Updates!

3 schools pending, but I think I've found "the one." I'm thrilled to be almost finished with this process. I'm taking a little time to contemplate and then signing on the dotted line.

For everyone who's waiting, keep the faith. A lot of things are still very open at this point in the game.

I just accepted my offer of admission and funding to UW-Seattle! I'm overjoyed to be attending that program and am very happy to have this process come to a close.

Best of luck to all of those out there still waiting. This is a big week and big things can still happen!

I just accepted my offer of admission and funding to UW-Seattle! I'm overjoyed to be attending that program and am very happy to have this process come to a close.

Best of luck to all of those out there still waiting. This is a big week and big things can still happen!

Congrats! Glad to hear it's all over for you too! I just had to make a call to reject an offer, and no one was there, so I had to leave a VM. The toughest call I've ever made!

Again, congrats!

Edited by hedjuk

I am so glad for you! ^_^

A Seattle comrade! Congratulations!

AAAAAHHH!

Basically I have to decide tomorrow, because of my Fulbright the message takes two days to arrive at my US-school... And I still haven't heard about funding from one school that accepted me and no admissions decision from another. How am I supposed to make a decision? It's simply impossible...

If you have definitive funding from any of the universities that you have heard from, I'd pick that school. If you haven't heard about funding from any of them, I'd pick Bloomington (great program, and from what I've heard, they fund all their students, though I'm not sure how they hand Fulbrights.)

Good luck!

AAAAAHHH!

Basically I have to decide tomorrow, because of my Fulbright the message takes two days to arrive at my US-school... And I still haven't heard about funding from one school that accepted me and no admissions decision from another. How am I supposed to make a decision? It's simply impossible...

Also Miami and Mizzou say they fund all their students (regardless of their nationality or of other grants) on their website. Well - they don't anymore.

I have full tuition waivers from both of them. But no other funding possible. So no TA/RA - no teaching experience, no job to provide for living expenses (and I'm not allowed to take any other job because of my visa). So I basically will have to pay for all the living expenses (except the first year) from my own money - which I don't have.

Bloomington didn't send funding decisions yet, although they announced to send them in early March! I can't pick them because I don't even know if they give me a tuition waiver. They could as well tell me that I've got to pay full tuition + living expenses and that's simply impossible.

I'm literally sick of all this pressure. I'm in tears because I don't want to make this big decision about my future prematurely just because the schools decided to set this stupid deadline and at the same time don't stick to their own deadlines or announcements. I can't handle this, seriously...

Ugh, I feel for you. This sounds like a horrendously tricky position to be in. If there were ever an appropriate occasion to accept an offer and back out later when more information becomes available, this is the occasion. All the best to you.

Also Miami and Mizzou say they fund all their students (regardless of their nationality or of other grants) on their website. Well - they don't anymore.

I have full tuition waivers from both of them. But no other funding possible. So no TA/RA - no teaching experience, no job to provide for living expenses (and I'm not allowed to take any other job because of my visa). So I basically will have to pay for all the living expenses (except the first year) from my own money - which I don't have.

Bloomington didn't send funding decisions yet, although they announced to send them in early March! I can't pick them because I don't even know if they give me a tuition waiver. They could as well tell me that I've got to pay full tuition + living expenses and that's simply impossible.

I'm literally sick of all this pressure. I'm in tears because I don't want to make this big decision about my future prematurely just because the schools decided to set this stupid deadline and at the same time don't stick to their own deadlines or announcements. I can't handle this, seriously...

That is so unfair :angry:

So you can't just call them and ask? It is against some Fulbright rules?? Grrr :mellow:

First of all, I empathize with your stress and I think it's very understandable to be feeling the way you are. Here are some additional things you might look into/talk to fulbright about:

1. I'd recommend calling or emailing Bloomington to alert them to your situation and ask them if you have a chance at funding. Calling would obviously get a quicker answer.

2. Call or Email Miami and Mizzou to explain your situation and to ask what sort of on campus jobs an international student could get. Foreign students are allowed to work on campus and many do. Find out if you are eligible for work-study or other positions. Ask them how possible this would be for your second years and beyond. I'm guessing that odds would be in your favor. TAships may open up as well after your first year. Ask them how often that occurs with second year students and beyond.

I think it's perfectly understandable for you to reach out to these schools and ask for any information they can give. I have done so and have gotten quick and informative responses.

