Application Thread Fall 2024

coy.ote

Hi! Has anyone heard anything from Toronto's Art History PhD? Their website says they start rolling out decisions in March, so I'm not crazy worried, but sometimes they've released in February. Also unsure if they do interviews? If anyone has any info, or is just in the same boat, I'd love to know!!! Thnx!!!!

9 hours ago, wpefwldjsdj said:

Has MA results for Columbia and NYU IFA come out yet? Anyone hear back?

Also, anyone knows how the funding for MA in Columbia works? They said is "very limited and I should expect no funding" if I am accepted to the MA. But I have seen some people on gradadmissions on reddit for other disciplines saying they have TA/RA paying 13k to work 10hrs a week. Anyone knows anything about that? There's just no way I could go if there is really no funding. 

5 hours ago, cutiepie said:

Also, anyone knows how the funding for MA in Columbia works? They said is "very limited and I should expect no funding" if I am accepted to the MA. But I have seen some people on gradadmissions on reddit for other disciplines saying they have TA/RA paying 13k to work 10hrs a week. Anyone knows anything about that? There's just no way I could go if there is really no funding. 

Never heard of anyone getting funding for the art history MA at Columbia; I was under the impression that they didn't offer funding for it at all in the first place. A lot of what I've seen on past threads here seems to imply it's regarded as a cash cow program. For your sake though I hope I'm wrong and they give you some funding!

Hi everyone - has anyone heard from/know approximately when results from Boston University are announced? They have a later application deadline (Jan 10) so I’m assuming mid-March

Just found out that I got accepted to UMass Amherst, but with no funding :( Extremely bummed since when I applied they advertised that they fund everyone they accept, and it was one of my favorites ..

20 hours ago, coy.ote said:

Just found out that I got accepted to UMass Amherst, but with no funding :( Extremely bummed since when I applied they advertised that they fund everyone they accept, and it was one of my favorites ..

I also saw in last year posts people saying they got funded and it was one of the reasons I applied. Not that I received anything 🙃. But wouldn't be able to go if it wasn't funded anyway so...

49 minutes ago, cutiepie said:

also saw in last year posts people saying they got funded and it was one of the reasons I applied. Not that I received anything 🙃. But wouldn't be able to go if it wasn't funded anyway so...

It was part of why I applied too!! I tried to apply only to programs that offered funding to avoid this kind of situation, but instead I got bamboozled I guess 😭 Their website literally says this:

• The program financially supports graduate students through teaching assistantships and fellowship awards. Teaching positions provide students with comprehensive financial support including a stipend, 95 percentage of health insurance costs, and full tuition credit. For students who do not receive teaching assistantships, fellowships are awarded to help with the cost of tuition.

Which I interpreted as: If we don't give you a TA position, we'll fund you through fellowships! Sighhh... I'm upset about it but they told me they would let me know if funding does become available, and I haven't heard from other programs yet, so we'll see. Fingers crossed for you as well!

On 3/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, coy.ote said:

It was part of why I applied too!! I tried to apply only to programs that offered funding to avoid this kind of situation, but instead I got bamboozled I guess 😭 Their website literally says this:

• The program financially supports graduate students through teaching assistantships and fellowship awards. Teaching positions provide students with comprehensive financial support including a stipend, 95 percentage of health insurance costs, and full tuition credit. For students who do not receive teaching assistantships, fellowships are awarded to help with the cost of tuition.

Which I interpreted as: If we don't give you a TA position, we'll fund you through fellowships! Sighhh... I'm upset about it but they told me they would let me know if funding does become available, and I haven't heard from other programs yet, so we'll see. Fingers crossed for you as well!

This is really unfortunate to hear, as I went there for my BA and I know they've historically prided themselves on offering a fully funded MA program (and that it's connected to the fact that they don't offer a PhD program). If I can answer any questions for you about the department or the Amherst area, though, please feel free to message me! Fingers crossed that the funding comes through.

Okay so I was rejected from the PhD at Chicago for NELC but they said they liked my application and sent it to be reviewed by the middles eastern studies program for the MA. I got an email saying I have an admissions update but my login is only for the PhD application and I can’t find the MA status update. I emailed the admissions department but they haven’t replied. I’m going a bit stir crazy knowing there is a decision somewhere I can’t access. Did anyone else have this problem? Do you know how to fix it? 

Also, I’m waitlisted at AAMW, I was wondering if the person who was accepted and still pending could provide any insight into what they were thinking? I’m tired of limbo and I’d like to know any information!

Congrats to everyone who has made a decision! 

2 hours ago, PhdtoDig said:

Okay so I was rejected from the PhD at Chicago for NELC but they said they liked my application and sent it to be reviewed by the middles eastern studies program for the MA. I got an email saying I have an admissions update but my login is only for the PhD application and I can’t find the MA status update. I emailed the admissions department but they haven’t replied. I’m going a bit stir crazy knowing there is a decision somewhere I can’t access. Did anyone else have this problem? Do you know how to fix it? 

