2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

On 2/20/2024 at 11:54 AM, Kyukyu said:

Thank you! Yeah! I totally agree! I read their handbook before and it is written that the admission decision will come before the funding decision. So I guess they are expecting us to take some time to consider. 

I've just got my numbers for NAU this morning, and it is absolutely the lowest I've ever seen around and also I've gotten. I'm going to ask if there's any fellowship or additional stipend available, but I won't be able to take my spot with the current stipend because average rent in flagstaff is literally 1k - 1.6k for one person. I hope it's better for you. Damn! 

3 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I've just got my numbers for NAU this morning, and it is absolutely the lowest I've ever seen around and also I've gotten. I'm going to ask if there's any fellowship or additional stipend available, but I won't be able to take my spot with the current stipend because average rent in flagstaff is literally 1k - 1.6k for one person. I hope it's better for you. Damn! 

Thanks for the update! I haven't received new updates from them so far, but I know the RENT is insane in Flagstaff! I think it is even more expansive than Phoenix!

An update on my application process so far in Linguistics program (subfield: psycholinguistics):

1. University of Washington (No news; deadline: dec 16th)--> My honest guess = silent rejection
  2. University of Gerogia (No news: deadline: Jan 1st)
  3. University of Utah (No news: deadline: Jan 1oth)
  4. SUNY at Buffalo: admission with funding 💜
  5. University of California, Santa Cruz (waitlisted; we placed you very high ...) 😔
  6. Ohio State University; waitlisted
  7. University of South Carolina: waitlisted (I guess I shouldn't have applied to a college which waived the application fee for everyone. Thus, the competition was stiff.)
  8. Michigan State University: rejected 
  9. University of Florida: admission without funding. 

14 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Got waitlisted in Linguistics & Applied Linguistics at the Arizona State University. Also, got admission with generous fellowships at SUNY Buffalo.

Hello! Congrats. Glad to see your news on Buffalo. Can I ask which program you applied at SUNY Buffalo?

I applied to their PhD program in Lingusitics ,and I got a teaching assistanship offer. 

7 hours ago, researteacher said:

Sorry to interrupt you again! But did you receive a funding offer already? I sent them an inquiry email but I haven't received any final decision.

18 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Got waitlisted in Linguistics & Applied Linguistics at the Arizona State University. Also, got admission with generous fellowships at SUNY Buffalo.

Congrats!!! I am also on the waitlist for ASU😭 Waiting for a final decision is really stressful! Hopefully they will let us know ASAP

6 minutes ago, Kyukyu said:

Sorry to interrupt you again! But did you receive a funding offer already? I sent them an inquiry email but I haven't received any final decision.

Yeah I have received the official GTAship offer with funding information and job description from the graduate office. I was told not everyone gets GTAship, so you might want to double check if they’re giving you funding. 

Just now, researteacher said:

Yeah I have received the official GTAship offer with funding information and job description from the graduate office. I was told not everyone gets GTAship, so you might want to double check if they’re giving you funding. 

Thank you so much! I was told the decision is still ongoing, so I will just wait to see what I will get. Thank you again for the information! I appreciate it~

8 hours ago, Star2024 said:

Hello! Congrats. Glad to see your news on Buffalo. Can I ask which program you applied at SUNY Buffalo?

I applied to their PhD program in Lingusitics ,and I got a teaching assistanship offer. 

Hello, I applied to Language Education and Multilingualism (LEM) program at Graduate School of Education (GSE). I got one of the prestigious fellowships, but also I am waiting for a fellowship nomination from Georgia State! I would see how it goes!

On 2/22/2024 at 1:15 AM, Tav said:

Hi everyone! I've applied to 4 Linguistics PhD programs, and here're the results so far:

Purdue - accepted

USC (South Carolina) -interviewed with positive feedback

Univ Florida - rejected

Univ Washington - under review

I'm an international student and curious about the reputation of and campus life at Purdue vs USC. It would be great if anyone who can share your knowledge about the two unis and their linguistics programs. Thanks in advance ❤️

Congrats on your admission! I am currently living not very far away from Purdue and many professors of mine actually graduated there. I am not sure if my information helps, but if you'd like, feel free to DM me~ 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:15 AM, Tav said:

Hi everyone! I've applied to 4 Linguistics PhD programs, and here're the results so far:

Purdue - accepted

USC (South Carolina) -interviewed with positive feedback

Univ Florida - rejected

Univ Washington - under review

I'm an international student and curious about the reputation of and campus life at Purdue vs USC. It would be great if anyone who can share your knowledge about the two unis and their linguistics programs. Thanks in advance ❤️

Were you interviewed for Purdue? I also applied but got no response to date. I guess that's a rejection.

52 minutes ago, ProfB24 said:

Were you interviewed for Purdue? I also applied but got no response to date. I guess that's a rejection.

Yes, I was interviewed at the beginning of Feb. I guess no response/rejection may indicate that you're still being considered for the second round or on the waitlist or sth. After all, no direct rejection means possibilities.

3 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

My application journey has just finished. I decided to join Georgia State and will decline other offers.

Wow! Congratulations to you.

Sadly, I've not got a single offer. I have only done two interviews. Please, it seems you were interviewed at Iowa State University? If yes, since you're declining other offers, can you please recommend me? I'll send a message to your inbox.

7 hours ago, ProfB24 said:

Wow! Congratulations to you.

Sadly, I've not got a single offer. I have only done two interviews. Please, it seems you were interviewed at Iowa State University? If yes, since you're declining other offers, can you please recommend me? I'll send a message to your inbox.

Hello, may I ask you what does it mean by recommend you? I don't think there are other ways I can recommend you when I decline their offers though. I understand other applicants who are in the waitlist can get notification when available. Please let me know if I misunderstand.

6 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, may I ask you what does it mean by recommend you? I don't think there are other ways I can recommend you when I decline their offers though. I understand other applicants who are in the waitlist can get notification when available. Please let me know if I misunderstand.

Did you get a response from Iowa State or are you just choosing Georgia State regardless?

I had an interview like a month ago but haven’t gotten a response yet. They said they wouldn’t have a decision until the beginning of March. It’s the last pending application decision I have.

11 minutes ago, hsyg6182 said:

Did you get a response from Iowa State or are you just choosing Georgia State regardless?

I had an interview like a month ago but haven’t gotten a response yet. They said they wouldn’t have a decision until the beginning of March. It’s the last pending application decision I have.

Hello, I had an interview on Jan 31 but still have no updates so far either. I just choose GSU regardless of ISU. Fingers crossed for you!

7 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Check your inbox. Meanwhile, you can decline the offer now to give room for others I think. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

I was wondering if someone got the offer from Iowa State. I applied to ALT program at ISU, and am still waiting for the result. I decided to join GSU, but I was wondering if I got rejected.

I sent an email to the people I interviewed with if they had any information on my status about a week ago and got no response. I have gotten a few other offers so I tried to express that it was more just this was the last school that was up in the air and I’d like to make a decision soon. I know some professors want to distance themselves if it’s a rejection because some people don’t take it well.

I also got no response when I emailed them before applying to ask about the program so I wouldn’t read too deeply into not getting a response back.

1 hour ago, AplingPhd24 said:

I was wondering if someone got the offer from Iowa State. I applied to ALT program at ISU, and am still waiting for the result. I decided to join GSU, but I was wondering if I got rejected.

I'm not sure anyone has received any offer from them and it's not my thing to ask faculties the status of my admission. Fingers crossed