MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Hi everybody, I'm coming in late here. Congrats on all the acceptances, very exciting!

I have been accepted to UArk/ University of Arkansas which is a full ride plus large stipend but I've never been and am trying to schedule a visit before the April 15th decision deadline. Does anyone know anything about UArk?

I'm on the waitlist for Cornell which is my top choice and I'm freaking out! Is anyone else on a stressful waitlist? Has there been a separate forum created for wait-listers? 

Luckily I will prob know from Cornell by April 1st but I feel really bad holding out on making my UArk decision until then for all the people who might be on the waitlist for that program 🫣I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles!

On 3/13/2024 at 1:56 PM, LegitimateHealth said:

In all programs I applied to Sculpture

CalArts-Accepted with Full Ride Fellowship 

RISD-Accepted with 30k + 5k stipend a year 

Columbia-Accepted with 30k a year + teaching fellowship + work options

SAIC-Accepted, no financial aid info yet

UCLA-Rejected

Yale-Rejected 

Bard-Crickets

I am in between CalArts and Columbia but have no idea what to do. Any thoughts? This seems like a dumb question since i got a full ride offer but Columbia is my first option but not sure I want to go into debt deciding to go there.

Hey

Don’t go into debt, I don’t think it’s worth it. NYC is so expensive + having to pay Columbia’s tuition seems very overwhelming🥲🥲

On 3/13/2024 at 7:59 AM, methe1st said:

Hi. I'd like to hear some opinions. I've been accepted into the Pratt, SAIC, and Calarts sculpture programs. Which school do you recommend and why? I'm leaning towards Pratt, but I wonder if this is the right choice.

SAIC Sculpture is a shell of its former self. Important faculty are on sabbatical (Sara Black, Adrian Wong) and the current department leadership leaves much to be desired. Proceed with caution.

On 3/12/2024 at 12:21 AM, Beenthereonce said:

ME TOOOO! I want to decide already smh and the other thing that is holding me back is the package, I am thinking between VCU and yale what are you guys thought?

omg! I am still trying to decide between VCU and Yale as well..

I originally majored in sculpture and have been involved in fine arts for a long time, but I've been thinking about moving into more practical areas and considering art combined with technology. I've applied to various art and technology programs and have been accepted to CalArts (Art and Technology) and SAIC (Art and Technology/Sound Practice), and I'm waiting for results from Pratt (Digital Media) and Parsons (Design and Technology). I've also been waitlisted for RISD (Sculpture).

Is there anyone familiar with art and tech or design and tech?

Between CalArts and SAIC, I'm leaning towards SAIC because they offered me more scholarship money. However, if I get into Parsons or Pratt, which should I choose? I'd like to know about the atmosphere, career paths, and their reputations.

Also, is it possible to find out if anyone has been taken off the waitlist for RISD's Sculpture program?

On 3/13/2024 at 11:47 PM, hellooowooorld said:

Hi, same!😅Are you by any chance an international student? Did they give you a scholarship?
I'm almost in the same position and still figuring out my decision. Do you have other options? 

Heyy, yes I am an international too! Yes, I got 50%, but still debating whether to commit or not bc I got one offer that is slightly more tempting, soooo yeah. In the beginning it was the struggle of getting in, now it’s the fear of investing in the wrong program 😅 

What about you? Feel free to PM as well and congrats on your admission!! 

Hi :) 

I have only now been invited for an interview for NYU studio art. Since I have been rejected from all other schools or waitlisted from the ones I did interviews with, I just wanted to ask if someone has tips for a more successful interview?  I did schedule a zoom interview since I am an international student and am unfortunately unable to attend in person. 

2 hours ago, nanaaaa said:

I have only now been invited for an interview for NYU studio art. Since I have been rejected from all other schools or waitlisted from the ones I did interviews with, I just wanted to ask if someone has tips for a more successful interview?  I did schedule a zoom interview since I am an international student and am unfortunately unable to attend in person. 

I did four interviews. 

I went into the first one extremely stressed and almost desperately trying to prep for questions they might ask. I ultimately was waitlisted for that school. 

The other three that I did, I didn't really try to prep for and have been accepted to two and am waiting to hear back from the third.

