Updates!

I just got a call from Temple. Basically they said they don't consider an applicant without having made contact via phone w/ them. Not sure if this is a good sign or they are just contacting everyone who applies. The purpose was basically:

1. Are you still interested in attending our school?

2. Do you have any updates to provide us with since the time of your application?

3. Would you accept an offer without funding? (Apparently funding will be in short supply due to state budget cuts)

4. Do you have any questions for us?

Anyone heard anything from any other schools? Interview requests? Emails? Calls? Etc....

Thought it would be nice to keep each other updated (after all we are all in the same boat here)

That's odd. I hope most other schools aren't like that, otherwise I'm screwed... I haven't received any notices, but based on the survey results, Minnesota should be phoning me within 7-12 days. Otherwise, I'll probably be expecting a rejection letter from them in my mailbox come mid-February.

I've only applied to four programs. I've been invited to a weekend campus visit at Northwestern, and last Fall I interviewed with my POI at Wisconsin. But no news from USC Annenberg or Johns Hopkins (Health, Behavior, and Society). A friend of mine at Annenberg said that there is usually no contact before you receive an acceptance/rejection (and that they tend to make their decisions later than most schools).

This whole process sure does feel like it takes FOREVER. Good luck, everyone!!

Edited by XOwlfan

My USC app just changed status to "in review" yesterday. I actually had just checked it that morning, when it was still in the "first stage," and by the end of the day, it changed, and I'd received an email because of a missing LOR (even though the online system has it marked as submitted long ago...oh well, it'll get sorted out because Annenberg was nice enough to contact him themselves about it).

So...things are happening! cool.gif But, I still don't expect to hear from them until at least late February, based on GC's results search.

Edited by maximalist

Received an email tonight from my POI at Wisconsin that I've been accepted into the doctoral program in communication arts. They are still making admissions decisions (no finalized list as of yet)--you all will be hearing back soon! Good luck!!!!

Stats: two masters' degrees (4.0 GPA), 650(v), 780(Q), 5.5(A), no papers but a fair amount of work in tv production and evaluation

Hey, tvphd, I don't know if you're behind it, but someone noted on the survey that Temple contacted them about an interview over e-mail on the 20th. Hope you're on the list as well!

It was me. I had an interview yesterday, notified on the 20th. My POI said my stats are good and they are going to recommend admission. Let's see how it will go...

Received an email tonight from my POI at Wisconsin that I've been accepted into the doctoral program in communication arts. They are still making admissions decisions (no finalized list as of yet)--you all will be hearing back soon! Good luck!!!!

Stats: two masters' degrees (4.0 GPA), 650(v), 780(Q), 5.5(A), no papers but a fair amount of work in tv production and evaluation

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I had an interview with my POI at Comm Arts earlier this month and I am waiting for a decision...

So you have got an unofficial note from your POI or was it the official offer? I wonder if they have said anything about funding. My POI said that they fund eveybody they admit and the funding package is the same. So if I am accepted I will get the same funding as you and I wonder how much it is now. I mean - the stipend. Do you know anything about that?

What survey are you referring to?

Hey, tvphd, I don't know if you're behind it, but someone noted on the survey that Temple contacted them about an interview over e-mail on the 20th. Hope you're on the list as well!

XOwlfan....congrats on the acceptance!biggrin.gif

Hi, strangefox--I actually applied for Fall 2011--not sure why I put Spring other than sleep-deprivation-induced-error. =)

I received an email from my POI, and she said the official letter is going out in the mail this week--no mention in the email regarding funding. When I spoke with her earlier in the application process, she mentioned that students were funded but did not provide an amount. If I hear anything, I'll let you know! Cheers to good news for you too!

also--thank you, everyone! I'm so looking forward to hearing good news from all of you too!

Hi XOwlfan, congrats on your acceptance! Would you mind saying which program you were accepted into within the Communication Arts department? I'm waiting on news regarding my Media and Cultural Studies app, and I know that each program has separate app committees/procedures.

Thanks!

Hi XOwlfan, congrats on your acceptance! Would you mind saying which program you were accepted into within the Communication Arts department? I'm waiting on news regarding my Media and Cultural Studies app, and I know that each program has separate app committees/procedures.

Thanks!

