Updates!

congratulations! are both of your masters in or around communication arts? I have one masters in visual culture but am receiiving another in education currently via TFA, but am planning to apply for my phd in the fall in comm. What are your thoughts?

Though I was not accepted to their program I was almost accepted there ;) so I can give you some advice. Make sure there is a very good fit between your interests and those of professors there. This was the reason they did not accept me. They would have accepted me if they had more money, that is what my POI told me. But as they did not have enough money they had to accept only those with the closest fit and I was not among them. May be they will have more spots next year, who knows. Anyway, I don't think that it matters what field you have your masters in. After all Communications is a pretty interdisciplinary field. The thing that really matter is fit. To make sure the fit is good, read about all profs of the program, write to those who might be interested in your research, tell about your academic interests and see what they will say. Tell them you know how important fit is and ask if they think you fit this program well enough to be accepted next year. I would advise starting contacting profs around the end of May - that's when all applications business for the next fall is over and they are free to talk about other stuff :)

Good luck!

Hi There,

I just came across this forum and decided to say hi to my fellow scholars in waiting. The waiting is killer! I'm waiting on UMass, Denver, York, and I randomly applied to florida state today because I'm a bit worried that I didn't apply to enough schools and I'm not going to get in anywhere. I got denied from UCSD I'm currently waitlisted at UW, so at least that's some news.

Anyway, glad to know that I'm not the only out there obsessing about this. Good luck to all!

Cheers,

jmacnomad

congratulations! are both of your masters in or around communication arts? I have one masters in visual culture but am receiiving another in education currently via TFA, but am planning to apply for my phd in the fall in comm. What are your thoughts?

I just PMed you--but I said almost exactly what strangefox said :)

It's MA, so I think the department has still not announced the admission for PhD applicants. Good luck with your application.

Thanks a lot, Poj. This waiting is driving me crazy. You proved yourself not "worthless," biggrin.gif which adjective I hope not to use for myself. Congratulations again!

Definitely not worthless, UIUC is a GREAT program, fantastic history--I was totally planning on applying myself but after 8 other applications, I just couldn't bring myself to put together the 9th for the Jan 15th deadline. Really excellent program though. Congrats to you!

Thanks Strangefox and Seasonal. The best feeling is, after being rejected from UPENN and UCSD, I'm not that WORTHLESS, and someone sees my potential to do a graduate program.

Thanks so much for your kind support. I've been thrilled because I know that UIUC has a "GREAT" program and a lot of distinguished professors. Very excited!!!

Definitely not worthless, UIUC is a GREAT program, fantastic history--I was totally planning on applying myself but after 8 other applications, I just couldn't bring myself to put together the 9th for the Jan 15th deadline. Really excellent program though. Congrats to you!

Has anyone heard anything from Wisconsin-Madison (Journalism and Mass Comm department)? I am in at OSU but Madison is a top choice. This wait is killing me!!!

No word here, either. I don't think we'll hear from them until March. My application status hasn't been updated since January 10 and still shows "Pending." The wait is killing me, too!

Ha, I was like you too. I decided to apply to PhD in early October. In the beginning I thought I'd apply to 9 programs. I made it to 6, but thought "no, I am not going to apply to the 7th." Just too much... So, I stopped..

No word here, either. I don't think we'll hear from them until March. My application status hasn't been updated since January 10 and still shows "Pending." The wait is killing me, too!

Unfortunately, I think for those of you applying in Madison the wait may have just get longer....I'd imagine many adcoms are on the protesting lines!

yeah, I thought I was going to make it to 10!! I know a girl who applied to 12 schools a couple of years ago. I can't imagine. The other one that didn't make it was UMich... I'm from the South, and the prospect of an Ann Arbor winter was too much for me to bear, no matter how good a fit the department was. I just could not bring myself to do it.

Ha, I was like you too. I decided to apply to PhD in early October. In the beginning I thought I'd apply to 9 programs. I made it to 6, but thought "no, I am not going to apply to the 7th." Just too much... So, I stopped..