Updates!

Congrats, tvphd! That's great news.

I also have some happy news: Even though I got accepted to UNC at the very last minute (some time yesterday morning) - I finally decided that I'm taking the offer at UMiami. I talked to my local Fulbright office and it's the best offer. I'm so incredibly relieved I can't even put it in words...

And: No more Winter! When you come from a country where every winter you have a couple of days or weeks where nobody can leave the house, where no busses run, where there's no school, no possibilitiy to go to work.... Well, when you come from a country like this, have no winter for a couple of years seems a little surreal. But me likey! :-)

Congrats on the decision! Miami is going to be a warm, fun place to spend a few years. I'm happy for you!

I knew it! What a wonderful news, Congrats tvphd!! Sure, it looks a lot of people are getting off their waitlists, and, it turned out that I joined the club today (w/ funding, 4 years). No doubt that your cheering me up has worked! Okay, two more to go...

That's great! Good luck with the other two! Let us know how it goes!

AND......... in the eleventh hour, yours truly snags the final spot at UGA w/ funding! I am so excited. It's been a long 6 months since submitting apps. I have appreciated all of you on this forum and I am really happy to have been able to go through this experience w/ you all. Correction, I should say y'all since I will be going to Georgia. Note to self....work on southern drawl this summer. It looks like many people have been coming off wait lists, getting funding and making final decisions. May we all get what we desire, best of luck to everyone.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's so cool!!! ^_^

I am so glad for you!!!!!

Congratulations!!!! ;)

I also have some happy news: Even though I got accepted to UNC at the very last minute (some time yesterday morning) - I finally decided that I'm taking the offer at UMiami. I talked to my local Fulbright office and it's the best offer. I'm so incredibly relieved I can't even put it in words...

And: No more Winter! When you come from a country where every winter you have a couple of days or weeks where nobody can leave the house, where no busses run, where there's no school, no possibilitiy to go to work.... Well, when you come from a country like this, have no winter for a couple of years seems a little surreal. But me likey! :-)

That is awesome! Congrats! :)

And why will it be only for two years? It is a doctoral program, right? They are usually longer, I thought. Or when you said "a couple" you actually meant four? ;)

That is awesome! Congrats! :)

And why will it be only for two years? It is a doctoral program, right? They are usually longer, I thought. Or when you said "a couple" you actually meant four? ;)

It is a doctoral program, right. The "couple" was an error made in translating what I wanted to say from the German in my head to English. The german expression "ein paar" which means "a couple" can be used for two items as well as for multiple items. So I guess "a couple" always means two items in English? What I wanted to say: The program takes 3 years minimum.

It is a doctoral program, right. The "couple" was an error made in translating what I wanted to say from the German in my head to English. The german expression "ein paar" which means "a couple" can be used for two items as well as for multiple items. So I guess "a couple" always means two items in English? What I wanted to say: The program takes 3 years minimum.

I am not a native speaker so I can be mistaken here but I believe that "a couple" means one or two, may be three, but I would not say a couple about three or more of something. But may be it's just me :)

I am not a native speaker so I can be mistaken here but I believe that "a couple" means one or two, may be three, but I would not say a couple about three or more of something. But may be it's just me :)

Could one of the native speakers here in this forum confirm this please? I use the phrase "a couple" quite often and I want to avoid any missunderstandings in the future. For me, "a couple" has the same meaning as "some" (like two or more items). But as Strangefox said: Maybe it's just me ;-)

Could one of the native speakers here in this forum confirm this please? I use the phrase "a couple" quite often and I want to avoid any missunderstandings in the future. For me, "a couple" has the same meaning as "some" (like two or more items). But as Strangefox said: Maybe it's just me ;-)

Actually, I think you are right. That is what I found: "Informal A few; several: a couple of days."

A couple means two. A few refers to three, four, etc. Just confirming for you.

Congratulations, everybody! Bask in the relief of knowing where you're going :)

Edited by Gunner24

I knew it! What a wonderful news, Congrats tvphd!! Sure, it looks a lot of people are getting off their waitlists, and, it turned out that I joined the club today (w/ funding, 4 years). No doubt that your cheering me up has worked! Okay, two more to go...

Awesome! So happy for you.

that's great. Miami is such a cool place. There is no way I would have been able to go w/ out funding. they charge $1,600 per credit + fees so the whole program values out at $100,000. So, awesome that you got funding and have decided to go. No more winter for me either which I am excited about, maybe a bit colder than Miami but not stuck in the house for days on end b/c of snow. I broke my elbow this winter after falling on ice so you can imagine how I'm now anti-snow and cold.