For my last three, I only briefly reviewed my application materials and statement. Be yourself. You already know your work and your practice best. I know that it is difficult and easier said than done, but try to not stress yourself out about it. Be thoughtful and confident in your responses. Show enthusiasm for your work, your practice, and for the school. They are just humans trying to get a feel for you and your work.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have - you're also trying to figure out if the school would be a good fit for you. After doing my interviews, I really believe the interview process should also give you a good feeling about the school. Some of the faculty I had conversations with didn't seem very excited or welcoming, while others were excited about my work and extremely friendly and helpful. 

Hope some of that helps. Best of luck! 

my updates:

UT Knox: Interviewed, waitlisted 

UWash: Interviewed, silence? 

Rutgers: rejected 

UGA: rejected 

UIC: silence. assuming rejection 😕 

Feeling kinda hopeless, my patience is running out. Am I cooked? 

To those who were also accepted by Yale, I'm curious to know what everyone is thinking regarding meeting the rest of their costs. From my understanding, even with full tuition covered (thats the maximum for their aid packages) the remaining cost is around $27000 per year for living expenses etc (got this info from their website) and there's nothing additional they offer other than loans.

Does anyone have insight from friends or people they know in the MFA program about the reality of that cost? Is it really higher, lower? and what other opportunities they had to offset those costs? (TAship in the second year or work study I assume)

6 hours ago, nanaaaa said:

I agree with the comment above. I am an international student, and I have done several interviews, but the place I prepared like a script is completely ruined. Because I was afraid I might not be able to answer it fluently. It is important to prepare an expected question though, but I think it would be much better to just spit out words, and organize your thoughts. It will be a much more natural and interactive with the professor than preparing a typed answer in sentences.

Best luck!💥💪🏼💪🏼

7 hours ago, nanaaaa said:

hii, I agree with the two previous replies. In addition, I'd say be honest and passionate about why that school is a good fit for you, for international students the answers to that question might vary alot. (I'm international too and being in an art city is high priority for me). i'd say speak confidently about your work and be clear and honest about how you want to grow your practice at that school. Lastly, prepare some solid questions to ask them when they ask if you have any questions. 3 questions would be good (so they see that you're interested). I hope this helps and wishing you all the luck for the interview

11 hours ago, nanaaaa said:

Hey! I was not able to attend in person as well and only had zoom interviews. Imo it is good in some ways bc being in a familiar setting and not worrying about travel time is definitely helpful.

I’d probably recommend to practice answering some questions that are very likely to come up. If you’re nervous, maybe even try recording your responses and then listening to it – it might help to define weaker points and make improvements.

Besides, I found this post from 2017 quite informative. I’d say that the majority of questions that I was asked are covered here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/87156-2017-mfa-interview-thread/

And one additional tip: having a cup of warm liquid helps to soothe the throat before the interview, my voice was definitely less shaky and more confident after a few sips of hot water! Good luck!! 

9 hours ago, g000by said:

my updates:

UT Knox: Interviewed, waitlisted 

UWash: Interviewed, silence? 

Rutgers: rejected 

UGA: rejected 

UIC: silence. assuming rejection 😕 

Feeling kinda hopeless, my patience is running out. Am I cooked? 

Interviewed with Washington (3D4M) early last week- they told me that they were going to try to get decisions out by Friday but that it was more likely it would be this week. Hang tight!

2 hours ago, chanu2v40 said:

Interviewed with Washington (3D4M) early last week- they told me that they were going to try to get decisions out by Friday but that it was more likely it would be this week. Hang tight!

This was for Painting and Drawing, I interviewed with them 2/19 I think. I emailed them for an update, I thought my interview went ok. I think they are on spring break this week though. :( 

my updates...

UCI: Interviewed, waitlisted

UCSD: interviewed, waitlisted

Rutgers: interviewed, accepted (full)

UMD: interviewed, accepted (full)

It was a very difficult decision to choose between UMD and Rutgers... How are you making decisions? 

1 hour ago, Wifi0000 said:

my updates...

It was a very difficult decision to choose between UMD and Rutgers... How are you making decisions? 

May I ask what kind of “full ride” you’re given by Rutgers? It’s on their website that their TAship is only 6hours a week, plus NY metropolitan area it’s still far away from a normal living expense

2 hours ago, Wifi0000 said:

my updates...

I’m leaning Rutgers right now, did you interview in person? I was at the table with the guy who had a hedgehog