MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Okay, with today's rejection, here's my final results (all painting):

Yale: Rejected

Columbia: Rejected

Bard: Accepted, 1/3rd scholarship, also attending!

Hunter: Rejected

Apparently, Bard this year only has 3 people going for painting, including me. I wonder how competitive this cycle was for the programs, as most data seems to be from 2015/2016.

Finally got my Columbia rejection today. I know this is a small thing, but they do deserve props for wording their denials in a polite, thoughtful, and overall encouraging manner. I knew the rejection was coming (wish they sent denials at the same time they send interview invites, like Yale does), but I felt weirdly good after reading the letter just now.

Results as of this writing:

Bard: Rejection imminent

Columbia: Rejected

Hunter: Rejected

SUNY New Paltz: Accepted

SUNY Purchase: Accepted

RISD: Rejected

University of Delaware: Unknown

Yale: Rejected

On 3/24/2024 at 10:58 AM, MFAturtle said:

Hello🙂 How is everyone doing during this time? We all did a great job going through this long process.

I have a question here. 
I’m an international applicant, and really need your opinions.
My major is sculpture, and I would like to choose between two schools. 

One is RISD and the other is the UCL Slade school of fine art in the UK.
I am thinking of continuing my art career after graduation, but I am wondering which one is the better choice considering the current art scene.

(Scholarships are very small, so they do not affect my choice.) If you have any opinions or thoughts on these, it would be very helpful for me to decide between them. 

Ps.  if you're going to or won't join the Columbia Sculpture Department, please let me know! Thank you!

Hello, I've decided I'm going to Columbia for sculpture. Really excited about working with the faculty there and being in NYC. I think they are making good changes for the future as well. Recently they have made diverse new hires as part of the full time faculty, and are making two more this year which is great for the future of the program etc. Not to mention their professor to student ratio is the best I've seen. 

Edited by LegitimateHealth

43 minutes ago, LegitimateHealth said:

Hello, I've decided I'm going to Columbia for sculpture. Really excited about working with the faculty there and being in NYC. I think they are making good changes for the future as well. Recently they have made diverse new hires as part of the full time faculty, and are making two more this year which is great for the future of the program etc. Not to mention their professor to student ratio is the best I've seen. 

That's really great news!!
Having an ideal ratio of professors to students is a really powerful thing. I can only imagine how exciting it would be to be actively working in NewYork, congratulations on your decision!!!🥳

Ok, so here's my where-I-stand post. 

For context, I am completing my BFA this May at Otis College of Art and Design.  I majored in Sculpture but make all sorts of work.  I need a substantial amount of financial aid/scholarship to be able to attend any program.

UCLA-Rejected

VCU Sculpture-Rejected

Yale-Rejected

ArtCenter-Accepted, no scholarship/funding

MassArt-Accepted, no scholarship/funding 

Otis College of Art and Design-Accepted, 27k/year funding (so far, planning to renegotiate)

MICA Rinehart-Accepted, 23k/year funding, being considered for other institutional scholarships and grants

RCA-Radio silence

Cornell-Applied late, no interview or emails thus faus far, r, not expecting anything but it was $10 to apply so fuck it

CalArts-Applied late, no interview or e 

Ok I literally had just decided to go to MICA's Rinehart program, then I got an acceptance from Pratt's Digital Media MFA (i didn't even interview?) and am trying to decide if this is god's way to tell me to stay in new york 

I've been procrastinating making my final decisions but now that I am starting to send out email responses, I will give my final update:

California College of the Arts: Accepted with full tuition, accepting their offer.

UT Austin: Accepted with full tuition remission + 21k yearly stipend.

Tyler: full tuition remission + 26k yearly stipend.

RISD: Accepted with 50% scholarship

Cranbrook: Accepted with no funding.

Boston University: accepted with 40% scholarship.

VCU: Waitlisted.

Saic: Rejected after interview.

Hunter: Rejected.

Rutgers: Rejected

Hi, Congrats to everyone on this application cycle!

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice. I got accepted into Rutgers (Full tuition + potential teaching appointment 10k/ semester after 1st semester) and UChicago (75% tuition + Teaching Assistantship offer 9k/ year). I'm based in the East Coast, and have visited both programs and met with faculty, students, and alumni. I'm really having a hard time choosing which program, they have similarities and quirks. I'm trying to remove the financial aspect from my decision. Along with my art practice, I'm a curator and my goal is to create an art space, I'm already doing that work with my own resources. 

