2011 Theology Application Results!!!

new mexico

i'm sorry :( where will you be attending?

Candler if they don't screw me with funding. YDS if I get in -- which seems unlikely given I can't even get into HDS with a masters and post-masters degree. I might as well suck it up and pay full tuition (or so I assume I will be doing) for Candler, finish up and become a pastor and accept my role in life as someone who had to fall short of his dreams.

Candler if they don't screw me with funding. YDS if I get in -- which seems unlikely given I can't even get into HDS with a masters and post-masters degree. I might as well suck it up and pay full tuition (or so I assume I will be doing) for Candler, finish up and become a pastor and accept my role in life as someone who had to fall short of his dreams.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I was admitted but won't be going because I did not get the funding I needed and I thought I had good stats as well. I am not going to tell you that things worked out for the better ,but sometimes when you are older/non traditional right out of BA/etc, etc, it is harder to get exactly what you need funding wise/they greet the application with suspicion, etc, etc.. I still have my dreams intact, but I am not sure how to get there right now with them.

I am sad too, and I think Trin is as well. If I could reboot life and know what I wanted when I was 20, I would not be having these troubles. But I am 31, have done lots of things in my life and can't hit reboot. So, I just have to accept that it will take longer to get to work out my dreams in some form or another.

Email in my box says HDS decisions are available, but I'm afraid to look at it.

Admitted! Yay.

Alas, the aid is half-tutiion, so I am not sure how I would be able to afford to attend. Honestly, I had expected they would be a bit more generous with aid if they accepted me.

Trin,

I am in the same boat, I thought that I would get more too. Oh well!

Don't be so hard on yourself, I was admitted but won't be going because I did not get the funding I needed and I thought I had good stats as well. I am not going to tell you that things worked out for the better ,but sometimes when you are older/non traditional right out of BA/etc, etc, it is harder to get exactly what you need funding wise/they greet the application with suspicion, etc, etc.. I still have my dreams intact, but I am not sure how to get there right now with them.

I am sad too, and I think Trin is as well. If I could reboot life and know what I wanted when I was 20, I would not be having these troubles. But I am 31, have done lots of things in my life and can't hit reboot. So, I just have to accept that it will take longer to get to work out my dreams in some form or another.

Yes, I'm sad. I feel like I've worked really hard for this, and being admitted with clearly a package I couldn't accept is just an admit/deny -- a sort of polite brush off. Part of the problem for me is that I have one child who has a gapped financial aid package as an undergrad, so I took out a smallish PLUS loan for her last year and might have to do it again. My hope was that I would get enough aid that if I needed to help her, I could. Now, there's no way I could possibly take this without telling her "You either get them to increase your aid/find the money to pay for it yourself, or else you don't get to return to college next year, because I want to go to grad school instead." I can't do that to her.

When the rush is over, I'll draft some sort of appeal request to HDS Financial aid, explaining more fully my situation and asking for a reevaluation. My commitment to my daughter didn't appear in my FAFSA, because she's not considered a dependent on the taxes, or something.

Edited by Trin

Yes, I'm sad. I feel like I've worked really hard for this, and being admitted with clearly a package I couldn't accept is just an admit/deny -- a sort of polite brush off. Part of the problem for me is that I have one child who has a gapped packaged as an undergrad, so I took out a smallish PLUS loan for her last year and might have to do it again. My hope was that I would get enough aid that if I needed to help her, I could. Now, there's no way I could possibly take this without telling her "You either get them to increase your aid/find the money to pay for it yourself, or else you don't get to return to college next year, because I want to go to grad school instead." I can't do that to her.

When the rush is over, I'll draft some sort of appeal request to HDS Financial aid, explaining more fully my situation and asking for a reevaluation. My commitment to my daughter didn't appear in my FAFSA, because she's not considered a dependent on the taxes, or something.

Yeah, sad here too and feel that I worked really hard, except that I am just too old to take out huge loans for an MTS. There is a chance perhaps when people turn down offers more financial aid may come available? It never hurts to ask, and the worst you can be left with is where you are right now, with an offer you can't take because it is not enough money or worse will put you with tons more debt.

For me, I am thinking it over entirely at least for right now...I may appeal as well, but for the time being, I think I am going to simply going to think of other options.

