2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

3 minutes ago, aurqcyei said:

asdflknsafsd I seriously just tucked and smothered my hopes into bed last week, but are you possibly indicating that Iowa is still making calls for both genres?

I can’t speak on fiction because I didn’t inquire directly about that, but I do know they are fairly early in the process of notifying poetry prospectives. 

So, thinking back on that "signs" discussion, I'd like your advice.

My first acceptance, which is at risk of being cancelled, just had their prospective student meet & greet cancelled do to a freak blizzard. 10 feet of snow.

Scrolling on TikTok, I saw a video of a plane crash at the city where that college is. Sad to watch and learn about it, but I know that means nothing on its own.

Then, an hour ago, I took my brother's car to get groceries for my mom, and when I went back out of the parking lot... It'd vanished. Someone stole it. It's a 199x junk sedan. It's been stolen while my grandfather's in for a risky procedure for his cancer. 🙃

Currently working out the legal stuff but--how do you stop noticing "bad" signs? Everything is indicating to me that maybe I should stay in my tiny hometown forever, and that I'm not meant to leave, and I know that's super irrational but I struggle to know how else to read it. 

11 minutes ago, Rixor said:

My first acceptance, which is at risk of being cancelled, just had their prospective student meet & greet cancelled do to a freak blizzard. 10 feet of snow.

Scrolling on TikTok, I saw a video of a plane crash at the city where that college is. Sad to watch and learn about it, but I know that means nothing on its own.

Then, an hour ago, I took my brother's car to get groceries for my mom, and when I went back out of the parking lot... It'd vanished. Someone stole it. It's a 199x junk sedan. It's been stolen while my grandfather's in for a risky procedure for his cancer. 🙃

Currently working out the legal stuff but--how do you stop noticing "bad" signs? Everything is indicating to me that maybe I should stay in my tiny hometown forever, and that I'm not meant to leave, and I know that's super irrational but I struggle to know how else to read it. 

DUDE! sorry about the wheels.

and you're right, super irrational. as long as you're looking at things super irrationally, aren't all these things just as likely to indicate something good is going to happen?

34 minutes ago, Rixor said:

So sorry about your car and that all this is piling up! Just chiming in here to say that I don't know about you, but even when too many good things happen to me in a row I start wondering whether I'm destined to experience something awful soon. And that's not to say that I'm right — but that our anxiety brains can twist anything into a bad omen or an excuse to stress! If you're worried about noticing bad signs, you'll see them everywhere. None of these events are connected to your future or your potential or your talent as a writer. Keep your head up, you'll get through this.

41 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Ah, Rixor, I am so sorry about the car - my car was stolen in 2012 and I will never forget how violating that felt. DMs are open if you need someone to lend an ear. 

7 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

I just found out that I received a 50% scholarship to The New School! Ah, after receiving some frustrating news today about one of my brothers, I realllllllly needed this. I still have yet to run the numbers to see if it's affordable but I will take the win right now. 

Congrats!!! Also received a scholarship for fiction. Maybe I’ll see you there! 

Hi! I found this thread from my incessant Googling of "the schools I applied to + admission release date," haha. This is my first year applying and I'm hoping to pursue Creative Nonfiction. 

I've gone through the last couple of pages of chats and was wondering if anyone has heard from Emerson? I also applied to Sarah Lawrence -- I emailed them Feb. 20 and the Assistant Director of the MFA Writing program told that they "expect to release admission decisions in early March." Crossed fingers! 

Edited by rco_

1 hour ago, rco_ said:

Hi! I found this thread from my incessant Googling of "the schools I applied to + admission release date," haha. This is my first year applying and I'm hoping to pursue Creative Nonfiction. 

I've gone through the last couple of pages of chats and was wondering if anyone has heard from Emerson? I also applied to Sarah Lawrence -- I emailed them Feb. 20 and the Assistant Director of the MFA Writing program told that they "expect to release admission decisions in early March." Crossed fingers! 

Welcome to the madhouse! I didn't apply there but I have been spending most of my life on this thread and I don't believe Emerson has notified yet lol

15 hours ago, rco_ said:

I also applied to Sarah Lawrence -- I emailed them Feb. 20 and the Assistant Director of the MFA Writing program told that they "expect to release admission decisions in early March." Crossed fingers! 

Woo!! Thank you for sharing. 

@Rixor Sounds like a string of bad luck. I’ve been there. Definitely felt like the world was punishing me or testing me but in reality life is just..bad..sometimes. And then it’s good. Really good. I’m hoping something really good comes your way. I wouldn’t interpret any of those things as signs or bad omens. 

Hey - I don't know if anyone saw on Draft - but a current student at IWW commented that all Iowa acceptances are out. 

I didn't get one and can I just say I am truly RELIEVED TO KNOW SOMETHING! I was not accepted to Iowa. My plans for not moving to Iowa officially commence. (unless I'm waitlisted.) (but let's not get our hopes up again.)

3 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Hey - I don't know if anyone saw on Draft - but a current student at IWW commented that all Iowa acceptances are out. 

I didn't get one and can I just say I am truly RELIEVED TO KNOW SOMETHING! I was not accepted to Iowa. My plans for not moving to Iowa officially commence. (unless I'm waitlisted.) (but let's not get our hopes up again.)

All Iowa fiction acceptances, I believe. 

53 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Is this including the Iowa NWP? Nonfiction writing program?