2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

8 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I just got rejection email from Dr. Winke! Wanted to update you on that. 

Thank you for updating! I got a waitlist email from Dr. Winke! Hopefully, we can figure out our next step well. 

16 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, pals; I didn't get any email from MSU, either a rejection or a waitlisted. So weird...

I think the individual email might be for those who have been interviewed. She mentioned 200+ applicants this cycle, so I can see they will just send out generic email for the rest.

I think there's a really good chance to get the slot if you're on the third!

On 2/15/2024 at 8:09 AM, researteacher said:

I think the individual email might be for those who have been interviewed. She mentioned 200+ applicants this cycle, so I can see they will just send out generic email for the rest.

I think there's a really good chance to get the slot if you're on the third!

Over 200+ applicants to the SLS program this year??? It is insane!!!! Thanks for your note anyway!

Edited by AplingPhd24

On 2/9/2024 at 1:05 AM, researteacher said:

I just got an interview invite from Penn. 

hey! Congrats! how did your interview go with PSU? Who did you interview with~? I also did the interview and I felt like the interview was somewhat less of a selection, but of an invitation. The professor told me good things about the program. I hope to get the good result 🙂

On 2/18/2024 at 3:54 AM, eduling2024 said:

hey! Congrats! how did your interview go with PSU? Who did you interview with~? I also did the interview and I felt like the interview was somewhat less of a selection, but of an invitation. The professor told me good things about the program. I hope to get the good result 🙂

I put technology for language learning and was paired with Dr. Lu for the interview. The interview went great. Their questions were mainly about my research interest and dissertation plan with a bit of teaching experience.

They did say many good things about the program, and I did get the positive feeling after the interview because of how they went into detail to tell me about the program and what they offer to their students.

I got an informal admission email from the program director just an hour ago, so I think you’d hear from them in the next few days if you got in. Fingers crossed!

28 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I put technology for language learning and was paired with Dr. Lu for the interview. The interview went great. Their questions were mainly about my research interest and dissertation plan with a bit of teaching experience.

They did say many good things about the program, and I did get the positive feeling after the interview because of how they went into detail to tell me about the program and what they offer to their students.

I got an informal admission email from the program director just an hour ago, so I think you’d hear from them in the next few days if you got in. Fingers crossed!

Congratulations! That’s great. Did you email Dr. Lu prior to submitting your application? I was also interested in the program, but did not submit any application because I was not sure if they are interested in taking on new students. I did send an email, but received mo reply, so I thought maybe that’s a sign that they are not recruiting not many new students. 

2 minutes ago, dlf said:

Congratulations! That’s great. Did you email Dr. Lu prior to submitting your application? I was also interested in the program, but did not submit any application because I was not sure if they are interested in taking on new students. I did send an email, but received mo reply, so I thought maybe that’s a sign that they are not recruiting not many new students. 

I didn’t contact anyone prior for PSU. I didn’t even know Dr. Lu was the advisor for technology for language learning until the interview. I’d say his interest is also not 100% compatible with mine, but regardless, he seemed like a great advisor

I’ve contacted two PoI back in November for other schools, but none of them were paired with me when I got the interviews. I still got accepted, so I think contacting PoI ahead of time is really unnecessary (from my experience)

I think core faculty in the big programs can accept students at any given time. It’s more about whether you pass the committee screening and how your interview goes at the end.

16 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I didn’t contact anyone prior for PSU. I didn’t even know Dr. Lu was the advisor for technology for language learning until the interview. I’d say his interest is also not 100% compatible with mine, but regardless, he seemed like a great advisor

I’ve contacted two PoI back in November for other schools, but none of them were paired with me when I got the interviews. I still got accepted, so I think contacting PoI ahead of time is really unnecessary (from my experience)

I think core faculty in the big programs can accept students at any given time. It’s more about whether you pass the committee screening and how your interview goes at the end.

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I was under the impression that maybe contacting POI and getting a positive feedback would make a difference. Otherwise, I would have submitted to more programs. Wishing you luck on your next step!

8 hours ago, researteacher said:

Hey! I also got the email :) I applied for sociolinguistics field. Congrats to both of us! Are you thinking of accepting? I see that you got so many offers! I feel like Penn State's offer is quite good considering the living cost at State College. 

51 minutes ago, eduling2024 said:

Hey! I also got the email :) I applied for sociolinguistics field. Congrats to both of us! Are you thinking of accepting? I see that you got so many offers! I feel like Penn State's offer is quite good considering the living cost at State College. 

