2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

4 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hey, thanks for your word! I see that the GSU's application portal does not show anything regarding the application process. Currently, my status on the portal is "Submitted." I got PhD interview notice via email from the director of the graduate program, and I was told I would have a 30-minute Zoom interview with two faculties I mentioned in my SOP. I have finished my interview, and they said they are currently meeting candidates and deciding who they will give an admission offer to. So, if I were in your situation, I would like to email the program, even if I could not be informed right away. Hope this help! and wish you the good luck on your admission process!

Thank you so much for your reponse. My applictation does not show anything stating that it is "Submitted". There is just a list of items that have been checked as recieved. This is very frustrating for me, as I think I missed the chance of being considered for evaluation. 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, I applied to around 10 Phd programs in SLS and applied linguistics.

1. Michigan State, SLS: might be rejected. No interview invitation.

2. Florida State, Foreign and Second Language Education: Had official interview on Jan 11, waiting for the results!

3. Georgia State, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 15, under review

4. Northern Arizona University, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 31, submitted

5. U of Hawaii, SLS: My Poi said I could hear back from them around Jan, but no news at all up to now.

6. Iowa State, Applied Linguistics and Technology: No news

7. University of Iowa: No news (maybe I could hear back at the late Jan)

8. U of Arizona, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching: No news

9. Arizona State, Applied Linguistics: No news

10. U of Minnesota, Second Language Education: Got admission offer but no funding info.

I hope this helps!

Did you hear from Iowa State University for the Applied Linguistics and Technology? I learned interview has started.

5 minutes ago, ProfB24 said:

Did you hear from Iowa State University for the Applied Linguistics and Technology? I learned interview has started.

Hello, yes, I got an email notification from Iowa State's Applied Linguistics and Technology program! I had my formal interview with two faculties, and they said they would send out an offer letter around late February!

1 minute ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, yes, I got an email notification from Iowa State's Applied Linguistics and Technology program! I had my formal interview with two faculties, and they said they would send out an offer letter around late February!

What's your area of interest?

How long did yours last?

Then, is the interview a green light for admission?

I also applied to MSU, Second Language Studies, my application was waived but I didn't get an invite for interview.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, I applied to around 10 Phd programs in SLS and applied linguistics.

1. Michigan State, SLS: might be rejected. No interview invitation.

2. Florida State, Foreign and Second Language Education: Had official interview on Jan 11, waiting for the results!

3. Georgia State, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 15, under review

4. Northern Arizona University, Applied Linguistics: Deadline is Jan 31, submitted

5. U of Hawaii, SLS: My Poi said I could hear back from them around Jan, but no news at all up to now.

6. Iowa State, Applied Linguistics and Technology: No news

7. University of Iowa: No news (maybe I could hear back at the late Jan)

8. U of Arizona, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching: No news

9. Arizona State, Applied Linguistics: No news

10. U of Minnesota, Second Language Education: Got admission offer but no funding info.

I hope this helps!

28 minutes ago, dlf said:

Thank you so much for your reponse. My applictation does not show anything stating that it is "Submitted". There is just a list of items that have been checked as recieved. This is very frustrating for me, as I think I missed the chance of being considered for evaluation. 

Sorry for your feelings! I think if you paid your application fee, then you should have received notification if there were any materials to be completed. At least, I think you can check that your materials were submitted! If it is submitted and reviewed initially by faculties, I think you may have an interview invitation, maybe soon, if individual faculty member's processes are distinct and they process the materials at different speeds. I recommend you reach out to the director of the program!

32 minutes ago, dlf said:

I didn’t apply for that program but all the other programs I’ve submitted my applications to have sent me a confirmation email that my application has been submitted. Did you pay the application fee and received the submission email?

12 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Sorry for your feelings! I think if you paid your application fee, then you should have received notification if there were any materials to be completed. At least, I think you can check that your materials were submitted! If it is submitted and reviewed initially by faculties, I think you may have an interview invitation, maybe soon, if individual faculty member's processes are distinct and they process the materials at different speeds. I recommend you reach out to the director of the program!

I really appreciate your support. I already contacted them before the deadline to inquire about whether the application is complete or not . They said the applications will be reviewed after Jan, 15. I am concerned that re-emailing would seem rude. 

25 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I just received an official interview invite from one of the professors at Hawaii.

