2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

honestly I'd wait another week or so to see if your PoI or committee contact. The email was very clear that this is an informal, prelim interview just to talk about my research interests. This is something you can get by contacting PoI before applications. 

29 minutes ago, reaearteacher said:

honestly I'd wait another week or so to see if your PoI or committee contact. The email was very clear that this is an informal, prelim interview just to talk about my research interests. This is something you can get by contacting PoI before applications. 

I get the impression that Dr. Crowther hasn’t ever really been super impressed with me, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Just what I was told during the interview is that faculty members are currently interviewing potential advisees. I'm sure each faculty does it at a different pace. Those lists get passed down to the committee where they do a larger review on a departmental level. So, whoever you put down as your PoI reviews your applications and schedule a meeting if they're interested. He did say if committee picks my application I will still need to have an official meeting again. He also mentioned that either way I should hear back in about a week or by the end of this month. 

In an informal interview with PoI at Hawaii, he asked about my background and research interests as well as my research direction for PhD. He asked in detail, asking many follow-up questions about exactly what directions I'd take, which didn't happen with other schools. It might also be because my research area is what he's most well-versed in. He knew what to ask. I hope this helps!

18 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Thanks for letting me know! I haven't got any notice from Hawaii which makes me stressful. I've got to see how it goes!

If you have already talked to Dr. Isbell on zoom before submitting the application, he might have sent it straight to the committee for review. I did not contact my other PoI, so he had to schedule an informal meeting to learn about me before handing it off to the committee.

3 hours ago, reaearteacher said:

If you have already talked to Dr. Isbell on zoom before submitting the application, he might have sent it straight to the committee for review. I did not contact my other PoI, so he had to schedule an informal meeting to learn about me before handing it off to the committee.

Thanks for your comment. In the meantime, I also got an email from Dr. Crowther regarding preliminary interview!! I did mention him on my Sop but did not reach out to him.

31 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Thanks for your comment. In the meantime, I also got an email from Dr. Crowther regarding preliminary interview!! I did mention him on my Sop but did not reach out to him.

Awesome! Best of luck on your interview and keep us posted! 

I received an interview request (and possibly already accepted?) at University of South Florida. I got the request three days (two if you consider the holiday on Monday) after the deadline which is incredibly quick, usually a fast turn around is about two weeks. Today I got an email asking me to create a university e-mail and I have access to the student portal, which I have only seen after people have been accepted and seems a bit strange. Interview isn't until Thursday.

Hi, all! My research interests lie in language assessment. I'd also like to share how my applications are going.

Please keep me posted if you have any news regarding the universities listed below! Good luck to everyone!

- UIUC: Interview request

- U of Hawaii at Manoa: under review (had a prelim interview in December)

- ISU: under review

- U of Michigan: under review

- MSU: probably got rejected as I got no news at all until now

- GSU: under review

- PSU: under review

Has anyone applied to FSU? I checked the application status page and something has been updated as follows:

Your application has been reviewed by your academic department and a recommendation has been made to the Graduate Admissions Office. The Graduate Admissions Office will complete the final review of your application and will post a final decision letter on this Status Page. Please continue monitoring your Application Status Page for updates. You will be notified by email when an update has been made to your application. 

I think final decision will be released shortly!

On 1/22/2024 at 9:45 AM, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi, all! My research interests lie in language assessment. I'd also like to share how my applications are going.

Please keep me posted if you have any news regarding the universities listed below! Good luck to everyone!

May I ask if UIUC is for a master's program or a phd? I also applied to a PhD program, but I have not heard anything yet. Thanks

32 minutes ago, jakebui said:

May I ask if UIUC is for a master's program or a phd? I also applied to a PhD program, but I have not heard anything yet. Thanks

Hi, I applied to a ph.d. program in Linguistics. Hope it helped.

On 1/22/2024 at 6:15 AM, 24PhdSLS said:

I applied to Linguistics program at MSU. No news so far!

4 hours ago, ProfB24 said:

I applied to MSU, Uni of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin Milwaukee, and Uni of Iowa but I've not heard from any of them. Any applicant to the PhD in Linguistics at Uni of Massachusetts Amherst?

I've got no news from MSU so far! 

On 1/16/2024 at 11:31 PM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, I applied to around 10 Phd programs in SLS and applied linguistics.