Good luck!

Got my 2nd acceptance today, but again no funding sad.gif

What makes it worse is that yesterday it was announced that the cast of Jersey Shore will be taking home over $100k each per episode. So, 1 cast members pay for 1 episode would fund 4 years of my PhD program, but I will probably be flipping burgers at minimum wage to pay for school (not really). Maybe I should stop all this academic writing and get to work on my fist pumping, GTL and ab crunches (not really).

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I just lied down a little and slept for an hour (it's almost 10 PM in Europe) and I feel a lot calmer now. I still don't know how to make a decision, but I have another day to think about it.

And I already asked for the possibility of a TA/RA opening up after the first year (Mizzou said definitely no and if so that I couldn't get one; Miami said just said there is no funding for the second and third year right now). I also asked about other campus jobs (I could get one - but still, I would miss "real" teaching experience which could significantly hurt me when looking for a job afterwards).

It's a Fulbright rule that we are not allowed to talk about anything concerning finances to the school. But I'll ask tomorrow if - considering the situation - they could maybe make an exception and let me send one single e-mail to UI Bloomington, just to see if I have a chance at funding. (I just asked my local Fulbright office... I'll know tomorrow; but since we're six hours ahead of the US and I'll have to make a decision during office hours HERE, that basically leaves a window of 2-3 hours for them to answer me)

I'm so sorry for freaking out here (I know I'm not the first one, but I certainly am the first one who freaked out like 2353 times here on this forum...)

@tvphd I'm sorry for you getting no funding. Believe me, I really feel for you. I'm not as self-centered as I may seem here. This stress and pressure just really get to me. Should we both end up in Miami (I'll let you guys all know once I made the decision) - please don't judge me for my crazy postings here ;-)

I'm so sorry for freaking out here (I know I'm not the first one, but I certainly am the first one who freaked out like 2353 times here on this forum...)

You are not the only one to freak, and hang in there!!! I will have my fingers crossed for you and I hope for the best outcome!!!!

Please don't worry about that! We are all here to support each other, so please share your worries with us, we want to help!

AND......... in the eleventh hour, yours truly snags the final spot at UGA w/ funding! I am so excited. It's been a long 6 months since submitting apps. I have appreciated all of you on this forum and I am really happy to have been able to go through this experience w/ you all. Correction, I should say y'all since I will be going to Georgia. Note to self....work on southern drawl this summer. It looks like many people have been coming off wait lists, getting funding and making final decisions. May we all get what we desire, best of luck to everyone.

AND......... in the eleventh hour, yours truly snags the final spot at UGA w/ funding! I am so excited. It's been a long 6 months since submitting apps. I have appreciated all of you on this forum and I am really happy to have been able to go through this experience w/ you all. Correction, I should say y'all since I will be going to Georgia. Note to self....work on southern drawl this summer. It looks like many people have been coming off wait lists, getting funding and making final decisions. May we all get what we desire, best of luck to everyone.

WAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I"m THRILLED for you. I was really pulling for you. In fact, anytime I came across your posts on the forum I'd look to see if there were any changes on your signature. I'm so glad to hear it. Congrats! Enjoy those peaches!

I knew it! What a wonderful news, Congrats tvphd!! Sure, it looks a lot of people are getting off their waitlists, and, it turned out that I joined the club today (w/ funding, 4 years). No doubt that your cheering me up has worked! Okay, two more to go...

Edited by commtome

Congrats, tvphd! That's great news.

I also have some happy news: Even though I got accepted to UNC at the very last minute (some time yesterday morning) - I finally decided that I'm taking the offer at UMiami. I talked to my local Fulbright office and it's the best offer. I'm so incredibly relieved I can't even put it in words...

And: No more Winter! When you come from a country where every winter you have a couple of days or weeks where nobody can leave the house, where no busses run, where there's no school, no possibilitiy to go to work.... Well, when you come from a country like this, have no winter for a couple of years seems a little surreal. But me likey! :-)

And: No more Winter! When you come from a country where every winter you have a couple of days or weeks where nobody can leave the house, where no busses run, where there's no school, no possibilitiy to go to work.... Well, when you come from a country like this, have no winter for a couple of years seems a little surreal. But me likey! :-)

Congrats Kathiza, and yes, I can feel your pain bout the winter, we were on CNN two days ago - winter and snow in April :)

Good luck!