Yeah, sad here too and feel that I worked really hard, except that I am just too old to take out huge loans for an MTS. There is a chance perhaps when people turn down offers more financial aid may come available? It never hurts to ask, and the worst you can be left with is where you are right now, with an offer you can't take because it is not enough money or worse will put you with tons more debt.

For me, I am thinking it over entirely at least for right now...I may appeal as well, but for the time being, I think I am going to simply going to think of other options.

I understand the debt situation. It's bittersweet to get in and not be funded proper, but at least you were accepted! I don't know if I can ask my wife to quit her job and "come follow me" to Atlanta especially if I don't get any decent funding. Without Leadership Candler, I can't hope for decent funding. I'm not a Methodist either. The only "pull" for the school is that I wanted to do my PHD at the GDR and maybe, just maybe they'll notice me. That's a big time commitment and a lot of "ifs" though. There's a powerful scene from LOST season 1 where John Locke pounds his fists on a buried hatch in the jungle and cries out, "I've done everything you ever wanted me to do -- so WHY did you DO THIS to ME?" That's how I feel right now. Four years of graduate work for naught. I can't get a job with an MA and MTH in Hebrew Bible. I could surrender my MA and finish an MDIV at my current school, without funding, of course. But what's that worth? Apparently not much to HDS. OR any of the PHD programs that I applied to.... What am I? Too bourgeois for them? It just totally blows to get rejected by 7/9 schools so far....there's no greater hurt than realizing that I did OK as an undergraduate, pulled myself out of the depths of Sheol for four years to get stellar grades in graduate school, and still, STILL am not as appealing a candidate as a young sprout who is fresh out of a BA program.

There's no greater hurt than the life-canceling capacities of an admissions council.

Rejected for Notre Dame MTS.

MA GPA: 3.6

GRE: 760 V, 660 Q, 5.0 AW

The rejection email said there were 190 applicants and they only took 20 this year instead of the usual 150 with 30 acceptances. It hurts to not even make the waitlist.

Rejected from Notre Dame's MTS.

Not very disappointed. Too busy salivating over the BTI... I've been accepted to Boston College, still waiting on BU.

Has anyone heard any MTS results from BU?

And to those who were rejected from Harvard/Yale, or didn't receive enough funding to sustain themselves or their families...

I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope you find peace, or that somehow things work out.

I don't blame you at all for your frustrations. If only one of us could win an amazing lottery and help everyone get the funding they need.

Best of luck, guys.

Rejected from Notre Dame's MTS.

Not very disappointed. Too busy salivating over the BTI... I've been accepted to Boston College, still waiting on BU.

Has anyone heard any MTS results from BU?

And to those who were rejected from Harvard/Yale, or didn't receive enough funding to sustain themselves or their families...

I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope you find peace, or that somehow things work out.

I don't blame you at all for your frustrations. If only one of us could win an amazing lottery and help everyone get the funding they need.

Best of luck, guys.

i found out BU via phone, and they sent out merit scholar awards on monday, i belive, via email. i got mine on Monday. i was told that the BU mail takes a while too.

I just found out that I've been admitted to Harvard Divinity's MTS Program with a focus on Religion, Literature, and Culture. I also only got half-tuition, so I understand how that can be disappointing. I'm still not sure what I'll be doing because I'm wait-listed for a PhD program. *sigh*

But anyway, I'm excited for those of us who received good news from HDS today!

I'm also curious to find the other person on the results board who was admitted to the Religion, Literature, and Culture focus. Reply here or PM me!

Edited by passionatevariety

I understand the debt situation. It's bittersweet to get in and not be funded proper, but at least you were accepted! I don't know if I can ask my wife to quit her job and "come follow me" to Atlanta especially if I don't get any decent funding. Without Leadership Candler, I can't hope for decent funding. I'm not a Methodist either. The only "pull" for the school is that I wanted to do my PHD at the GDR and maybe, just maybe they'll notice me. That's a big time commitment and a lot of "ifs" though. There's a powerful scene from LOST season 1 where John Locke pounds his fists on a buried hatch in the jungle and cries out, "I've done everythi you ever wanted me to do -- so WHY did you DO THIS to ME?" That's how I feel right now. Four years of graduate work for naught. I can't get a job with an MA and MTH in Hebrew Bible. I could surrender my MA and finish an MDIV at my current school, without funding, of course. But what's that worth? Apparently not much to HDS. OR any of the PHD programs that I applied to.... What am I? Too bourgeois for them? It just totally blows to get rejected by 7/9 schools so far....there's no greater hurt than realizing that I did OK as an undergraduate, pulled myself out of the depths of Sheol for four years to get stellar grades in graduate school, and still, STILL am not as appealing a candidate as a young sprout who is fresh out of a BA program.

