Application Thread Fall 2024

coy.ote

Where is everyone applying to? How's the application process going? :) Thought I'd start a thread since there isn't one yet!

I'm interested in contemporary Latin American and Indigenous art, and looking to get an MA for a career in curation/museums. Right now my list includes Williams College, Florida State University, University of Colorado Boulder, Boston University, and Tufts University. I'm still considering whether or not to apply to University of Oregon and University of Illinois Chicago. It's been stressful for me so far as I basically need full funding to attend, and don't have an amazing cumulative GPA, but I'm chugging along regardless!

• 2 weeks later...

I would encourage you not to waste time and money on the application and not apply to the University of Oregon for an MA. The program has had its funding significantly cut back by the university. The last time MAs were fully funded was in 2019. Now, PhDs have all the priorities. On the rare case that an MA receives funding, it is on a case by case basis and is tied to teaching. If you receive a teaching position that term, you get funding. If not, then no. There is also no one who would be able to properly supervise a project on your topics of interest. I hope this does not sound too scary and discouraging, I just really don't want anyone to be disenchanted with the program, especially not MA students. Good luck with your other applications!

On 10/24/2023 at 12:29 AM, emerald_hedgehog said:

I would encourage you not to waste time and money on the application and not apply to the University of Oregon for an MA. The program has had its funding significantly cut back by the university. The last time MAs were fully funded was in 2019. Now, PhDs have all the priorities. On the rare case that an MA receives funding, it is on a case by case basis and is tied to teaching. If you receive a teaching position that term, you get funding. If not, then no. There is also no one who would be able to properly supervise a project on your topics of interest. I hope this does not sound too scary and discouraging, I just really don't want anyone to be disenchanted with the program, especially not MA students. Good luck with your other applications!

Not discouraging at all, I really appreciate the insight! I was going back and forth on whether to really apply there or not, and this makes my decision a lot easier. I wish more programs would be open about how much funding they give :(

On 10/23/2023 at 11:16 PM, garfield4ever said:

I've restarted my SOP like 4 times and I feel like I'm going crazy.

Good luck with CU Boulder, I got my undergrad there and heard many good things from the MA students I talked to, especially in regards to funding.

Ahh the SOP pain... I think I finally have something good but I agonized over it for a while too! Writeivy's "Structure is Magic" guide helped me a lot for figuring out a structure. Also, once I started thinking of it as more of a cover letter than an undergrad admissions essay, it became clearer what I should focus on.

Glad to hear good things about CU Boulder!! It's definitely one of the top programs on my list. Good luck to you too on your SOP!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope things are going well for everyone! I finally have a (mostly) final list of schools: Tufts, FSU, CU Boulder, Williams, Tulane, and UMass Amherst :o I also have drafts done for my statements and my writing sample, and I have all my recommenders... nothing to do until I get feedback on my materials which is driving me a little crazy!!

I keep going back and forth on whether 6 schools is enough but I feel comfortable with my fit at these programs. It's just the worry that I'm not casting my net wide enough and I'll get rejected everywhere I guess. But I'm trying to stay hopeful!! My recommenders have been very encouraging and confident I'll have a lot of options so I'm trying to believe them :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm planning to apply to William's Grad Art program since it's been recommended by many people. I was told that there isn't a minimum grade requirement for entry and that grades would be factored in but admission is competitive. So I was wondering if anyone knows what else they would be looking for or prioritize in an application? For those who have been accepted, any tips for personal statements and writing samples? Thanks and good luck to everyone applying for next year :) 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:48 PM, Angelz said:

So I was wondering if anyone knows what else they would be looking for or prioritize in an application?

Most graduate programs don't put a massive emphasis on grades, so I've been assuming at Williams it's similar to other programs--your SOP, LORs, writing sample, and experience being the most important. I do also wonder if, because of the program's focus on museum work, having internship/museum experience gives you more of a leg up than research...? I'm just as in the dark as you are though! Good luck to us both! :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all! Thought I would bring this up again as we're slowly starting to hear back (hopefully soon!). I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Art History with a focus on photography and performance, applied to a ton of reach schools as it is my first cycle and I wanted to see what I was capable of. I graduated from undergrad in 2022 and have been doing a fellowship in a university art collection. My main drawback at this moment is my undergrad GPA as I was both a STEM and art history double major! I've heard that the process this year has been quick for humanities applications with Northwestern specifically sending out interviews for Art History yesterday (hey! Northwestern applicant, if you see this, would love to know your subfield :) ).  Best of Luck to everyone and hopefully we can keep each other updated! 

Wow, interviews already :o Half of my deadlines haven't even passed yet so I'm not expecting to hear back until the usual March/April, but I sure hope the process goes quick this year :lol:

On 1/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, joy99_99 said:

My main drawback at this moment is my undergrad GPA as I was both a STEM and art history double major!

Doing both STEM and art history is super impressive! Taking that into context, your GPA shouldn't have a huge impact on your application (IMO). Fingers crossed for you!

Hey everyone! 

I applied in the end to 4 PhD programs in the US - Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, and Columbia. I focused on fully funded programs with a strong early modern department.  Am also considering some structured programs in the Netherlands and other places in Europe. US applications are in but I haven't heard back from anywhere yet (not surprisingly). Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to hearing more about where people are applying!

Hello all, 

I decided to finally make an account and chime in after being a long-time lurker. I'm applying to a mix of MAs and PhDs this year. I applied to CWRU in Cleveland, Williams, Tufts, University of Chicago, Penn, Rutgers, and UNC! 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, joy99_99 said:

Hi all! Thought I would bring this up again as we're slowly starting to hear back (hopefully soon!). I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Art History with a focus on photography and performance, applied to a ton of reach schools as it is my first cycle and I wanted to see what I was capable of. I graduated from undergrad in 2022 and have been doing a fellowship in a university art collection. My main drawback at this moment is my undergrad GPA as I was both a STEM and art history double major! I've heard that the process this year has been quick for humanities applications with Northwestern specifically sending out interviews for Art History yesterday (hey! Northwestern applicant, if you see this, would love to know your subfield :) ).  Best of Luck to everyone and hopefully we can keep each other updated! 

Hi! Northwestern applicant/interviewee here. My subfield is medieval!

Hi friends! First time long time. I'm looking to focus on the transition between the late 19th and early 20th centuries in Europe. I recently completed my master's in the UK (from the USA originally). I wanted to apply to a lot of reachy programs as its my first cycle (as joy99_99) said. I applied to Yale, Columbia, Princeton, CUNY, and NYU. I'm looking forward to connecting with you all and compulsively refreshing this thread 😅. Cheers!