2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

I wanted to create a forum to see how applications are going for everyone! If you could share schools you’ve applied for and how they are going, that’d be awesome! I’m sharing mine first hoping to start this tread :)

Michigan State SLS: interviewed

UW-Madison: interviewd

U of Hawaii: under review

I am still waiting to apply for Northern Arizona and Penn state at the end of this month, but I won’t be applying if I get admission during January. 

Hello, 

I applied to Michigan State University for Lingusitics program and I have not recieved any emails yet! Can I ask you when you received an email about the interview and how it went? Did they mention when they will send out the results? 

University at Buffalo and University of California Santa Cruz: interviewed

MSU, UW, OSU, UF, UG, UT,USC (south carolina) under review

5 hours ago, reaearteacher said:

I wanted to create a forum to see how applications are going for everyone! If you could share schools you’ve applied for and how they are going, that’d be awesome! I’m sharing mine first hoping to start this tread :)

Michigan State SLS: interviewed

UW-Madison: interviewd

U of Hawaii: under review

I am still waiting to apply for Northern Arizona and Penn state at the end of this month, but I won’t be applying if I get admission during January. 

Hiya! I have received an interview email on Dec 19 from the program director. The interview happened last week for everyone (we had options to pick a time between Jan 10 - Jan 12). They informed me in the email that it will be 15 min long and will be asking about my research. That’s literally all they asked. They said they’ll let me know in 1-2 weeks. As far as I know, Linguistics and SLS are completely separate at MSU, so I think you don’t have to worry about it. 

Edited by reaearteacher

I applied to 10 programs and it is not looking good right now.

In process:

Temple - hopping to hear something this week

Purdue - hoping to hear something this week

Hawaii - around next week they will send out requests

Iowa State - around next week they will send out requests

Northern Arizona - won't be until February

University of South Florida - probably won't be until February

University of Mississippi - I have no idea

(most likely) rejected:

Michigan State - did not receive an interview request in December

University of California Santa Cruz - a bit of a stretch as it is a related discipline, but they already sent out requests

Northwestern - someone posted about the open house, others said they got no communication until a decision letter came

39 minutes ago, hsyg6182 said:

In process:

(most likely) rejected:

University of California Santa Cruz - a bit of a stretch as it is a related discipline, but they already sent out requests

Northwestern - someone posted about the open house, others said they got no communication until a decision letter came

3 hours ago, reaearteacher said:

Hiya! I have received an interview email on Dec 19 from the program director. The interview happened last week for everyone (we had options to pick a time between Jan 10 - Jan 12). They informed me in the email that it will be 15 min long and will be asking about my research. That’s literally all they asked. They said they’ll let me know in 1-2 weeks. As far as I know, Linguistics and SLS are completely separate at MSU, so I think you don’t have to worry about it. 

Oh, I see. Thank you so much for the information. Please keep me posted about the results. I will do the same too. Maybe we see each other at MSU. Good luck with the admission process!

50 minutes ago, hsyg6182 said:

In process:

(most likely) rejected:

The University of California Santa Cruz said that they will inform me about their decision in 1 or 2 months. Their interview is an ongoing process, I guess. Therefore, wait to see what happens. Wish you the best!

I would say that you don’t have to worry about not hearing back just yet since most schools usually start their interview process mid January. I think MSU is always really early compared to any other programs. I also think it depends a lot on PoI, whether they do this process sooner than later. I hope you hear back from them soon!

7 minutes ago, reaearteacher said:

I would say that you don’t have to worry about not hearing back just yet since most schools usually start their interview process mid January. I think MSU is always really early compared to any other programs. I also think it depends a lot on PoI, whether they do this process sooner than later. I hope you hear back from them soon!

Michigan State is very earlier because of the amount of applications they get and they have a fairly large department. For most schools it depends on if they make first cuts by committee or individually.

Acceptance rates are very low and a couple have already passed their usual response window so I wouldn’t be shocked to be declined.

Would you guys share your CV briefly as well? Like education, work experience, publication, presentation? I read through all the forums here and it’s always insightful to see what other people have. I hate when people ask and don’t share theirs first, so I’ll write mine first. If you feel uncomfortable, ofc you don’t have to share.

My CV: International student. BA in English Language and Literature, MA in TESOL right now, EFL/ESL teaching experience, RA experience, GTA experience, two publications as a co-author (one in press and the other under review), two presentations (one random NAFSA conference and AAAL 2024 colloquial accepted and scheduled), one book proposal prep in southern epistemology with a bunch of scholars.