Also, I’m waitlisted at AAMW, I was wondering if the person who was accepted and still pending could provide any insight into what they were thinking? I’m tired of limbo and I’d like to know any information!

Congrats to everyone who has made a decision! 

I'm in another program at Penn right now.  If you'd like some inside info on the innerworkings of AAMW from someone outside the program, I'd be happy to provide it!

I think programs are definitely taking longer to send out results than usual! I saw some people on Reddit claiming it's because there are delays with the new FAFSA, but I don't know why that would massively affect results.

Did anyone here post the interview for Williams on the results page, or any of the Tufts decisions? Are the Tufts decisions only for the art history program or has anyone heard from art history and museum studies? I applied to both of these schools so seeing results is really hurting my morale lol, I also got waitlisted by Tulane. So far I only have one funded offer and it's from my least favorite choice.

3 hours ago, coy.ote said:

Did anyone here post the interview for Williams on the results page, or any of the Tufts decisions? Are the Tufts decisions only for the art history program or has anyone heard from art history and museum studies? I applied to both of these schools so seeing results is really hurting my morale lol, I also got waitlisted by Tulane. So far I only have one funded offer and it's from my least favorite choice.

I applied to the MA in art history and museum studies, and the DGS emailed me yesterday with an informal acceptance; the official letter came in the portal today. The department admin. also hinted to me that they release decisions all at once, but I'm not sure if that is 100% correct so keep up hope. I will probably not accept the offer since they didn't give me too much funding, and I have offers from better programs with better funding. 

As for Williams, no news from them yet, although I am not feeling positive since I realize I made a bunch embarrassing typos in the statement 🤪.

Edited by aurelienne
clarification

1 hour ago, aurelienne said:

I applied to the MA in art history and museum studies, and the DGS emailed me yesterday with an informal acceptance; the official letter came in the portal today. The department admin. also hinted to me that they release decisions all at once, but I'm not sure if that is 100% correct so keep up hope. I will probably not accept the offer since they didn't give me too much funding, and I have offers from better programs with better funding. 

As for Williams, no news from them yet, although I am not feeling positive since I realize I made a bunch embarrassing typos in the statement 🤪.

Same here- I still haven't heard back from Williams, but I realized actually two days ago I wrote my Williams SOP about wanting to work with a professor who is retired lol so honestly spelling typos is not the worst mistake! 

Edited by gomujanggab

2 hours ago, aurelienne said:

Thanks for the info!! At this point I'm mentally preparing myself for a waitlist at best from Tufts but I'll try to hold onto hope. I know Williams does rolling admissions, so maybe they scatter their interviews too? Typos aren't the end of the world imo, so I'm hoping for the best for you!

I've been feeling pretty bad about where I stand because I don't feel great about my chances at Tufts and Williams, so my only hope at this point is CU Boulder... but they haven't gotten back to me yet. That or UMass Amherst gets me funding, but I'm not 100% on if that will happen. They've been very communicative and one of the professors reached out to schedule a Zoom call and said they would love to have me attend, but them liking me doesn't guarantee a TA position.

1 hour ago, cutiepie said:

Just got a notification that I was recommended by the departament and still was refused admission at a Phd in Art and Architectural History... 😭

I'm so sorry! 😭 That is insanely frustrating, I don't know what would make the graduate school reject you if the department recommended you??

I had my interview with Williams today. This has been for the most part an unsuccessful cycle for me, (waitlisted at one other program, and rejected every where else) so Williams is my last shot at going to grad school this year. It was a short 20-ish minute interview, and I think I did pretty well, but I also could hear a bit of hesitance on their questions regarding my unconventional background (I don't have a BA in art history). They did say it is a rolling admissions process, so I don't think they are done sending out interviews.

This cycle has been rough y'all. 

11 hours ago, gomujanggab said:

In people's opinion, is it more worth to attend a funded MA program vs a MA program that is not giving any scholarship? Any input would be much appreciated! 

Unless you can afford an unfunded MA without taking out loans and without any financial strain, it's not worth it at all IMO. In a field like art history where you likely won't be making a lot of money, going into debt for the degree isn't worth it. All my professors who took out loans for their PhDs strongly encouraged me to only go to programs that fully funded me because of this.

Also, I'm not sure if this is really true but it's my assumption based on the reputations of "cash cow" programs, it seems like whether a program offers funding to students may be indicative of the resources you'll receive there. A lot of art history MAs that don't fund students focus most of their energy on their PhD students instead, I've heard. So I'd be cautious about generally unfunded programs.

Hi all, I just realized this forum was going lol. I'm applying for MA programs in art history and a couple in archaeology since my interest is in Byzantine carved gemstones and other natural materials like feathers. 

Rejections: Temple, U of Arizona, WUSTL.

Waitlisted: Tulane

Acceptances: NYU IFA, Yale (MA Archaeology), Cornell (MA Archaeology), University of Illinois-Chicago (waitlist for funding), GWU, University of Florida (fully funded), Ohio University (fully funded), Arizona State (accepted but declined).

Still waiting: Williams, UMass-Amherst, CU Boulder, Penn, University of Washington, Columbia, Tufts