2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

On 1/22/2024 at 9:45 AM, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi, all! My research interests lie in language assessment. I'd also like to share how my applications are going.

Please keep me posted if you have any news regarding the universities listed below! Good luck to everyone!

- UIUC: Interview request

- U of Hawaii at Manoa: under review (had a prelim interview in December)

- ISU: under review

- U of Michigan: under review

- MSU: probably got rejected as I got no news at all until now

- GSU: under review

- PSU: under review

May I ask if you are domsetic or international?

1 minute ago, hsyg6182 said:

Last year there were two mistakes on the admission guide for MSU and the application portal that I emailed Dr. Winke about for clarification. 

GRE was a requirement for NAU last year, they removed it this year.

None of these speak to the quality of the research and how it matches with what I am interested in for my future studies.

I am happy you’re happy! Good for you!

17 hours ago, jakebui said:

Thank you

I guess I am not strong enough then. Can I know some of your stats please? Thank you

Hi, I think I got the email pretty fast, which means you might also have the opportunity to take an interview or an offer later. I'm an international student. B.A. in English Lit and M.Ed. in English Language and Teaching. I don't have any publications except my Master's thesis, but I have abundant teaching experience. RA and some guest lecturers experience. I wish you good luck in your admission process.

4 minutes ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi, I think I got the email pretty fast, which means you might also have the opportunity to take an interview or an offer later. I'm an international student. B.A. in English Lit and M.Ed. in English Language and Teaching. I don't have any publications except my Master's thesis, but I have abundant teaching experience. RA and some guest lecturers experience. I wish you good luck in your admission process.

May I ask what professors you want to work with and mentioned in your application?

1 minute ago, jakebui said:

May I ask what professors you want to work with and mentioned in your application?

I just want to say that I mentioned only one in my SOP, and his field heavily lies in language assessment. If you browse through the faculty list from the webpage, you will definitely find who he is. I didn't contact him prior to submitting the application.

On 1/22/2024 at 11:45 AM, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi, all! My research interests lie in language assessment. I'd also like to share how my applications are going.

Please keep me posted if you have any news regarding the universities listed below! Good luck to everyone!

- UIUC: Interview request

- U of Hawaii at Manoa: under review (had a prelim interview in December)

- ISU: under review

- U of Michigan: under review

- MSU: probably got rejected as I got no news at all until now

- GSU: under review

- PSU: under review

Hello, would you mind sharing your status at Georgia State? Did you apply for the Applied Linguistics, Ph.D. program? I am waiting for an interview notice, but I have had no updates until now. I was wondering if I would be rejected from the program.

Got interview invitation from Iowa State University's Applied Linguistics and Technology PhD program! She said, initial review has been done, and they are inviting potential advisees. They plan to record zoom interview to share other faculties for decision process. The interview will be conducted with two faculties. I will keep posted!

38 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Got interview invitation from Iowa State University's Applied Linguistics and Technology PhD program! She said, initial review has been done, and they are inviting potential advisees. They plan to record zoom interview to share other faculties for decision process. The interview will be conducted with two faculties. I will keep posted!

Great! Sounds like they didn’t like someone because in my experience a lot of places notify people about a week after an interview if they have been accepted. Bad for someone else but great for you.

All my interviews ended with a “we hope to make a decision by the end of next month” which in my experience is a polite no. No other requests came in over the last couple hours so I think that’s the end of the line for me.

Best of luck to everyone else.

UW-Madison SLA program director emailed me to let me know that I am among the few finalists and they are trying to find multi year funding to support my studies, which might not be possible if there is not enough as this will TA stipend. It depends on how many undergraduate students register and whether other departments have PhD students coming in.

The email was basically giving me an idea where they’re standing at this time, which was such a relief to know during this radio silence period, even though it might not lead to the final admission.

She did mention that the steering committee met last week and have chosen finalists, so whoever is on that list should have been contacted by now. 

That’s all the update I have for now. Best of luck to everyone during this scary and stressful time. 

