Updates!

I completely agree with you, guys. Fit IS everything.

I felt it when I was searching for schools to apply to. I spent several month last year researching programs! My research is not in the mainstream. It is not neglected either, there are people working on these problems, but definetely fewer than on such hot-button issues as media and children or media and heath. My research is not too narrow, but my problem was that I was searching for schools with funding. I knew that I needed funding. So I started with that. Then I got a list of like 20 or something schools that looked okey money-wise and I started going through faculty pages. Finally I found only five schools with both fit and funding. But I must say that there was not the same level of fit in all these schools. And - voila - I ended up in the school with the best fit! So yes, I know, fit is everything :)

So I will say that again and again - look for fit, contact faculty - that's the key to success!

Edited by Strangefox

I just declined my offer at UW-Madison (Communication Science)--hopefully that will help someone waitlisted here!

Don't know about CS but in another track (Media and Cultural studies) they don't have waitlists. I was told so by a professor in the program.

So you are making your final decision! Good luck with that! It seems you've got several cool offer this round :)

Don't know about CS but in another track (Media and Cultural studies) they don't have waitlists. I was told so by a professor in the program.

So you are making your final decision! Good luck with that! It seems you've got several cool offer this round :)

Thank you, strangefox! I definitely feel like I've been very fortunate. My POI at Wisconsin emailed me and mentioned that the CS track had quite a few waitlisted applicants this time--not sure if anyone here applied to the CS track, but if so, good luck!

Thank you, strangefox! I definitely feel like I've been very fortunate. My POI at Wisconsin emailed me and mentioned that the CS track had quite a few waitlisted applicants this time--not sure if anyone here applied to the CS track, but if so, good luck!

Hm, that is interesting... Seems that these track's procedures are indeed very different! Anyway, somebody got lucky today, taken off the CS waitlist! :)

Had my final interview today, which was quite short! I asked more questions then they did, but it was a good interview. About 30-minutes before the interview, I recieved an email from the grad coordinator telling me that I had some funding to come visit. So, looks like I'll be visiting the campus literally the day or two before they make admission decisions.

Way to put in a good last impression, literally.

Had my final interview today, which was quite short! I asked more questions then they did, but it was a good interview. About 30-minutes before the interview, I recieved an email from the grad coordinator telling me that I had some funding to come visit. So, looks like I'll be visiting the campus literally the day or two before they make admission decisions.

So they will pay for your trip? Sounds great! I think you definetely have chances there. Good luck!!

Bravo! That's VERY promising news. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

It's getting pretty quiet around here. Who else is waiting on òne or several schools? I'm still waiting on 4 out of 5. But Tuesday was a good day last week (got accepted to IUB). So I hope for the best tomorrow ;-)

It's getting pretty quiet around here. Who else is waiting on òne or several schools? I'm still waiting on 4 out of 5. But Tuesday was a good day last week (got accepted to IUB). So I hope for the best tomorrow ;-)

I'm on an unranked waitlist, and waiting on one admission decision. My admission decisions will take every bit of 4/15...angry.gif

I'm on an unranked waitlist, and waiting on one admission decision. My admission decisions will take every bit of 4/15...angry.gif

I'm in the same boat plus one admission with funding TBA. It's going to be 4/15 for me as well!

Not waiting any more here. Today, I withdrew my app at USC, declined two offers, and accepted an offer that was a perfect fit. I'm so relieved to be out of this process--it really was excruciating. Good luck to the rest of you! I can't wait to see all the final news.

Not waiting any more here. Today, I withdrew my app at USC, declined two offers, and accepted an offer that was a perfect fit. I'm so relieved to be out of this process--it really was excruciating. Good luck to the rest of you! I can't wait to see all the final news.

Glad someone is squared away. Congrats!

Congratulations XOwlfan! Now go out and celebrate, buy yourself something nice, go to a spa or do whatever it is that you consider a selfish reward because we should all be a little selfish sometimes and you've earned it.

This is so great, hedjuk! Congrats!!!

Congratulations XOwlfan! Now go out and celebrate, buy yourself something nice, go to a spa or do whatever it is that you consider a selfish reward because we should all be a little selfish sometimes and you've earned it.

Thank you--and I LOVE your advice. Hmmmmm. How sad is it that as a reward I'd really like to clean my house?! I swear I'd be in trouble if the health department decided to drop by. :o I sort of put everything on the back burner while I numbingly hit refresh a bazillion times and pushed through my thesis and stats homework. Yeeesh!

Thank you--and I LOVE your advice. Hmmmmm. How sad is it that as a reward I'd really like to clean my house?! I swear I'd be in trouble if the health department decided to drop by. :o I sort of put everything on the back burner while I numbingly hit refresh a bazillion times and pushed through my thesis and stats homework. Yeeesh!

No better time than March for a good spring clean!

СONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Now you MUST relax! :)

Still in limbo here. Somebody posted a waitlist result for Minnesota's Comm Studies program (which is the one I've been short stacked at), but I emailed the grad coordinator and was told there was no update for me yet, but that they do, in fact, keep a waitlist. I guess that's good though? Maybe media acceptances haven't been decided completely yet. Anyway, I'll just hang out in my personal purgatory over here until the bitter end. cool.gif

Edited by maximalist

Still in limbo here. Somebody posted a waitlist result for Minnesota's Comm Studies program (which is the one I've been short stacked at), but I emailed the grad coordinator and was told there was no update for me yet, but that they do, in fact, keep a waitlist. I guess that's good though? Maybe media acceptances haven't been decided completely yet. Anyway, I'll just hang out in my personal purgatory over here until the bitter end. cool.gif

Hang in there!

I think I will be waiting till 4/15 also...

1 accept but no word on funding yet.

1 waitlist, "high on list" but exact placement unknown

2 schools waiting to hear.

At least I'm not checking my email every 10 min anymore, I just figure to save my stressing out for April.

I got my official letter from IUB yesterday and it was dated 16. February! (I got the e-mail notification by the Fulbright person in New York who opens my letters on 2 March). So the letter states that funding decisions will be made in early March (which would be... ehm... now?). If this process takes again that long, I won't get any news on funding until early April....

And: Still no word from my other 4 schools. I don't like the waiting game anymore....

I got my official letter from IUB yesterday and it was dated 16. February! (I got the e-mail notification by the Fulbright person in New York who opens my letters on 2 March). So the letter states that funding decisions will be made in early March (which would be... ehm... now?). If this process takes again that long, I won't get any news on funding until early April....

And: Still no word from my other 4 schools. I don't like the waiting game anymore....

16 of February??? And they could not notify you earlier??? :blink:

Anyway - the official acceptance letter is definetely good news! It must make you feel more secure. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for your funding :)

Congratulations Kathiza. Don't worry about the other 4, I'm sure news will come in the next three weeks. This week does seem to be another quiet week, though. So, I don't think your situation is anything out of the ordinary. Relax :)

As for me, I've only applied to two places and haven't yet heard back from both. Relatively, you're in a better position. Cheer up, ok?