There's no greater hurt than the life-canceling capacities of an admissions council.

Yeah, I am wallowing a bit myself. First of all, I am not married so any changes really only matter to my cat and me. So I cannot really help you with that. I knew going into this cycle that being older would be a hard sell, and I also have another graduate degree (MA) as well. I noticed someone else was not admitted to HDS who had a grad degree. It could be that they want to train people in their own ways and we are, in some ways' pre-trained', which is not what they are looking for in a 2 or 3 year program. Who knows, they have lots of applicants and can choose who they want and decide to not be fair, but it certainly seems being older or having a MA going into it was not a good way to get fully funded/get accepted based on the results we have seen so far. At some point, age and experience seems like baggage that needs explaining and/or reasons for rejection!

I am not quite sure what I will be doing next at this point myself, but I also have to have full funding or bust, so it will not be HDS. I don't know how old you are, but it seems like it has been like this since I got out of college, that I graduated, there were no jobs, I struggled and then people who just graduated got jobs (even though I worked and struggled), I went back to school, got an MA, and struggled and it seems I graduated (early 00's) with the MA and people with BA's straight out of college got good jobs and I was overqualified! So, I feel your pain with the come up next's grabbing all the funding!

So allow yourself your anger for a while, it does not seem entirely fair...

I just found out that I've been admitted to Harvard Divinity's MTS Program with a focus on Religion, Literature, and Culture. I also only got half-tuition, so I understand how that can be disappointing. I'm still not sure what I'll be doing because I'm wait-listed for a PhD program. *sigh*

But anyway, I'm excited for those of us who received good news from HDS today!

I'm also curious to find the other person on the results board who was admitted to the Religion, Literature, and Culture focus. Reply here or PM me!

You know, I was admitted in the Comparative Studies focus, but it was a toss up between that and RLC for me. Lots of what I do is Lit/Culture related. :-)

Alright, I am tired of moping! I applied to one school, because I knew it was the best fit for me. I put all my eggs in that basket, and I was admitted! Hurrah! This funding is just another one of many obstacles I've over come. I have a 2.67 cumulative GPA, people -- and I just got admitted to HDS! OMG! I attend a big public non-selective university, and I got admitted to HDS! So, I'll just have to take this wonderful admission as an invitation to do yet more hard work towards my goals. I *will* give the Gifford Lectures some day, after all!

"And have a little trust in us when fear obscures the path

You know we got this far, darling, not by luck, but by never turning back

Some will call on destiny, but I just call on faith

That the world won't stop, and actions speak louder

Listen to your heart, to what your heart might say

Everything we got, we got the hard way."

-- Mary Chapin Carpenter, "The Hard Way"

Woohoo! Sorry for my absence, I finally got through to Yale --I got one of Yale's "Marquand Scholars" slots! Full-tuition, plus $5k stipend annually. They called all the Marquand recipients today, but not general acceptances and scholarships/financial-aid until Monday.

So, if you applied to Yale, and didn't get a phonecall today, don't fret! There's more to come!

Woohoo! I'm still going to wait and hear on a scholarship from Duke before I make a final decision, but this kicks Princeton to the curb for me for sure.

Just reading through the thread -- sorry to the fellow applicants with HDS and YDS. I can actually sympathize a bit -- I'm married with two kids already, so I have been kinda bankin' on these as well. Godspeed, keep us posted.

LibTheologian, are you going to HDS instead of YDS, with the funding? We could potentially meet this Fall!

Congrats to the Notre Dame MTS admitted folks, as well!!

Congrats!

Just goes to show GPA isn't everything, eh?

Well, to be fair, I have a 3.996 or something in everything I've done since I returned to school, but my previous work is a 1.5, so I have worked to get straight A's in order to compensate for that.

Alright, I am tired of moping! I applied to one school, because I knew it was the best fit for me. I put all my eggs in that basket, and I was admitted! Hurrah!

Ha, I did the same thing! (and I think we received the same funding) ... and I think we also applied to the same program (comparative studies?)