Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Wow I somehow missed that links existence entirely. It still says "Submitted" so who knows what that means.

I'm in Andean studies, particularly cultural transmission, immigration and mortuary culture on the south coast. What about you?

So applying to Chicago to work with Kolata?

I'm doing the Eurasian steppe--specifically the emergence of political complexity in the Trans-Urals.

For those who applied to Duke -Evol Anthropology, decisions should start going out in Feb according to GS secretary. I'm not sure I can wait that long without losing my mind!!

Ahhh, I'm starting to get anxious about hearing back from Duke. Knowing that it's ever so close doesn't help the situation.

On another note, does anyone have any information on the state of things at UCLA? I know there have been some whisperings/results from the archeology hopefuls, but have any biological applicants heard anything as of late? The application deadline was right at the beginning of December so I can't help but feel like I'm right on the edge of hearing something.

Ahhh, I'm starting to get anxious about hearing back from Duke. Knowing that it's ever so close doesn't help the situation.

On another note, does anyone have any information on the state of things at UCLA? I know there have been some whisperings/results from the archeology hopefuls, but have any biological applicants heard anything as of late? The application deadline was right at the beginning of December so I can't help but feel like I'm right on the edge of hearing something.

There was a link posted in the earlier pages where you can enter your email and see the status of your application. Mine just said "Submitted." :(

You're right about how the deadline was early. Hawaii and Berkeley were due December 1st so I guess I'm not surprised that my 1st response was from Hawaii this past weekend through mail: rejection. *sigh*

There was a link posted in the earlier pages where you can enter your email and see the status of your application. Mine just said "Submitted." :(

You're right about how the deadline was early. Hawaii and Berkeley were due December 1st so I guess I'm not surprised that my 1st response was from Hawaii this past weekend through mail: rejection. *sigh*

And Berkeley?

anyone heard anything back from them. I am waiting on the med anthro app there.

the archaeology postings on the results forums were for The Cotsen Institute, which is a PhD in Archaeology. Completely separate from Anthropology Phd. We should all be getting our notifications around the same time according to my contact.

the archaeology postings on the results forums were for The Cotsen Institute, which is a PhD in Archaeology. Completely separate from Anthropology Phd. We should all be getting our notifications around the same time according to my contact.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification! I figured it was worth a shot to ask. Things have been pretty silent for me thus far; now I guess it's right back to waiting. :)

Hi Irishscientist,

Just saw a post in the results page stating acceptance to Chicago sociocultural anthro. Isn't it you by chance? I hope it's you anyway! Keep us updated! Did you do your HASTS interview?

Good luck

No not me. I just saw that there now. I haven't heard anything yet......

My interview for HASTS is next week; I'll let you know how it goes!

How are your apps going? Any acceptances yet?

Hi Irishscientist,

I'm having my NYU interview today. I'm losing all my senses now not because of the interview but for I haven't received any formal acceptance yet. I think I should be put in Vita (zone of social abandonment) because I can't do anything these days, merely lurking among the bunch of posts, emails and different anthro departments websites, I couldn't even go the gym last night, however, I ended up no news. Do you think no news is good news or what?

fingers crossed you'd hear from Chicago in the next few days. I told you before, I am sure you'd get in both MIT and UCB/UCSF since you are a good fit for them,

Is it possible perhaps that some of us have been unofficially waitlisted without notification?

Say one of your top picks shows five results; 1 acceptance, 1 interview, and 3 rejections, but you know nothing.

What should anyone take from that if they haven't heard a response either way?

Right now I vacillate between rejection and a "maybe", but wait for confirmation.

On 2/14/2011 at 11:14 PM, persiandoc said:

I'm having my NYU interview today. I'm losing all my senses now not because of the interview but for I haven't received any formal acceptance yet. I think I should be put in Vita (zone of social abandonment) because I can't do anything these days, merely lurking among the bunch of posts, emails and different anthro departments websites, I couldn't even go the gym last night, however, I ended up no news. Do you think no news is good news or what?

I know, isn't it strange how hard it is to focus on other things with all this uncertainty lurking around? Personally, I've received 1 official rejection, 1 unofficial rejection, and have 4 applications waiting out in limbo. It's hard to know whether to put Plan B into action (ok let's be honest.. haven't actually created a Plan B yet).

Any news on Michigan Ann Arbor, WashU or UNC Chapel Hill greatly appreciated!

My dear friend, Irishscientist,

I wouldn't say you're rejected since they made a couple of acceptances in two consecutive days. Please stay tuned and I'm sure you'd get in either Berkeley or MIT and it goes without saying you'd stand a great chance at Harvard too as far as you told me about your proposed project. you're a good fit for these three. Even if you're rejected from Chicago, heaven forbid, it'd be apparently due to the compatibility issues, etc.

I just did my NYU's interview and it was so cool. I could say it was more of a connaisance conversation rather than clarification of projects, background, etc. I hope I would hear back from either Yale or NYU with good news instead of rejection/waitlist.

Just letting you all know they'd make the final decisions by the end of THIS WEEK.

Seems like UChicago cultural anthro acceptances have been emailed out.

Having not heard anything I am presuming I can expect a rejection some time down the road. Anyone heard anything else? acceptances or rejections?

I'm the arch acceptance at UChicago on the results... From what I've heard from others, the acceptances have been sent out, but no one I know has gotten either rejections or notifications that they are on the waitlist. So there's still some hope--there is a waitlist!