1. Michigan State, SLS: might be rejected. No interview invitation.

2. Florida State, Foreign and Second Language Education: Had official interview on Jan 11, waiting for the results!

3. Georgia State, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 15, under review

4. Northern Arizona University, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 31, submitted

5. U of Hawaii, SLS: My Poi said I could hear back from them around Jan, but no news at all up to now.

6. Iowa State, Applied Linguistics and Technology: No news

7. University of Iowa: No news (maybe I could hear back at the late Jan)

8. U of Arizona, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching: No news

9. Arizona State, Applied Linguistics: No news

10. U of Minnesota, Second Language Education: Got admission offer but no funding info.

I hope this helps!

Hiya! I have no update but I wanted to ask if you have submitted official or unofficial transcripts for NAU. I am just reviewing the details of the admission to finalize my application, and it sounds like I am required to submit official transcript, which sounds a little absurd to me before admitted. I also saw that application portal says GRE is option for this program. I am so confused. I was wondering if you have submitted (1) official transcript (2) GRE score!

1 hour ago, reaearteacher said:

Hiya! I have no update but I wanted to ask if you have submitted official or unofficial transcripts for NAU. I am just reviewing the details of the admission to finalize my application, and it sounds like I am required to submit official transcript, which sounds a little absurd to me before admitted. I also saw that application portal says GRE is option for this program. I am so confused. I was wondering if you have submitted (1) official transcript (2) GRE score!

Hello, I have uploaded my pdf scanned official transcripts. And yes, I know GRE score is needed to apply to NAU! Not sure if it is optional. I just sent it through ETS.

Edited by AplingPhd24
Add

5 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, I have uploaded my pdf scanned official transcripts. And yes, I know GRE score is needed to apply to NAU! Not sure if it is optional. I just sent it through ETS.

Despite what it says on the website GRE is not needed at NAU. This is from both Dr Kang and Dr. Egbert who is in charge of the graduate program information.

1 hour ago, AplingPhd24 said:

59 minutes ago, hsyg6182 said:

Despite what it says on the website GRE is not needed at NAU. This is from both Dr Kang and Dr. Egbert who is in charge of the graduate program information.

Are you guys both domestic? I am just realizing international students need to send the official transcript to the school on ground mail (I can scan official transcripts easily but the official website says ground mail only and I wanted to see if that's why everyone does). It costs money and takes weeks, so I wanted to make sure it's 100% only ground mail for international applicants. 

1 hour ago, hsyg6182 said:

Okay that's at least good to know that you have talked to some of the faculty members and confirmed. I did email the department, but I have not heard back yet. All I can say is that NAU website, especially Applied Linguistics, literally SUCKS. They are absolutely the worst out of all the programs I've looked at. Admission information is neither updated nor aligned. Such a horrible website.

8 minutes ago, reaearteacher said:

Okay that's at least good to know that you have talked to some of the faculty members and confirmed. I did email the department, but I have not heard back yet. All I can say is that NAU website, especially Applied Linguistics, literally SUCKS. They are absolutely the worst out of all the programs I've looked at. Admission information is neither updated nor aligned. Such a horrible website.

The majority of academic websites are not very good and often difficult to navigate. They often have to put in requests with an IT department or webmaster who has lots of other stuff to do. In addition, they are probably mostly interested in their research and studies. Having a nice website is not really important to if they get funding for example. It is like the last thing on their list.

1 minute ago, hsyg6182 said:

The majority of academic websites are not very good and often difficult to navigate. They often have to put in requests with an IT department or webmaster who has lots of other stuff to do. In addition, they are probably mostly interested in their research and studies. Having a nice website is not really important to if they get funding for example. It is like the last thing on their list.

Right, but at the same time not updating it to that point is a little absurd for a proper institution with well-known faculty members. I personally think it shows a lot about the program. MSU, for instance, has every single detail about the admission on their website as well as departmental news. PSU has very clear guidelines outlined for applications. I wouldn't say all programs have it all perfect, but NAU is definitely the worst of all I've seen. If this doesn't bother you, good for you. For me, it says a lot about the program.

8 minutes ago, reaearteacher said:

Right, but at the same time not updating it to that point is a little absurd for a proper institution with well-known faculty members. I personally think it shows a lot about the program. MSU, for instance, has every single detail about the admission on their website as well as departmental news. PSU has very clear guidelines outlined for applications. I wouldn't say all programs have it all perfect, but NAU is definitely the worst of all I've seen. If this doesn't bother you, good for you. For me, it says a lot about the program.

Last year there were two mistakes on the admission guide for MSU and the application portal that I emailed Dr. Winke about for clarification. 

GRE was a requirement for NAU last year, they removed it this year.

None of these speak to the quality of the research and how it matches with what I am interested in for my future studies.