It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Hey gradwoes and Kungfuzi! Will I be seeing you in the fall? I am in European history, more specifically Eastern European. But I can't make it to History Day as tickets that close to the date, from this side of the pond, are stupidly expensive.

Hey gradwoes and Kungfuzi! Will I be seeing you in the fall? I am in European history, more specifically Eastern European. But I can't make it to History Day as tickets that close to the date, from this side of the pond, are stupidly expensive.

Not sure -- I was waitlisted by Harvard and am still waiting to hear from Yale, Chicago, and UPenn. Columbia's IGH program is very attractive however.

Almost certainly won't be attending History Day, alas: first, it's a ridiculously long trip from here, and second, my ex-students' A-Level results will probably be out on 4 March. Gotta be there for them!

Hello all! Long time lurker here. I thought I'd debut on GradCafe by mentioning that on Thursday the 10th, I discovered that I had been accepted to Temple and rejected from Princeton (I'm a 20th Century Americanist). I found out that I got into Temple first, which definitely helped take the sting out of not getting into Princeton.

Edited by ThinMountainAir

Not sure -- I was waitlisted by Harvard and am still waiting to hear from Yale, Chicago, and UPenn. Columbia's IGH program is very attractive however.

Almost certainly won't be attending History Day, alas: first, it's a ridiculously long trip from here, and second, my ex-students' A-Level results will probably be out on 4 March. Gotta be there for them!

Ah, fair enough! Good luck on all of those! You might definitely have to make some tough (but attractive) choices!

Good luck to your students!

I think I may be going to Columbia in the fall, but I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools. I'm still debating whether to fly out for the program though...

Edited by gradwoes

UCSB's website says "Decision Available" but doesn't say what it is. Given that a ME history person was contacted directly about their acceptance, I'm suspecting a likely rejection.

Slaving away at NARA reading German microfilm doesn't seem to be quite worth it at the moment.. multiarchival and multilingual, psh!

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances, though!

Edited by sankd

Hello all! Long time lurker here. I thought I'd debut on GradCafe by mentioning that on Thursday the 10th, I discovered that I had been accepted to Temple and rejected from Princeton (I'm a 20th Century Americanist). I found out that I got into Temple first, which definitely helped take the sting out of not getting into Princeton.

How did you find out about Temple? It is among my top choices, for the second year in a row!

Talked to Dr. Johnson today. He said the committee at Central Michigan would have its first meeting this week and that he would let me know what happened as soon as he could...he said he'd put in a good word for me...

On 2/12/2011 at 6:29 PM, Henry Hudson said:

accepted at University of Alberta!

Congrats! I see you applied to UMichigan as well. Any idea when their results are supposed to be in? Nobody's brought up contacting their department... :P

Congrats! I see you applied to UMichigan as well. Any idea when their results are supposed to be in? Nobody's brought up contacting their department... :P

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley

Rejected:

As tickle says, sometime after the 20th. A while back, I came across a ref to the 20th somewhere online.

But looking back on last year's cycle here, it looks like two waves for around Feb 25 and then again on March 1.

I need to let SFU know by Feb 28, so I'll be contacting UMich tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted when I get a response.

How did you find out about Temple? It is among my top choices, for the second year in a row!

I met with my former thesis advisor last April. He told me I should look at Temple, especially since I'm from the Philadelphia area and would like to stay here for the foreseeable future. I'm glad I did; their US history program is great.

Thanks to Henry and ticklemepink for the info on UMichigan admissions. I was hoping it'd be sometime this week, but ah well, more waiting!

TabletopJoe, what's your history field? Are you going to Berkeley for the visitors day on March 11th? I wonder how many people were admitted...

Thanks to Henry and ticklemepink for the info on UMichigan admissions. I was hoping it'd be sometime this week, but ah well, more waiting!

TabletopJoe, what's your history field? Are you going to Berkeley for the visitors day on March 11th? I wonder how many people were admitted...

I'm in Modern Eastern European history. I will indeed be going to the visitors day (probably a good idea, since I've never actually been to the Bay Area.) I'm curious about the number of admits, too -- I stalked the Results Search here for a while, but only saw two responses under History pop up. Will you be at the visiting day?

On 2/13/2011 at 12:57 PM, Tabletop Joe said:

I'm in Modern Eastern European history. I will indeed be going to the visitors day (probably a good idea, since I've never actually been to the Bay Area.) I'm curious about the number of admits, too -- I stalked the Results Search here for a while, but only saw two responses under History pop up. Will you be at the visiting day?

Yeah, I plan on it. I have a friend already in the department also in Japanese history. And I haven't been to the Bay area since I was just starting high school, if I recall, so it'll be like the first time. Wondering what your final package offer was? Feel free to PM me!

And for anyone applying to Pitt, a professor there mentioned to me he/she was discussing my file with someone else in the department on Thursday, so I'm not sure if that tells you how soon responses will be out, but it's something at least. :) Good luck to all!