Updates!

I wonder why people would want to do that, I mean post a fake like that... :blink:

I haven't the slightest idea...maybe application season stress is getting to some people in mysterious ways? dry.gif

excellent recon sir/madam!! In light of this information I retract the above pessimistic statement. Though I just got accepted to SUNY Stony Brook's Cultural Studies program, so UNC is now less crucial for me. I mean I'm still really excited about the program, but I'm not sure if it's as good a fit as SBU. Though UNC may more generous with funding... So we shall see.

Strangefox--sorry to hear of your rejection from Penn, but glad to hear you're upbeat about it! I felt similar about USC's AmStudies program (which I was rejected from).

Thanks! And, for future reference, it's madam. smile.gif Congrats on your SUNY acceptance!!

I have an off-topic question but it certainly does not deserve a separate thread :)

Fellow Communications people, tell me - is Communication studies a social sciences field in the US? And if not, what is it? It is certainly not Humanities nor Sciences.

And what about Media Studies?

I have an off-topic question but it certainly does not deserve a separate thread :)

Fellow Communications people, tell me - is Communication studies a social sciences field in the US? And if not, what is it? It is certainly not Humanities nor Sciences.

And what about Media Studies?

Yep, typically considered social science field.

Yep, typically considered social science field.

I don't think that's true. The two largest divisions at NCA are, if I remember correctly, Critical/Cultural Studies and Rhetoric and Communication Theory, both of which fall squarely in the humanities side of things. Rather than categorizing it either way, I think it's fair to say that Comm. is a truly interdisciplinary field.

I don't think that's true. The two largest divisions at NCA are, if I remember correctly, Critical/Cultural Studies and Rhetoric and Communication Theory, both of which fall squarely in the humanities side of things. Rather than categorizing it either way, I think it's fair to say that Comm. is a truly interdisciplinary field.

I think that's a great point; it really depends on the organizational body and how they define your field of study. I always hear anything Comm-related being defined as social sciences, but of course that that can vary.

Toh-may-toh, Tah-mah-toh type of thing.

I've just received a letter from the director of the doctoral program at Temple which basically said that I will have funding!!! In the best case scenario it will be a four-year fellowship. The department have nominated me and are now waiting for results. In the worst case scenario, which is not bad at all, I will have a three-year teaching assistantship with the possibility of additional funding when I am working on my dissertation!!

Strangefox happy :P

I've just received a letter from the director of the doctoral program at Temple which basically said that I will have funding!!! In the best case scenario it will be a four-year fellowship. The department have nominated me and are now waiting for results. In the worst case scenario, which is not bad at all, I will have a three-year teaching assistantship with the possibility of additional funding when I am working on my dissertation!!

Strangefox happy :P

Congrats, Strangefox!!! I bet that takes quite a load off of your shoulders! cool.gif

I always hear anything Comm-related being defined as social sciences, but of course that that can vary.

Likewise, I usually see it defined as a social science. Considering how little respect the humanities receive in the U.S., we're probably better off promoting that perspective... :P

Do they really? I wonder why...

Oh goodness, yes. The humanities don't "produce" or bring in grants/money, according to many lovely critics, and therefore, they have no place in a university setting. Of course, these people forget the fact that their English classes taught them how to read and write, or that humanities classes study what it is and what it means to be human, or myriad other reasons why a balance between humanities, social sciences, and hard sciences are necessary for a fruitful society.

A recent conversation with my sister highlighted the sorts of attitudes humanities folks are up against. We were discussing a paper she was writing about the Clash and consumerism for a course (a measly 4 page paper, I might add), when out of the blue, she goes, "I'm just not used to bullshitting this much...you know, being in the sciences and all." To which I replied, "Well, maybe if you actually had something to say on the topic, it wouldn't be bullshitting, would it?"

Put simply, there is a perception here in the U.S. that humanities=easy and are made of bullshitting.

I am beginning to think no news = bad news. I have seen several people get answers from several of the programs I am waiting to hear from, but I have not heard anything. I can only assume people are getting emailed w/ admits and some programs must only notify rejects via postal service, so that makes me dread seeing the mailman come down the street.

I would rather get a rejection via email and know sooner than know other people have gotten responses from a program and I have not heard anything.

What's that movie where the kid starts his own university? "Accepted" and they go to South Harmon Institute of Technology (S.H.I.T). Maybe for those of us who dont get in, or dont get the funding we need we will just start our on school or we can go to S.H.I.T rolleyes.gif

So now I am wait-listed for University of Washington! I've been accepted, rejected and wait-listed - I've seen all of it :lol:

But seriously, these are quotes from their letter:

In way of an explanation, you should know that we received a very large number of applications this year – more than 140. Also, the department has decided this year to only admit students when we can guarantee that the funding for them will be available, and since there is less funding to go around in the current economic situation, the competition for the funding slots that we currently have is particularly fierce. For you to have made it onto our waiting list means that you are in the top 15% of applicants to our program; 85% of the applicants have already received rejection notices from us. We are very excited about your scholarly record and fit to the program, and we are frustrated that we do not currently have the resources to immediately accept you into the program and offer you funding.

And:

Since our goal is to create an incoming class that is diverse in its intellectual interests and will not overtax faculty resources in any one particular area, we have linked certain people on the waiting list to certain people on the acceptance list. So if funding resources become available because an applicant who has been offered admission and funding decides to go elsewhere, we will make an offer to the corresponding person with similar research interests on the waiting list. As a result, the waiting list is not ranked and I cannot give you an idea of what your chances are. I would just request that you keep us informed of your status as an applicant, letting us know if you decide to take an offer elsewhere.

we received a very large number of applications this year

there is less funding to go around in the current economic situation,

the competition for the funding slots that we currently have is particularly fierce.

I would love to see a school come up w/ a new excuse. They are all saying the same thing. Lots of apps, not enough $

Received an email tonight from my POI at Wisconsin that I've been accepted into the doctoral program in communication arts. They are still making admissions decisions (no finalized list as of yet)--you all will be hearing back soon! Good luck!!!!

Stats: two masters' degrees (4.0 GPA), 650(v), 780(Q), 5.5(A), no papers but a fair amount of work in tv production and evaluation

congratulations! are both of your masters in or around communication arts? I have one masters in visual culture but am receiiving another in education currently via TFA, but am planning to apply for my phd in the fall in comm. What are your thoughts?