SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I was offered a Dean's fellowship to Emerson ($10,000/yr) so I can afford it now! I'm mailing my deposit and papers to them tomorrow. :)

As for people asking about CSU East Bay, I was admitted last Tuesday. In the email, they said they want a decision by April 18th (I emailed my decline today). Since I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted there, I'm assuming they're waiting to hear back from people who were offered admission before they send out another round of offers. I don't know -- I'm currently attending a CSU for undergrad and I've noticed our program's bass-ackwardness with grad school admissions is pretty staggering.

Good luck! I hope you hear from them soon!

Congratulations Ingolstadt- look forward to seeing you in the fall. Who else is going to Emerson?

I was offered a Dean's fellowship to Emerson ($10,000/yr) so I can afford it now! I'm mailing my deposit and papers to them tomorrow. :)

As for people asking about CSU East Bay, I was admitted last Tuesday. In the email, they said they want a decision by April 18th (I emailed my decline today). Since I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted there, I'm assuming they're waiting to hear back from people who were offered admission before they send out another round of offers. I don't know -- I'm currently attending a CSU for undergrad and I've noticed our program's bass-ackwardness with grad school admissions is pretty staggering.

Good luck! I hope you hear from them soon!

Wow, congrats! Did the fellowship offer come through recently?

Hi. I noticed you were accepted to the University of Connecticut. I was wondering if you don't mind what your stats were GRE and GPA? I am on the waitlist there and it is my top choice :) Congrats on your Dean's fellowship!

Hi! UConn is a great school... I wish I were in-state. My GRE was 650q/600v/5.0AW, GPA was 3.88 cumulative, 3.94 CSD. Aside from a couple of volunteering stints, I don't really have any experience though.

Thanks and I hope you get in! It was my top choice as well but I rapidly sent my decline since I realized I couldn't afford their out-of-state tuition for two years.

I saw the offer under ECommon on Wednesday of last week and the letter came through this weekend (dated 4/4). :)

I also was offered that scholarship and got it the same way as ingolstadt, in mail dated 4/4. I had actually JUST sent in my decline to Emerson the day before mainly because I was also accepted to two great Boston schools where I was offered scholarships, so I thought it would be easy to kind of take Emerson out of the running. Then I was kicking myself when I opened that letter in the mail the next day : / oh well, I am just going to have to go with the good gut feelings I got while visiting BU!

I will be applying for grad schools in the fall, and have two questions....

1) Approximately what is the total cost of completing the program at Northwestern? I am majoring in CSD, so I will have the prereq requirements. I've tried to find this information on their website, but I get confused with how it is listed.

2) Does anyone know anything about St. Xavier? Any information would be helpful!

I applied to San Diego State (rejected) and am waiting to hear back from San Jose State, Cal State East Bay, San Francisco State and the post bac program at CSU Long Beach. The waiting is driving me crazy since I have deadlines for other programs next Friday.

I'm glad someone else is waiting on them too. I only applied to SDSU (rejected), Cal State East Bay and SFSU. I have no acceptances right now so waiting on these programs is really driving me crazy! I'm coming from a different background so I'm tempted to just do online courses (through USU) for a year but hearing from these schools, even if they're rejections will at least allow me to move on...

Sidenote: Nadogirl8? You've got to be from Coronado, CA. I am too. I graduated high school in 2006. So, Hi and Good Luck. :)

I've decided on Boulder and declined the following schools (in case anyone on their waitlists is wondering):

U Illinois (told them about 2 weeks ago)

Northwestern

BU

Teachers College

UMD College Park (I was offered Fin Aid, so I hope it goes to someone here)

University of Washington, post-bacc program

Purdue University (I will tell them once I get confirmation from Boulder)

I'm truly excited!!

Good luck with your decisions and the rest of your waiting!

I will be applying for grad schools in the fall, and have two questions....

1) Approximately what is the total cost of completing the program at Northwestern? I am majoring in CSD, so I will have the prereq requirements. I've tried to find this information on their website, but I get confused with how it is listed.

2) Does anyone know anything about St. Xavier? Any information would be helpful!

Northwestern is on trimesters, so the yearly cost of attendance is about $40,000. Yes, $40,000.