On 1/27/2024 at 2:50 PM, hsyg6182 said:

Great! Sounds like they didn’t like someone because in my experience a lot of places notify people about a week after an interview if they have been accepted. Bad for someone else but great for you.

All my interviews ended with a “we hope to make a decision by the end of next month” which in my experience is a polite no. No other requests came in over the last couple hours so I think that’s the end of the line for me.

Best of luck to everyone else.

Hope your admission process goes well! Thank you!

16 hours ago, reaearteacher said:

UW-Madison SLA program director emailed me to let me know that I am among the few finalists and they are trying to find multi year funding to support my studies, which might not be possible if there is not enough as this will TA stipend. It depends on how many undergraduate students register and whether other departments have PhD students coming in.

The email was basically giving me an idea where they’re standing at this time, which was such a relief to know during this radio silence period, even though it might not lead to the final admission.

She did mention that the steering committee met last week and have chosen finalists, so whoever is on that list should have been contacted by now. 

That’s all the update I have for now. Best of luck to everyone during this scary and stressful time. 

Hello, thank you for your note! UW-Madison is such a good school and the SLA program is prestigious! I hope you get accepted! Finger crossed for you! Let us keep posted!

4 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, thank you for your note! UW-Madison is such a good school and the SLA program is prestigious! I hope you get accepted! Finger crossed for you! Let us keep posted!

Thank you! It looks like you are getting interviews from many places yay!! I wish you only the best of luck! Keep me posted :) 

3 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello all, I got the interview invitation from my POI at Georgia State's applied linguistics Ph.D. program. It will be on Feb 1. I would be happy to be hear from anyone applied to GSU!

Hey friend! Congrats :) You really are getting invitations from all of them! That’s awesome!

I wanted to ask if you’ve ever heard back from MSU even for rejection? I haven’t heard back and came to consensus with myself that it’s a no, but I haven’t seen anyone hearing back even for rejection I wanted to ask if you heard back yet. 

1 hour ago, reaearteacher said:

Hey friend! Congrats :) You really are getting invitations from all of them! That’s awesome!

I wanted to ask if you’ve ever heard back from MSU even for rejection? I haven’t heard back and came to consensus with myself that it’s a no, but I haven’t seen anyone hearing back even for rejection I wanted to ask if you heard back yet. 

Hey, I haven't gotten any mail, not even a rejection from MSU! Is MSU your top choice? I hope you can hear from them soon! Good luck to you! I will let you know if I get a rejection notice!

21 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hey, I haven't gotten any mail, not even a rejection from MSU! Is MSU your top choice? I hope you can hear from them soon! Good luck to you! I will let you know if I get a rejection notice!

Thank you so much for the reply! Yeah MSU is my top choice hopefully we hear back soon. I appreciate it! Best of luck for your upcoming interviews!

On 1/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, would you mind sharing your status at Georgia State? Did you apply for the Applied Linguistics, Ph.D. program? I am waiting for an interview notice, but I have had no updates until now. I was wondering if I would be rejected from the program.

Sorry for the late reply. I also got an interview offer from GSU and ISU! Hope our admission process goes well! I am still waiting for an invitation from the University of Hawaii. I noticed that you already had had prelim when you contacted some POIs there and got another prelim invitation a week ago. Were those two prelims different in terms of interviewers? Do you think they sent an official interview offer? I also had a prelim when contacting POI, and heard that he will be in touch during the admission process, but heard nothing yet. Could you please share more of your prelims from UH? Thank you so much in advance, and I hope everything goes well with your admission process!

6 minutes ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Sorry for the late reply. I also got an interview offer from GSU and ISU! Hope our admission process goes well! I am still waiting for an invitation from the University of Hawaii. I noticed that you already had had prelim when you contacted some POIs there and got another prelim invitation a week ago. Were those two prelims different in terms of interviewers? Do you think they sent an official interview offer? I also had a prelim when contacting POI, and heard that he will be in touch during the admission process, but heard nothing yet. Could you please share more of your prelims from UH? Thank you so much in advance, and I hope everything goes well with your admission process!