Hi! I was accepted to the Communication Science program. Good luck!!

I just got an e-mail from Penn State saying that the Associate Dean wants to chat with me by phone this weekend. They were careful not to say "interview" or anything, so it might just be a first-round screening call.

Have you heard anything on your end, tvphd? (Similarly, has Miami contacted you at all since you submitted your app?)

I just got an e-mail from Penn State saying that the Associate Dean wants to chat with me by phone this weekend. They were careful not to say "interview" or anything, so it might just be a first-round screening call.

Have you heard anything on your end, tvphd? (Similarly, has Miami contacted you at all since you submitted your app?)

I heard from Miami back in December because they didnt have 1 of my documents. I had sent it, but dont know why they didnt have it, so I sent it again. The guy I spoke with wasnt the nicest which bothered me a bit. I have not heard anything from them since. I check online, but they arent updating their site. I have not heard anything from Penn State either. On the results page I saw someone else said they got an interview request. I think Penn State is a bit of a stretch for me b/c my work has been more qualitative so far and they seem more quantitative. Congrats on your contact, that can only be good news.

Have you heard anything from Texas? Was it RTF you applied to there? I got an email from them a while back saying my app was complete, but thats all I've heard. I'm hoping to hear something from someone soon. I finished all my apps pretty early and had everything submitted by Oct 15th, so I've been waiting over 3 months already! I expect those w/ 12/1 deadlines should start to announce something soon, or so I hope.

I heard from Miami back in December because they didnt have 1 of my documents. I had sent it, but dont know why they didnt have it, so I sent it again. The guy I spoke with wasnt the nicest which bothered me a bit. I have not heard anything from them since. I check online, but they arent updating their site. I have not heard anything from Penn State either. On the results page I saw someone else said they got an interview request. I think Penn State is a bit of a stretch for me b/c my work has been more qualitative so far and they seem more quantitative. Congrats on your contact, that can only be good news.

Have you heard anything from Texas? Was it RTF you applied to there? I got an email from them a while back saying my app was complete, but thats all I've heard. I'm hoping to hear something from someone soon. I finished all my apps pretty early and had everything submitted by Oct 15th, so I've been waiting over 3 months already! I expect those w/ 12/1 deadlines should start to announce something soon, or so I hope.

The interview on the results page was my doing; in retrospect, I got a little trigger happy since I'm not 100% sure it's an interview. I'll be sure to let you know if I get any more info over the weekend.

The Miami guy was pretty nice when I spoke with him, but a couple of my documents were also misplaced. That got sorted out pretty quickly, though. The MyUM gateway still lists all my materials as missing, but I did get a completed app notice from the School of Comm., so I'm hoping all's well. As far as I can tell, they tend to make decisions in mid-Feb, and I don't think they do interviews.

As for Texas, I haven't heard anything at all beyond the completed app bit, but I applied to Journalism, not RTF. (To clarify, I applied to Texas-Austin, not A&M.)

Edited by Gooner

Finally, after a bit of emailing and a phone call, a "missing" LOR for USC should be taken care of...well, provided it doesn't get lost in the abyss again, and with USPS, who knows. I don't really understand how an uploaded document that was marked as "submitted" in November can be misplaced, especially when the prof writing it is no tech dummy and managed to get the rest of the online letters uploaded. Oh well, I can only hope that, in the end, the slight hassle is worth it.

Edited by maximalist

Congrats XOwlfan! That's awesome

Has anyone else heard good news?

I have received only emails saying my apps complete and i should wait and be patience. Syracuse said it will let applicants know by the end of Jan if they are shortlisted.

Good luck to all of us.

I was accepted to GSU (where I am currently completing my MA) and was invited to the interview weekend at Northwestern last night! NU is my top choice, so I'm pretty excited.

Hey CDRR congrats on the GSU accept! I am curious, do you know if you got early notice b/c you are there are a student already of if they are sending out all notifications now? I didnt apply, but have a friend who did and would like to be able to get her an update if you happen to know. Thanks!

I was accepted to GSU (where I am currently completing my MA) and was invited to the interview weekend at Northwestern last night! NU is my top choice, so I'm pretty excited.

Wow, congrats CDRR. Mind sharing your stats? Has mass comm folk heard anything?