I'd like the flexibility of being able to teach as my career develops, and both schools offer teaching opportunities while in their programs. Ultimately I know it'll be what I do in those programs and the connections I make, but I'm still stuck on which school. I'd Really appreciate it if you all have any thoughts. I have to made  a decision very soon....

Edited by ohtheplacesyoullgo

Has anyone heard from their prospective school(s) about FAFSA/financial aid? Haven't heard anything on my end and was wondering when that info comes in since the decision deadline is in ~2 weeks. 

Is it worth it to take out loans????????????????

weird....still nothing from Hunter. can't tell if that is good or bad.

where is everyone seeing their rejections/acceptances for hunter? is it in the application portal?

Edited by freakout2024

On 3/27/2024 at 2:21 PM, Goody2choos said:

I've been procrastinating making my final decisions but now that I am starting to send out email responses, I will give my final update:

California College of the Arts: Accepted with full tuition, accepting their offer.

UT Austin: Accepted with full tuition remission + 21k yearly stipend.

Tyler: full tuition remission + 26k yearly stipend.

RISD: Accepted with 50% scholarship

Cranbrook: Accepted with no funding.

Boston University: accepted with 40% scholarship.

VCU: Waitlisted.

Saic: Rejected after interview.

Hunter: Rejected.

Rutgers: Rejected

Thank you for freeing up a UT Austin Space and congratulations on CCA!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, first time posting here. Congrats and good wishes to everyone going through this process!!

My current situation is that I’m waitlisted for my top choice and have an admissions offer from another program. The program that offered admission is looking for a yes/no response very soon, and I’m not sure what to do…does anyone have advice? or experience on asking for an extension to responding? In my heart I’m not yet ready to give up on the waitlist, yet I want to treat the offer with respect and be thoughtful about it. 

1 hour ago, heart0fviolet said:

Hi, first time posting here. Congrats and good wishes to everyone going through this process!!

My current situation is that I’m waitlisted for my top choice and have an admissions offer from another program. The program that offered admission is looking for a yes/no response very soon, and I’m not sure what to do…does anyone have advice? or experience on asking for an extension to responding? In my heart I’m not yet ready to give up on the waitlist, yet I want to treat the offer with respect and be thoughtful about it. 

I would politely reach out and explain that I need more time to finalize my move due to financial and personal matters. I would appreciate an extension, but I by no means want to compromise my spot in the program. Is this possible?

1 hour ago, Stormy2226 said:

I would politely reach out and explain that I need more time to finalize my move due to financial and personal matters. I would appreciate an extension, but I by no means want to compromise my spot in the program. Is this possible?

That's a really wise way to put it! thank you :)

4 hours ago, freakout2024 said:

weird....still nothing from Hunter. can't tell if that is good or bad.

where is everyone seeing their rejections/acceptances for hunter? is it in the application portal?

On a whim I checked the portal on Monday and saw my rejection update. I then checked my email, and the Hunter email about the status update was in spam.

2 hours ago, Stormy2226 said:

Hello, I'm considering pursuing an MA in Painting at RCA London or an MFA in Painting at Cranbrook. Has anyone completed an MA and then applied for an MFA after?

Thanks so much for any input - Still waiting on Bard decision.

I’m finishing my MA now! It’s been a tremendous time—my particular program functions very similarly to an MFA program and my work has been radically changed by it! I got into two MFA programs this year, BU and MICA, and not sure if I’m going yet because of unrelated life things, but I feel like it did wonders for my applications. I applied to MFA programs a couple of years ago and didn’t get in anywhere, and looking back now I can see I would’ve needed a lot of hand holding in any program, whereas now my practice feels more developed and I feel like I could do awesome things in an MFA program. This is just my experience, of course, but I am soooooo grateful to be getting my MA before my MFA! 

1 hour ago, painterstranger said:

I’m finishing my MA now! It’s been a tremendous time—my particular program functions very similarly to an MFA program and my work has been radically changed by it! I got into two MFA programs this year, BU and MICA, and not sure if I’m going yet because of unrelated life things, but I feel like it did wonders for my applications. I applied to MFA programs a couple of years ago and didn’t get in anywhere, and looking back now I can see I would’ve needed a lot of hand holding in any program, whereas now my practice feels more developed and I feel like I could do awesome things in an MFA program. This is just my experience, of course, but I am soooooo grateful to be getting my MA before my MFA! 

Thank you. That's interesting and great to hear. If you don't mind me asking, where are you completing your MA?