American Studies 2011

ksgrad

I was the one who got wait listed by the Harvard Am. Civ. program — got a form email earlier today. Since they're contacting waitlist people I would guess that if you haven't heard anything it's probably pretty unlikely at this point. They do seem to have moved away from the postal notifications of years past.

Very grateful to still have a shot, but I so badly wanted to have this done with. I guess we'll see what Yale says — I'm a better fit there anyway.

I was the one who got wait listed by the Harvard Am. Civ. program — got a form email earlier today. Since they're contacting waitlist people I would guess that if you haven't heard anything it's probably pretty unlikely at this point. They do seem to have moved away from the postal notifications of years past.

Very grateful to still have a shot, but I so badly wanted to have this done with. I guess we'll see what Yale says — I'm a better fit there anyway.

Thanks for the information and congratulations! If nothing else, I'm glad to know that they've done away with snail mail as a means of notification.

Also accepted at Brown. Outofredink, I think we got the same offer. Out of curiosity, what's your top choice? Also, anyone want to guess when we'll hear from NYU? That's the last program I'm waiting to hear from... And it's killing me!! :blink:

I posted the Brown acceptance. Just got an email directing me to my online application about two hours ago. Funding seems pretty good, but there was no mention of applicants/admits, etc. Good luck to those still waiting!

Also accepted at Brown. Outofredink, I think we got the same offer. Out of curiosity, what's your top choice? Also, anyone want to guess when we'll hear from NYU? That's the last program I'm waiting to hear from... And it's killing me!! :blink:

Yeah, looks like the same offer. I'm wondering if we'll be contacted about visiting campus, I'd like to check it out. That being said, I interviewed for Duke's Program in Literature and I am totally sold. I don't care if Harvard comes at me with 50K a year, I'd still choose Duke -- such amazing faculty and students, not to mention the type of research they encourage and their course offerings -- I should hear by Monday or Tuesday of next week, but it is definitely my top choice.

What about you?

I only really see myself at Brown if Duke doesn't work out and I receive a rejection from Yale. NYU is still a top choice in the running, but they would have to offer a sweet financial package...

Thanks. I didn't apply very widely, since I wasn't so desperate to go to grad school last fall, though now I'm starting to think otherwise. I got rejected by Stanford's American History program and I'm waiting to hear from Iowa's nonfiction program. Otherwise it's Harvard and Yale. Here's hoping I make it onto Yale's waitlist as well.

My contact at Harvard is out of the office until Monday so I won't have a better idea of what the waitlist looks like until then.

p.s. I'm focusing on the American West, and I'm not a good fit for either English or History programs, which narrows down the list of top schools. Basically it's Yale and Harvard, and then I applied to Stanford because I like Richard White so much, but my history background wasn't strong enough. Most of the work I've done on the West has been as a journalist and book reviewer — I spent most of my time in college studying Europe.

Congrats on Yale! Fantastic news. I'm so happy for you.

I'm also wondering about campus visits to Brown... Though it's definitely not so relevant for you now!!

Yeah, looks like the same offer. I'm wondering if we'll be contacted about visiting campus, I'd like to check it out. That being said, I interviewed for Duke's Program in Literature and I am totally sold. I don't care if Harvard comes at me with 50K a year, I'd still choose Duke -- such amazing faculty and students, not to mention the type of research they encourage and their course offerings -- I should hear by Monday or Tuesday of next week, but it is definitely my top choice.

What about you?

I only really see myself at Brown if Duke doesn't work out and I receive a rejection from Yale. NYU is still a top choice in the running, but they would have to offer a sweet financial package...

Just got word on funding from UB - none! So that sucks.

Hey Kate, Sorry to hear that. Did you receive communication from the department? Still no news on my end from Buffalo. I figured that meant rejection, but their admin assures me the committee is still meeting and all final decisions are not out. Don't know what to think at this point...

Hey Kate, Sorry to hear that. Did you receive communication from the department? Still no news on my end from Buffalo. I figured that meant rejection, but their admin assures me the committee is still meeting and all final decisions are not out. Don't know what to think at this point...

Hi KS - Yes, I received the letter in the mail today. I wasn't expecting full funding, because I know a few friends that attend UB and full funding is apparently unheard of. But I was at least hoping for a chance at a teaching assistantship. The letter simply said, "Unfortunately, funding is not available" - so it was a little unclear if that is a unilateral NO on any sort of research or teaching assistantships, but I assume that if they had that in mind, they would have said so.

The school I attend now has a similar process with admissions - where some admits are early, and others are late - I think you still have a good shot at UB, especially if you've already been admitted to another program - that would clearly indicate that you're a competitive applicant.

:)

Hi KS - Yes, I received the letter in the mail today. I wasn't expecting full funding, because I know a few friends that attend UB and full funding is apparently unheard of. But I was at least hoping for a chance at a teaching assistantship. The letter simply said, "Unfortunately, funding is not available" - so it was a little unclear if that is a unilateral NO on any sort of research or teaching assistantships, but I assume that if they had that in mind, they would have said so.

The school I attend now has a similar process with admissions - where some admits are early, and others are late - I think you still have a good shot at UB, especially if you've already been admitted to another program - that would clearly indicate that you're a competitive applicant.

:)

Thanks, Kate! I appreciate the info and the sentiment. Buffalo and Bowling Green are my top two picks, so I'm hoping one delivers with good news, though funding is definitely necessary. Congrats on Northeastern and Ohio State; I've heard good things about OSU's program.

-Kate

It's taking everything I've got not to phone my remaining programs on a daily basis. Honestly, a month ago, I would have thought I'd be done with this process by now. Instead, four schools still. I know it will be worth it if I receive another acceptance or two, but waiting is so emotionally draining.

Anyone else waiting on Bowling Green or Utah? I'm also waiting on Purdue, and have just seen the one notice. Buffalo is the only place I've had the courage to contact, since I've had a number of nice exchanges with their administrative assistant. I keep telling myself that I'll hear "this week," but I've been saying that for some time now. Maybe tomorrow...fingers crossed :)

I received an acceptance email from the graduate school at Purdue today. There wasn't any reference to funding, so hopefully that will come soon. I'm excited to have a second option!

Congrats on Brown! Seeing as how I am wait-listed at Stony Brook (Cultural Studies), I am kind-of-sort-of hoping that your gut feeling has shifted from Long Island to Providence. ; )

I applied to just one interdiciplinary program and six history phd programs. And i was wondering if anyone else in this forum has not heard back from the American Studies program at Yale, either a rejection or acceptance?

I applied to just one interdiciplinary program and six history phd programs. And i was wondering if anyone else in this forum has not heard back from the American Studies program at Yale, either a rejection or acceptance?

Unofficial acceptances for Yale's American Studies Program were sent out by the DGS last Tuesday (Feb 22.) and the official notifications from the graduate school followed on Friday of last week. I didn't hear anything about the number accepted or about the waitlist, but as a number of rejections have been showing up on the results board, maybe no news is good news.