Oh my God! Thank you for letting me know! I also got an official interview invite from one of my POIs at U of Hawaii!!!

Edited by AplingPhd24
clarification

5 minutes ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Hello all!

I finished my interview with UIUC, GSU.

Both departments told me the decision will be announced within a few weeks.

I have another interview with ISU today, and just got an interview offer from U of Hawaii. 

1 minute ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Oh my God! Thank you for letting me know! I also got an official interview invite from one of my POIs!!!

Yay! I'm excited that we all got it :) I'll keep you guys posted what day it'll be and such. Congrats to all of us! 

12 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I didn’t apply for that program but all the other programs I’ve submitted my applications to have sent me a confirmation email that my application has been submitted. Did you pay the application fee and received the submission email?

Yes, I paid the application fee. But I received no information regarding the missing documents or completeness of the application.

4 minutes ago, dlf said:

Yes, I paid the application fee. But I received no information regarding the missing documents or completeness of the application.

After paying the fee and getting all the recommendation letters in and you still have not received a confirmation email and it doesn't say submitted on the website, I'd call them first thing in the morning tomorrow. They already did most of the interviews, so you should shoot your shot whether it was reviewed or not. 

1 minute ago, researteacher said:

After paying the fee and getting all the recommendation letters in and you still have not received a confirmation email and it doesn't say submitted on the website, I'd call them first thing in the morning tomorrow. They already did most of the interviews, so you should shoot your shot whether it was reviewed or not. 

Thank you so much! I will do that first thing in the morning. 

21 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello all, my U of Hawaii interview is on Feb 7 (Wed). Hope everyone's application process goes well!

Hi! Mine is too! Hope everything finishes successfully! Fingers crossed for everyone!

On 2/4/2024 at 2:15 AM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello all, my U of Hawaii interview is on Feb 7 (Wed). Hope everyone's application process goes well!

9 hours ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi! Mine is too! Hope everything finishes successfully! Fingers crossed for everyone!

Mine is on Wednesday😂

Hello all, I just got the admission offer from Georgia State University via email. I am so grateful for this offer! I am looking forward to living in Atlanta! Regardless of my status after an interview with Hawaii, Iowa State, and Florida State, I would love to accept the offer after comparing the funding situation.

13 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello all, I just got the admission offer from Georgia State University via email. I am so grateful for this offer! I am looking forward to living in Atlanta! Regardless of my status after an interview with Hawaii, Iowa State, and Florida State, I would love to accept the offer after comparing the funding situation.

DUDE CONGRATS!!!!!!

On 2/6/2024 at 1:35 PM, AplingPhd24 said:

Hi! I got it too!!! We both made it! Congratulations!! Was GSU your top choice? If yes, can I ask you why? GSU was the first offer so I am waiting for different offers too!

3 hours ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi! I got it too!!! We both made it! Congratulations!! Was GSU your top choice? If yes, can I ask you why? GSU was the first offer so I am waiting for different offers too!

Hello, thanks for asking. I prefer GSU due to my research fit with my potential advisor. But there are others in ISU, FSU, Hawaii as well. If I get offers from them all, I need to carefully consider everything! Which school and program is your top choice? 

7 hours ago, researteacher said:

Got the interview from NAU. I got it from one of two PoIs I had but I didn’t put anyone’s name in SOP due to the limited word count. 

Congrats! Hope you get the offer from NAU. I submitted my application to NAU as well, but didn't get interview invitation. I've just finished my Hawaii interview, and it was pretty tough since committee asked me various detailed questions about my research experience and future plans. It was totally not easy, and I would like to say it was my toughest interview ever!

4 hours ago, 24PhdSLS said:

My top choice school and program was MSU's SLS but didn't get any update so far which I think is a silent rejection. I think I need to seek next choice such as GSU, FSU, ISU, and Hawaii.

5 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Congrats! Hope you get the offer from NAU. I submitted my application to NAU as well, but didn't get interview invitation. I've just finished my Hawaii interview, and it was pretty tough since committee asked me various detailed questions about my research experience and future plans. It was totally not easy, and I would like to say it was my toughest interview ever!

Thanks! I felt the same way about Hawai’i. It was a full 30 minute interview with very detailed research-related questions. They asked me to elaborate on my past research projects I’ve been involved in as well as my dissertation plans, but there were such detailed follow up questions I was honestly surprised how intense it was. Great job though! I can’t wait for all interviews to be over