MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! :) 

On March 27th I received an offer of admission to the University of British Columbia Okanagan campus for the MSW Advanced Standing program! It was my number one choice, so I could not be more thrilled and have already accepted the offer! 

I just wondered if anyone else is planning on attending UBCO for their MSW programs this fall? If so, I would love to connect! 

3 hours ago, Madison Stewart said:

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! :) 

On March 27th I received an offer of admission to the University of British Columbia Okanagan campus for the MSW Advanced Standing program! It was my number one choice, so I could not be more thrilled and have already accepted the offer! 

I just wondered if anyone else is planning on attending UBCO for their MSW programs this fall? If so, I would love to connect! 

Hi Madison,Congratulations! I also received the offer on that day. Would love to connect ~

1 hour ago, SocialWGirl said:

Has anybody accepted their 2 year msw offer at uoft? Hoping to connect! :)

Do you mind sharing what experiences you had? I got waitlisted and I am just wondering what I can do for next year to improve my resume! Also, did you apply right out of undergrad?

2 hours ago, rosejava said:

Do you mind sharing what experiences you had? I got waitlisted and I am just wondering what I can do for next year to improve my resume! Also, did you apply right out of undergrad?

Absolutely! I think I applied with over 6000 hours of experience. I’ve been working in the social work/social service work sector for around 5 years (including time during my undergrad). 

project coordinator for mental health x justice - 2240 hours

youth addictions counsellor - 1680 hours

youth developmental therapist - 320 hours

geriatric support worker - 840 hours

youth support worker - 700 hours

child & youth worker assistant - 700 hours

I also had around 500 hours volunteering at childcare centres, clinics, and in relevant university clubs. I completed two major senior research projects during my undergrad too, which I emphasized and I think that was around 200 hours or so. 

I didn’t apply straight out of undergrad, although I should have lol. I graduated in 2021 and had applied once for grad programs in 2022 but didn’t get accepted anywhere. At that time I was focused on applying to psychotherapy programs so I didn’t apply to any msw. This was my first time applying to msw and only at uoft and I was really surprised to get accepted as I know it’s extremely competitive. 

I think what worked for me was the work experience and emphasizing the skills I learned from each role. I also have a ton of relevant certifications from the roles I’ve held so I’m sure that was taken into consideration as well. From what I’ve heard, it’s quite uncommon for people to get accepted straight out of undergrad because these types of programs do really value experience, especially working with vulnerable populations which was my main focus. I also think it helped to emphasize the diversity of the experiences I’ve had - for example working in different settings (clinics, schools, community centres, homes, etc.) and working with diverse populations (children, teens, youth, young adults, adults, and seniors). 

In case you’re interested, I graduated with a HBSc in Psychology & Neuroscience, & minored in Biology. My final year gpa was around a 3.98. Hope this helps & hoping you get off the waitlist soon!! :) 

6 hours ago, Diana_Y said:

I'm still waiting too

I officially got my rejection email today for the one year and was waitlisted for my other school. I know some others have already been accepted to Lauriers one year, so I am sure everyone else will hear back shortly.

I'm not sure if I should just take the year to improve my application to make it stronger or maybe consider more schools when I apply next time around. I only had very few volunteer hours, some respite work, plus my previous practicums for experience and an overall A- GPA, so I wasn't too hopeful of my chances, I tried to write strong statements to make up for it.

Good luck to everyone else who applied for the one-year track at Laurier! 

Hoping that 2025 will be my time.

8 hours ago, tiaax said:

I officially got my rejection email today for the one year and was waitlisted for my other school. I know some others have already been accepted to Lauriers one year, so I am sure everyone else will hear back shortly.

I'm not sure if I should just take the year to improve my application to make it stronger or maybe consider more schools when I apply next time around. I only had very few volunteer hours, some respite work, plus my previous practicums for experience and an overall A- GPA, so I wasn't too hopeful of my chances, I tried to write strong statements to make up for it.

Crossing my fingers that you get accepted off the waitlist at the other school for fall 2024! 😌

Is there anyone else in this forum waiting on an offer from Carleton for the bsw program? My msw application was declined so I am waiting to have my application evaluated for the bsw. I'm so anxious to hear back. 

I'm hoping there might be someone else who is in the same situation!

19 hours ago, tiaax said:

Hey sorry to hear about your rejection.

As a multi-time u of T applicant (who finally got in lol), I think your plan is super solid. Take the year to boost up your experience/credentials and then apply to a variety of schools that resonate with you.  Looking back I probably should have applied to multiple MSWs but I had tunnel vision for U of T lol. C'est la vie.

The application process can be really draining. Please also take care of yourself and don't let these institutions determine your worth. Take all the time you need to grieve/mourn. 

20 hours ago, tiaax said:

sorry for the disappointing news you've got. Did they mention any reason for the rejection?

20 hours ago, tiaax said:

Sorry to hear about Laurier… What school were you waitlisted for? Hoping you get off that waitlist! :) Also, what does your last name start with? 

1 hour ago, BingBongBingBong said:

Hi Guys, I got my acceptance just 10 minutes ago. Thanks be to God, who supported me and delivered the Good News.

Congrats!

Thanks

Edited by Diana_Y