you were looking to get hot and sweaty to lady gaga and drinking tampico laced with vodka out of plastic bottles, you should be ok

2) who picks a grad school in relation to its weekend life? weekends are for reading anyways

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they did in fact do interviews at the end of Jan. We have been unofficially rejected. :(

Wow, that really sucks :( You'd think they'd have let us know by now instead of dragging out the torture!

I know I'm freaking out too. I only applied to TAMU because it's essentially the only program of it's kind. Only thing that makes me nervous about my application is my GRE, I don't do standardized tests well at all. I also bombed the ACT. From what I saw of the few anthro admits in years past though it came via postal service, so I'm hoping that no news just means it's coming the slow way.

So I got a letter today and freaked out because it was so small, but it was just a letter confirming the receipt of my FAFSA form. You should have seen my freak out pre-opening, it was hilarious.

Here are some other programs if your interested, all international, all applications still open:

University of Bristol-England

University of Southampton- England

Bournemouth University- England

Flinders University- Australia, starts in Jan. per the AUS academic year

University of Southern Denmark- program in ALL English, free tuition if your an EU citizen

You should apply to these too! (if your okay with going abroad of course)

Edited by captain_dawdle

So I got a letter today and freaked out because it was so small, but it was just a letter confirming the receipt of my FAFSA form. You should have seen my freak out pre-opening, it was hilarious.

Here are some other programs if your interested, all international, all applications still open:

University of Southern Denmark- program in ALL English, free tuition if your an EU citizen

Not to be a negative Nancy, but don't go to any of those schools if you want to come back to the us and teach at a research 1. you'll do adjunct work for a decade before tt becomes an option. Flinders u? Wtf IS THAT? sorry to come off elitist as hell, but don't commit yourself to a dissertation that isn't worth the paper its printed on. I think people in the academy forget to realize that it's just as stratified as any other system. The elites reproduce themselves and the non elites lament.

Yeah my heart skips every time I see a new message in my inbox. It's ridiculous how stressful this whole process is.

I knew of some of these programs. I had actually been accepted to Southampton, but declined because I didn't receive any funding. I'd prefer to stay in the states since my girlfriend is here and even though Texas is far it will be easier to visit each other on breaks. The other programs here are East Carolina University through the history department and West Florida, but neither of those were a really good fit for me. I applied last year to West Florida to try and stay close to home, but was declined because of my GRE score.

Yeah my heart skips every time I see a new message in my inbox. It's ridiculous how stressful this whole process is.

I knew of some of these programs. I had actually been accepted to Southampton, but declined because I didn't receive any funding. I'd prefer to stay in the states since my girlfriend is here and even though Texas is far it will be easier to visit each other on breaks. The other programs here are East Carolina University through the history department and West Florida, but neither of those were a really good fit for me. I applied last year to West Florida to try and stay close to home, but was declined because of my GRE score.

I totally understand that, I live three hours from TAMU, and would much prefer to stay in the states. As much as I want to be on the more 'academic side/reasearch side' of nautical archaeology, I've done a field school for 6 weeks in England and absolutely loved it. I went to make sure I could handle the physical work demanded by the field and found out that not only could I handle the work, but that even those people who were 'stronger' then me would sometimes complain because they couldn't handle the mental exhaustion that comes from digging all day in the hot sun with nothing to show for it but some Roman cookware. That whole experience taught me that I could handle the more field intensive side of nautical archaeology, which is exactly what those other schools concentrate on. Especially Denmark and Australia.

Also for any 'elitist' out there, I don't care if you look down on me for getting my hands dirty, or wet as it may be in this case, but try to be respectful of the fact that not everybody has a perfect GPA and GRE and may not be admitted to the 'elitist' schools. Yes I understand your point was about teaching research in the US, but thats only one option for someone in our field.

Also I just noticed i can't access AIS, maybe it's down for maintenance?

Ans I can't wait till we can both join this group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10150142386140217&v=wall

I have to stay positive for right now and believe that we'll be meeting each other in the fall!

