Updates!

Unfortunately, I think for those of you applying in Madison the wait may have just get longer....I'd imagine many adcoms are on the protesting lines!

The Madison application status page says to expect a decision by the end of February. Given the recent happenings, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it does extend into March...

Last Friday, I received an email from the graduate admission officer of a department that I have applied for, asking for my phone number as well as confirming with me my mailing address. Is it a good or bad sign?:huh:

Well, it's hard to say... It can mean an interview or they may have just lost this info and needed if for your file... Only the time will show :)

Good luck anyways!

I made it into the short stack for one of my programs! Over 150 apps and I made it into the final 20! Man, even though that's not an acceptance, it feels pretty good after 2 rejections in early February being my only news so far. biggrin.gif

Just to clarify, this is a program which no one else on the board has applied to (I don't think, at least), and my app is still in the running.

And thanks, jmac!

Edited by maximalist

I'm sorry to be posting the same thing over and over again, but: Still nothing.

But I've heard that one of my schools wants to contact me about an interview or something. I'll have to read all the interview-postings out there. I have no idea what to expect (except for the obvious "why should we choose you?", "why would you fit in?" research interests etc.)

But I've heard that one of my schools wants to contact me about an interview or something. I'll have to read all the interview-postings out there. I have no idea what to expect (except for the obvious "why should we choose you?", "why would you fit in?" research interests etc.)

If they want an interview, it isn't nothing! It is something :)

Go to the "Interviews" board - there are many posts about questions to expect and to ask.

Good luck!

Hi, I'm also international Fulbright grantee and I just came by to say hello :)

I'm not sure my experience might be a little help, but as far as my experience, the interviewer at UT-Austin asked me the most obviously expected questions like research interest and my recent scholarly experience.

Good luck to U!

PS. Is anybody "NOT heard back" from the Upenn Annenberg? I believe other folks already notified admission decision from Upenn recently, but I haven't heard nothing. I'm just curious that there is any chance of being wait-listed...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH panic! :o

(I'm not allowed to post what's just happened... I will when all is over...)

Is that good or bad panic? Hopefully, it's good!

Also, it looks like Brown's Modern Culture and Media program called their 4 admits yesterday. I think there was somebody else frequenting the Comm area who applied there too. Oh well though, it was a long shot for me anyway.

Far as I know, Penn Annenberg doesn't do waitlists, evidenced by the results on this site. The date may vary by one day or two, but definitely not for more than a week. You should just call.

PS. I'm an international applicant as well.

Hi, I'm also international Fulbright grantee and I just came by to say hello :)

I'm not sure my experience might be a little help, but as far as my experience, the interviewer at UT-Austin asked me the most obviously expected questions like research interest and my recent scholarly experience.

Good luck to U!

PS. Is anybody "NOT heard back" from the Upenn Annenberg? I believe other folks already notified admission decision from Upenn recently, but I haven't heard nothing. I'm just curious that there is any chance of being wait-listed...

I got accepted to Wisconsin. However, when I applied I did not know that the don't usually offer funding to first year PhD students. Or maybe they do, but I did not get it. So no funding...

This is the email from them.

" We are pleased to inform you that the School of Journalism and Mass Communication has recommended your admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate School. Final authority for admission decisions rests with the Graduate School, but we expect you will receive formal notification of your admission within a month. If you do not receive confirmation of your admission status by mid-April please contact us. Please continue to check your online application account for any additional materials that may be required by the Graduate School to finalize your admission.

We were not able to offer you financial support for the 2011-12 academic year. School and university resources are extremely limited and we were able to fund only a small number of students. Competition for available money is fierce and support was given primarily to students currently enrolled in the program. You should not interpret our inability to provide you with support for the coming year as a reflection on your qualifications or potential for graduate study."

Just got an email from the grad coordinator for UNC Comm Studies informing me I've been waitlisted. Apparently they're having problems with the online system, getting notification of admit status to students, but I assume they're contacting anyone else that's admitted or wait listed directly. That's all the news from here!

Maximalist--sorry about Brown's MCM. That's a tough program. I applied to the American Civilization program with intention of working with MCM as well--still no word from Am Civ, but my hopes aren't very high.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH panic! :o

(I'm not allowed to post what's just happened... I will when all is over...)

That's intriguing!! :rolleyes:

Goood luck in any case!!!!!!!!!! :) If it's an interview, you'll do great, I am sure!

Just got an email from the grad coordinator for UNC Comm Studies informing me I've been waitlisted. Apparently they're having problems with the online system, getting notification of admit status to students, but I assume they're contacting anyone else that's admitted or wait listed directly. That's all the news from here!

Maximalist--sorry about Brown's MCM. That's a tough program. I applied to the American Civilization program with intention of working with MCM as well--still no word from Am Civ, but my hopes aren't very high.

Thanks for the condolences! And, congrats on the UNC waitlist! Out of curiosity, was the email directly to you? Or was it a mass email? (I'm hoping they're maybe working their way down the alphabet or something with emails, if they're going out individually...).

email directly to me from Vilma. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get an email!!

Thanks for the condolences! And, congrats on the UNC waitlist! Out of curiosity, was the email directly to you? Or was it a mass email? (I'm hoping they're maybe working their way down the alphabet or something with emails, if they're going out individually...).

funding at our department is super limited. actually, there are people coming in who pay their own way through. it's a public school. so...

I got accepted to Wisconsin. However, when I applied I did not know that the don't usually offer funding to first year PhD students. Or maybe they do, but I did not get it. So no funding...

This is the email from them.

" We are pleased to inform you that the School of Journalism and Mass Communication has recommended your admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate School. Final authority for admission decisions rests with the Graduate School, but we expect you will receive formal notification of your admission within a month. If you do not receive confirmation of your admission status by mid-April please contact us. Please continue to check your online application account for any additional materials that may be required by the Graduate School to finalize your admission.

We were not able to offer you financial support for the 2011-12 academic year. School and university resources are extremely limited and we were able to fund only a small number of students. Competition for available money is fierce and support was given primarily to students currently enrolled in the program. You should not interpret our inability to provide you with support for the coming year as a reflection on your qualifications or potential for graduate study."