Hello, thanks for your note! Hope our admission process goes well! In terms of Hawaii prelims, I think that my two prelims was similar. I mentioned three faculties in my sop, but contacted only one, and I had prelim interview with him back in november. And my second prelim was with the other two POIs, they asked me my past experiences, future direction and I could ask them several questions, which I think it is quite general. They told me they are currently meeting candidates who they are willing to consider, listing finalist for the formal interview. I think the final interviewees will be notified couple weeks (hopefully this week! But unsure) I will meet faculties of ISU and GSU today and tomorrow! Hope to share with you! 

4 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, thanks for your note! Hope our admission process goes well! In terms of Hawaii prelims, I think that my two prelims was similar. I mentioned three faculties in my sop, but contacted only one, and I had prelim interview with him back in november. And my second prelim was with the other two POIs, they asked me my past experiences, future direction and I could ask them several questions, which I think it is quite general. They told me they are currently meeting candidates who they are willing to consider, listing finalist for the formal interview. I think the final interviewees will be notified couple weeks (hopefully this week! But unsure) I will meet faculties of ISU and GSU today and tomorrow! Hope to share with you! 

Thank you for the prompt response :) Hope both of us can be the finalists for the formal interview! Fingers crossed for your interviews today and tomorrow! Please keep me posted! 

2 hours ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Thank you for the prompt response :) Hope both of us can be the finalists for the formal interview! Fingers crossed for your interviews today and tomorrow! Please keep me posted! 

Yes, for sure. I will let you know if I have any updates. Please keep me posted on your status, too!

15 hours ago, 24PhdSLS said:

My ISU interview went pretty well. I had a chance to talk with two faculties, asking and answering questions about my research interests and future plans at the program. They said if I get admitted, I could work as a TA, lecturing English writing or public speaking courses to domestic undergrad students. It seems that they have a form of instructor training session before working. Final decisions will be released in a month, at the end of February at least. My interviews were recorded and would be shared with other faculties of the program! 

34 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

My ISU interview went pretty well. I had a chance to talk with two faculties, asking and answering questions about my research interests and future plans at the program. They said if I get admitted, I could work as a TA, lecturing English writing or public speaking courses to domestic undergrad students. It seems that they have a form of instructor training session before working. Final decisions will be released in a month, at the end of February at least. My interviews were recorded and would be shared with other faculties of the program! 

Thank you so much for the update! I'm glad that your interview went well. For ISU, my interview is scheduled for this Friday. When I contacted my POI earlier last December, I also got the same notice about the funding, that most doctoral students start the program working in teaching assistantship. Anyway, I will also keep you posted on how things go! Good luck to both of us! 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:04 PM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello all, I got the interview invitation from my POI at Georgia State's applied linguistics Ph.D. program. It will be on Feb 1. I would be happy to be hear from anyone applied to GSU!

Hello. Thank you very much for sharing this information. Hope you all the best on your interview.  I have received no updates from GSU. Did your GSU application portal show anything indicating that it is under review? My application does not indicate anything whatsoever, not even stating whether the application is complete or even under review (I applied in late November). Would you please provide information regarding this? Should have I recived a notice on my portal showing that the application is under the review?

5 hours ago, dlf said:

Hello. Thank you very much for sharing this information. Hope you all the best on your interview.  I have received no updates from GSU. Did your GSU application portal show anything indicating that it is under review? My application does not indicate anything whatsoever, not even stating whether the application is complete or even under review (I applied in late November). Would you please provide information regarding this? Should have I recived a notice on my portal showing that the application is under the review?

Hey, thanks for your word! I see that the GSU's application portal does not show anything regarding the application process. Currently, my status on the portal is "Submitted." I got PhD interview notice via email from the director of the graduate program, and I was told I would have a 30-minute Zoom interview with two faculties I mentioned in my SOP. I have finished my interview, and they said they are currently meeting candidates and deciding who they will give an admission offer to. So, if I were in your situation, I would like to email the program, even if I could not be informed right away. Hope this help! and wish you the good luck on your admission process!

Edited by AplingPhd24
clarification