Edited by captain_dawdle

There are plenty of profs who got their phd outside the us and they are profs at good programs. The us is slowing losing the race of education. Started off in high school level, then slowly it happened at undergrad level, and now it's making it way to grad school. I'm getting my phd in the us because I to had an elitiest attitude but I wish I would of explore other schools outside the us

There are plenty of profs who got their phd outside the us and they are profs at good programs. The us is slowing losing the race of education. Started off in high school level, then slowly it happened at undergrad level, and now it's making it way to grad school. I'm getting my phd in the us because I to had an elitiest attitude but I wish I would of explore other schools outside the us

Maybe this is a sub-disciplinary thing, but really? Im social-cultural and the only international schools that I have seen represented at top departments that are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and sometimes a random canadian school. A lot of people here were targeting NYU. I took a quick look at their faculty profiles and all but two of their professors got their PhDs in the US. I understand that anthropology might be on its way to becoming less U.S.-dominated, but it is still the center of theory, teaching, and research. I think you could talk about "losing the race" if there was a significant percentage of new hires coming from non-US schools and we were citing a lot of non-us academics for our work. At least in social anthropology, new hires come from the elite american schools, and I'm still citing Emily Martin, not Emile Martin.

Edited by newleaf

Maybe this is a sub-disciplinary thing, but really? Im social-cultural and the only international schools that I have seen represented at top departments that are international are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, and sometimes a random canadian school. A lot of people here were targeting NYU. I took a quick look at their faculty profiles and all but two of their professors got their PhDs in the US. I understand that anthropology might be on its way to becoming less U.S.-dominated, but it is still the center of theory, teaching, and research. I think you could talk about "losing the race" if there was a significant percentage of new hires coming from non-US schools and we were citing a lot of non-us academics for our work. At least in social anthropology, new hires come from the elite american schools, and I'm still citing Emily Martin, not Emile Martin.

Don't forget that social anthropology was invented in London. And don't also forget that the intellectual scene in Paris is unreal. North American 'elitism' only really carries significance in North America. And of course, wherever you go, profs tend more often to be educated in that nation. The whole 'trading on brand' is meaningless unless you produce some research that can stand up to it of course.

In my opinion UCL is probably as good as anywhere right about now. Oxbridge are great too, as is Manchester, St.Andrews, Aberdeen and also Goldsmiths london. Don't be afraid to look outside the states!

Don't forget that social anthropology was invented in London. And don't also forget that the intellectual scene in Paris is unreal. North American 'elitism' only really carries significance in North America. And of course, wherever you go, profs tend more often to be educated in that nation. The whole 'trading on brand' is meaningless unless you produce some research that can stand up to it of course.

In my opinion UCL is probably as good as anywhere right about now. Oxbridge are great too, as is Manchester, St.Andrews, Aberdeen and also Goldsmiths london. Don't be afraid to look outside the states!

I understand that social anthropology was invented in London and that anthropology is indebted to French theory. Maybe this is a call to making the discipline more transnational, but I have never even heard of Aberdeen. I looked at faculty lists for both Aberdeen and Goldsmiths and I could not find a single faculty member's name who rang a bell. I've never heard of their department heads, but I would venture to guess that would not be the case if these students looked at faculty lists from American schools with the same prestige. Maybe not, in which case we have a very serious problem if the discipline is going to move forward. Getting back to my original point, I think one would have a hard time getting a job (in the academy) in the US with a PhD from Aberdeen since the market will have at least 3 people with similar research interests who graduated in the same year from NYU, Chicago, and Berkeley. With those names comes the names of recommenders who will be friends of faculty who will be hiring, etc. etc.

I totally understand that, I live three hours from TAMU, and would much prefer to stay in the states. As much as I want to be on the more 'academic side/reasearch side' of nautical archaeology, I've done a field school for 6 weeks in England and absolutely loved it. I went to make sure I could handle the physical work demanded by the field and found out that not only could I handle the work, but that even those people who were 'stronger' then me would sometimes complain because they couldn't handle the mental exhaustion that comes from digging all day in the hot sun with nothing to show for it but some Roman cookware. That whole experience taught me that I could handle the more field intensive side of nautical archaeology, which is exactly what those other schools concentrate on. Especially Denmark and Australia.

Also for any 'elitist' out there, I don't care if you look down on me for getting my hands dirty, or wet as it may be in this case, but try to be respectful of the fact that not everybody has a perfect GPA and GRE and may not be admitted to the 'elitist' schools. Yes I understand your point was about teaching research in the US, but thats only one option for someone in our field.

Also I just noticed i can't access AIS, maybe it's down for maintenance?

Ans I can't wait till we can both join this group:

http://www.facebook....86140217&v=wall

I have to stay positive for right now and believe that we'll be meeting each other in the fall!

damn, I just checked the mail and no letter. it has got to come on Monday, any news on your front?