Updates!

I got some news, but it's not the kind I wished to have, technically, because the fact that I still have to wait has not changed. You know what I mean, from two to three. Good luck with your funding!

While it's not the ultimate decision you seek, it's a step in the right direction. At this point, celebrate the small victories! I'm in the same spot as well, so just try and keep positive.

I got some news, but it's not the kind I wished to have, technically, because the fact that I still have to wait has not changed. You know what I mean, from two to three. Good luck with your funding!

Man! More waiting! Only a couple more weeks before stuff really starts move... Sending good thoughts to all!

Edited by jmacnomad

Got the final confirmation today: Tuition waiver, but definitively no chance on any other funding/RA/TA from Mizzou :-(

Still waiting on news from UNC and on funding info from Indiana and some more detailed info from Miami. So basically I know nothing. Because those acceptances are of no use to me without funding... I feel kind of frustrated right now... :mellow:

Got the final confirmation today: Tuition waiver, but definitively no chance on any other funding/RA/TA from Mizzou :-(

Still waiting on news from UNC and on funding info from Indiana and some more detailed info from Miami. So basically I know nothing. Because those acceptances are of no use to me without funding... I feel kind of frustrated right now... :mellow:

But you've got funding from UMiami, right? Cheer up!

Well, I'm not quite sure anymore. I didn't receive the material yet. But I think I've got a CHANCE on RA/TA for the second and third year. But no guarantee on anything (besides the tuition waiver).

I don't know... I'm just feeling down today. I'm sorry.

Well, I'm not quite sure anymore. I didn't receive the material yet. But I think I've got a CHANCE on RA/TA for the second and third year. But no guarantee on anything (besides the tuition waiver).

I don't know... I'm just feeling down today. I'm sorry.

Please, don't lose hope! It's not over yet!

Hi Y'all,

I know I have been MIA for awhile but I just wanted to check in before I sign off for good and say thanks to everyone for the support and best of luck to those still waiting. After taking a few trips and lots and lots of debating, I made my final choice and I've released the funding that was offered to me from other schools (hopefully that will help someone here!).

I hope everyone gets just what they are hoping for! Thanks again for everything. I may pop my head in from time to time, but I just wanted to reach out and sincerely show my appreciation for everyone here who I feel like I went through this process with. You guys rock. I probably would have completely lost my mind without this place.

Best of luck to everyone,

Sputnik

Hi Y'all,

I know I have been MIA for awhile but I just wanted to check in before I sign off for good and say thanks to everyone for the support and best of luck to those still waiting. After taking a few trips and lots and lots of debating, I made my final choice and I've released the funding that was offered to me from other schools (hopefully that will help someone here!).

I hope everyone gets just what they are hoping for! Thanks again for everything. I may pop my head in from time to time, but I just wanted to reach out and sincerely show my appreciation for everyone here who I feel like I went through this process with. You guys rock. I probably would have completely lost my mind without this place.

Best of luck to everyone,

Sputnik

That is wonderful! Congratulations!!!

I've spoken with a friend who is just completing his dissertation, and has secured a tenure-track position at an R1 school. I've filled him in on my admission process during the entire thing, and he always comments on how much tougher it is now, versus 4 years ago. Yes, the economy has forced many people to go back to graduate school, but he even finds the research expectations for incoming PhD admits to be quite high.

When he graduated with his MA, and was applying to PhD programs in Comm, he had one pub and one conference presentation. He stated how glad he was not having to apply now. Crazy!

I've spoken with a friend who is just completing his dissertation, and has secured a tenure-track position at an R1 school. I've filled him in on my admission process during the entire thing, and he always comments on how much tougher it is now, versus 4 years ago. Yes, the economy has forced many people to go back to graduate school, but he even finds the research expectations for incoming PhD admits to be quite high.

When he graduated with his MA, and was applying to PhD programs in Comm, he had one pub and one conference presentation. He stated how glad he was not having to apply now. Crazy!

Oh, I didn't know that the situation is so bad now! Thanks for sharing this information. But it is getting better, right? I mean, the worst year was probably 2008? Or 2009? Then 2010 was a bit better. Or am I getting it all wrong? What is your friend saying about that?