I’m still waiting on NAU, but I haven’t been able to narrow it down yet. Have you got the funding info? I don’t know any numbers for PSU, so I’ll need to wait to see what their stipend looks like. Please share if you’ve heard any numbers from them! I’ve tried to look for it but didn’t have any luck.

In my case, I do need to make a livable wage to support myself and my pup, so I’ll need to sit down and compare different options once I receive information from PSU and NAU. As of right now, I have no idea! Are you 100% accepting PSU? 

8 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I’m still waiting on NAU, but I haven’t been able to narrow it down yet. Have you got the funding info? I don’t know any numbers for PSU, so I’ll need to wait to see what their stipend looks like. Please share if you’ve heard any numbers from them! I’ve tried to look for it but didn’t have any luck.

In my case, I do need to make a livable wage to support myself and my pup, so I’ll need to sit down and compare different options once I receive information from PSU and NAU. As of right now, I have no idea! Are you 100% accepting PSU? 

I am definitely leaning towards PSU! But I'll also need to sit down and compare the funding amount from other state universities. 

For funding numbers, check this website. It's for English department, and I've found out that the stipend is universal across graduate schools. English dep. provides 6 years (wow). But the amount will be similar. https://english.la.psu.edu/graduate/funding-and-support Also, this is the stipend rate for graduate Ss for 2023. https://guru.psu.edu/resources/rates-and-schedules/stipends-for-graduate-assistants?range=20232024&submit=Submit

15 hours ago, eduling2024 said:

I am definitely leaning towards PSU! But I'll also need to sit down and compare the funding amount from other state universities. 

For funding numbers, check this website. It's for English department, and I've found out that the stipend is universal across graduate schools. English dep. provides 6 years (wow). But the amount will be similar. https://english.la.psu.edu/graduate/funding-and-support Also, this is the stipend rate for graduate Ss for 2023. https://guru.psu.edu/resources/rates-and-schedules/stipends-for-graduate-assistants?range=20232024&submit=Submit

Thanks for sharing! I did see the English stipend and was wondering if we’d get the similar amount. I’ll probably choosing PSU is their stipend is at least 5k more than other programs. Cost of living is also the cheapest there, but I’m worried about the weather and the size of town. I’ll need to see. Either way, congrats to your admission!

well I got my last acceptance to NAU just now and that wraps up my applications. I've got four admissions out of five schools I've applied for

Michigan State: interviewed but rejected

Wisconsin-Madison: Accepted

Hawaii: Accepted

Penn State: Accepted

Northern Arizona: Accepted

all full funding but numbers vary. I hope everyone who is still waiting to hear back get good news soon. Thanks for doing this journey with me strangers on the internet! Best of luck to everyone!

14 minutes ago, researteacher said:

well I got my last acceptance to NAU just now and that wraps up my applications. I've got four admissions out of five schools I've applied for

Michigan State: interviewed but rejected

Wisconsin-Madison: Accepted

Hawaii: Accepted

Penn State: Accepted

Northern Arizona: Accepted

all full funding but numbers vary. I hope everyone who is still waiting to hear back get good news soon. Thanks for doing this journey with me strangers on the internet! Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations! I also got an acceptance letter from NAU just now! May I know how you figured out the funding details for NAU? I did not ask them about the numbers during the interview😭

11 minutes ago, Kyukyu said:

Congratulations! I also got an acceptance letter from NAU just now! May I know how you figured out the funding details for NAU? I did not ask them about the numbers during the interview😭

I didn't ask and haven't received any information on funding yet. I'm going to email them that I'll be waiting for the funding information before making a decision as that is one of the deciding factors for me! Congrats on your admission too!

1 minute ago, researteacher said:

I didn't ask and haven't received any information on funding yet. I'm going to email them that I'll be waiting for the funding information before making a decision as that is one of the deciding factors for me! Congrats on your admission too!

Thank you! Yeah! I totally agree! I read their handbook before and it is written that the admission decision will come before the funding decision. So I guess they are expecting us to take some time to consider. 

Hi everyone! I've applied to 4 Linguistics PhD programs, and here're the results so far:

Purdue - accepted

USC (South Carolina) -interviewed with positive feedback

Univ Florida - rejected

Univ Washington - under review

I'm an international student and curious about the reputation of and campus life at Purdue vs USC. It would be great if anyone who can share your knowledge about the two unis and their linguistics programs. Thanks in advance ❤️

Edited by Tav