That’s about it for me. 

MS Ed in TESOL. Several years of teaching university level English abroad. Two peer reviewed publications (single authored), a couple presentations.

Previously, spread over a few years, applied to 6 programs. Resulted in 3 interviews and no acceptances. 

Wondering if anyone has received their application outcomes for the following schools.

1. Georgetown University

2. UPenn

3. University of Illinois at Urbana

4. University of Wisconsin, Madison

15 minutes ago, reaearteacher said:

I’ve gotten an interview offer last week and interviewed with PoI yesterday for SLA at University of Wisconsin-Madison 

Good hear! When did you submit your application for U of Wisconsin?

Hello, I applied to around 10 Phd programs in SLS and applied linguistics.

1. Michigan State, SLS: might be rejected. No interview invitation.

2. Florida State, Foreign and Second Language Education: Had official interview on Jan 11, waiting for the results!

3. Georgia State, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 15, under review

4. Northern Arizona University, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 31, submitted

5. U of Hawaii, SLS: My Poi said I could hear back from them around Jan, but no news at all up to now.

6. Iowa State, Applied Linguistics and Technology: No news

7. University of Iowa: No news (maybe I could hear back at the late Jan)

8. U of Arizona, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching: No news

9. Arizona State, Applied Linguistics: No news

10. U of Minnesota, Second Language Education: Got admission offer but no funding info.

I hope this helps!

3 hours ago, reaearteacher said:

That’s awesome that you’ve already got admission! Can I ask who your PoI for U of Hawaii is? I put two young male professors who work together often but only talked to one in language assessment which isn’t my main area at all

I think your poi is Dr. Daniel Isbell. I reached out to him as well!

Yeah he's the one of two I've put and talked on Zoom back in November! I'll keep you posted if I hear back from Hawaii. Do you mind sharing MSU PoI? I've put Dr. De Felice but they did mention someone else during the interview  so I'm guessing some of the core faculty are not accepting students 

5 hours ago, reaearteacher said:

Yeah he's the one of two I've put and talked on Zoom back in November! I'll keep you posted if I hear back from Hawaii. Do you mind sharing MSU PoI? I've put Dr. De Felice but they did mention someone else during the interview  so I'm guessing some of the core faculty are not accepting students 

My poi of MSU SLS program is Dr. Loewen. I heard that he is not the admissions committee this year. We had good conversation but I think I got rejected from the committee. Let me know your Hawaii process. Thanks!

Hello again!

Yesterday, I recieved an email from Ohio State University that I have been waitlisted! 

If you are waitlisted, can you say your rank among students? I was in the top 17! 

If you got a better offer and you are considering to decline their offer, can you post it here?

Thank you so much!

I am looking forward to my limited chances. 🤒

2 hours ago, Star2024 said:

Hello again!

Yesterday, I recieved an email from Ohio State University that I have been waitlisted! 

If you are waitlisted, can you say your rank among students? I was in the top 17! 

If you got a better offer and you are considering to decline their offer, can you post it here?

Thank you so much!

I am looking forward to my limited chances. 🤒

Hello! Did you apply to Linguistics doctoral program? I know there is Foreign, Second and Multilingual Language Education phd program as well which I think is similar to applied linguistics area.

5 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello! Did you apply to Linguistics doctoral program? I know there is Foreign, Second and Multilingual Language Education phd program as well which I think is similar to applied linguistics area.

Hello. Yes, I applied to Linguistics PhD program. 

I just got an email from Hawaii about a prelim interview offer from the other PoI. It's not official interview but informal one to talk about my research interests. I think even if this goes well I still need to have another official interview with the committee for Hawaii (I saw many in the past had prelim interviews with PoI but still got rejected) One thing for sure is that faculty members are currently reviewing the applications for shortlists I'd say!

Edited by reaearteacher

51 minutes ago, reaearteacher said:

I just got an email from Hawaii about a prelim interview offer from the other PoI. It's not official interview but informal one to talk about my research interests. I think even if this goes well I still need to have another official interview with the committee for Hawaii (I saw many in the past had prelim interviews with PoI but still got rejected) One thing for sure is that faculty members are currently reviewing the applications for shortlists I'd say!

Well guess I can add that one to the rejected list.