Well here's the thing: he wasn't sure how the admission process is now until I filled him in on my situation. So, I think it's probably wise not to take my experience, and assume it's everyone's. Having said that, I do think it's safe (IMHO) to say that programs are expecting more research productivity as a PhD applicant. And as we all know, and several have this response, "Too many qualified applicants, and not enough funding".

I think it's impossible to figure out when the admission process will be "easier". I think the recession is still lingering, and even if/when the economy does get better, people will still be getting more advanced degrees. Lets face it, a BA is basically a high school degree now! To get where we need to get, and even be considered for a job, we need a PhD, as well numerous pubs and presentations.

The best thing about COMM, is that there are more positions open than there are graduates (this according a friend of mine who is an editor at a top COMM journal). We all have to fight even harder than previous year's applicants, but won't we be that much satisfied in our accomplishments?

The best thing about COMM, is that there are more positions open than there are graduates (this according a friend of mine who is an editor at a top COMM journal). We all have to fight even harder than previous year's applicants, but won't we be that much satisfied in our accomplishments?

Really??? That's nice! :)

Take that with a grain of salt, but it does come from an editor a highly regarded journal, and the editor definitely knows what he's talking about. I brought this very question up at a pre-conf forum at AEJ last year, and all the opinions of journal editors and school deans (UNC, AZ State, etc) were all positive.

Take that with a grain of salt, but it does come from an editor a highly regarded journal, and the editor definitely knows what he's talking about. I brought this very question up at a pre-conf forum at AEJ last year, and all the opinions of journal editors and school deans (UNC, AZ State, etc) were all positive.

And what can be possible explanations? Why are there so many positions (by they way, did they mean positions in academia, like TT ones?)? Is this field getting more popular?

And what can be possible explanations? Why are there so many positions (by they way, did they mean positions in academia, like TT ones?)? Is this field getting more popular?

Whoo! A couple of questions to address there!

"And what can be possible explanations?"

Honestly, I don't remember the explanation, but I'm guessing that you tackle that when you ask "Is this field getting more popular?". Communication, as a field, tends to be one the fastest growing departments across the US. When you've got a growing population of students, you have a need for more profs. Which answers your third questions, "Did they mean positions in academia...?"

We're fortunate our field as a whole is growing, but also need to be aware of the impending and forseeable cuts in higher education, which will take away from every college in every department. You can definitely get a tenure-track position in Communication, but as stated earlier, it's a whole new game and d@mn if you don't have to come extra prepared.

Whoo! A couple of questions to address there!

"And what can be possible explanations?"

Honestly, I don't remember the explanation, but I'm guessing that you tackle that when you ask "Is this field getting more popular?". Communication, as a field, tends to be one the fastest growing departments across the US. When you've got a growing population of students, you have a need for more profs. Which answers your third questions, "Did they mean positions in academia...?"

We're fortunate our field as a whole is growing, but also need to be aware of the impending and forseeable cuts in higher education, which will take away from every college in every department. You can definitely get a tenure-track position in Communication, but as stated earlier, it's a whole new game and d@mn if you don't have to come extra prepared.

Thanks again! This information is very helpful!

just another encouraging tidbit: (learned in an economic history course...yes, im a nerd. but then, isnt that why we're all here?) after a recession, federal and state gov'ts tend to pump money into educational institutions pretty much first and foremost. this will not only increase funds across depts, and possibly lead to new tenure track positions, as well as give senior tenured professors the confidence to retire. so in about 4-5 years, the market for comm phds should be much, much rosier than it is right now.

Like admissions, we're all in this together. Why not pass along the info?

just another encouraging tidbit: (learned in an economic history course...yes, im a nerd. but then, isnt that why we're all here?) after a recession, federal and state gov'ts tend to pump money into educational institutions pretty much first and foremost. this will not only increase funds across depts, and possibly lead to new tenure track positions, as well as give senior tenured professors the confidence to retire. so in about 4-5 years, the market for comm phds should be much, much rosier than it is right now.

I like the way it sounds! :P

Boy, I hope that's true, but I can't help but be pessimistic, considering the pathetic anti-intellectual movement running rampant in the U.S., including amongst our political "leaders." dry.gif

Edited by maximalist

Boy, I hope that's true, but I can't help but be pessimistic, considering the pathetic anti-intellectual movement running rampant in the U.S., including amongst our political "leaders." dry.gif

And what are the indications of this movement?