Their estimated expenses, per a letter they sent with acceptance, for 2011/2012 read like this:

Tuition (3 quarters, excluding summer) $41,593

First acceptance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow had me waiting till the very end! I had given up on going to grad school already....I am so excited!!! Going to Northeastern! Moving all the way from Seattle

First acceptance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow had me waiting till the very end! I had given up on going to grad school already....I am so excited!!! Going to Northeastern! Moving all the way from Seattle

Woohoo!!!!!! Congratulations! :D

Hooray! Join the moving to Boston from the West Coast club. ;) I'm coming from Eugene, OR.

I have narrowed down my choices to the University of Oregon and Western Washington.

I am having a super difficult time deciding between the two. I visited both programs and while I think I preferred Oregon a bit more (they require you to intern at a school and at a med setting while wwu makes you choose one) but Oregon's price tag is significantly more than the other university. I don't know how to decide whether taking out loans for one school is better than staying out of debt for the other. I feel so confused.

I've decided on Boulder and declined the following schools (in case anyone on their waitlists is wondering):

U Illinois (told them about 2 weeks ago)

Northwestern

BU

Teachers College

UMD College Park (I was offered Fin Aid, so I hope it goes to someone here)

University of Washington, post-bacc program

Purdue University (I will tell them once I get confirmation from Boulder)

I'm truly excited!!

Good luck with your decisions and the rest of your waiting!

My boyfriend went and visited the open house at CU-Boulder. He just finished up his SPHSC degree last year @UW and is likely to choose CU-Boulder for SLP!! He is still waiting on Northwestern but for all intents and purposes will be going to Colorado :). Maybe you guys will be classmates? If he is for sure going, I will pm you with his info. Congrats on your decision kayrlis!! Yes, he relies on me for updates from here lol.

Northwestern is on trimesters, so the yearly cost of attendance is about $40,000. Yes, $40,000.

Their estimated expenses, per a letter they sent with acceptance, for 2011/2012 read like this:

Tuition (3 quarters, excluding summer) $41,593

The problem is that if you look at the sample curriculum / the FAQ on the department website, it actually runs year-round-- a total of eight quarters if you have a background (= ~$106k total at current tuition rates, assuming you pay full-time tuition during the externship+elective quarters).. In my case, I don't have a background, so it would have been 11 quarters total (= ~$146k).

I think NU's program is fantastic and I love Chicago / like Evanston, and were money an unlimited resource, NU totally would have been my dream school on every level.. For better or worse, though, even with a nice scholarship offered, I just couldn't wrap my head around the level of debt that would saddle with me-- I have a hard time imagining it's really worth it, personally speaking, anyway. (This said, while I'm happy with where I've decided to enroll at, it still sucked to turn Northwestern down. Such is life, though.)

I posted this in the Life Sciences section of the forum, but someone suggested I post here, as well.

I know many of you are finishing up with the application process and deciding which programs to attend. For those of you who are just beginning to apply, I have started a website/blog about the speech pathology admissions process. As I was going through the process myself, I realized how few resources there are for SLP applicants. I created the site so that prospective grad students can have access to more information about applying to SLP programs. The website is at www.slpgradadmissions.edicypages.com. Please let me know what other topics you would like me to discuss and write about.

Shut the F!@** up, ya'll are a bunch of braggert little bishes. Big ups to homogeneity, ya'll are the same, you look the same, share the same cultural background, sound the same, and are all too eager to pronounce judgement upon the growing numbers of children diagnosed with disorders in this field, who neither look like you, nor share your cultural background). Speech path is going nowhere with this maternal - lily white - I know better than you b.s. construct. Eat s*!! and die.

What exactly is your point?

Shut the F!@** up, ya'll are a bunch of braggert little bishes. Big ups to homogeneity, ya'll are the same, you look the same, share the same cultural background, sound the same, and are all too eager to pronounce judgement upon the growing numbers of children diagnosed with disorders in this field, who neither look like you, nor share your cultural background). Speech path is going nowhere with this maternal - lily white - I know better than you b.s. construct. Eat s*!! and die.

Wow. You're making a lot of assumptions. I hope you had a successful application season.

Oh, I have...that's right...I already finished grad school....silly me....and have been practicing for six years. Go harder next time.

You're pretty mature for someone who has been practicing for 6 years. And it's humorous how you think you can tell so much about our cultural backgrounds from a forum.