University of Washington

Thanks, guys and gals!

I am hoping for UT 1) because I've lived in Austin for the past year and loved it (with my S.O. who is here for 5+ years), and 2) obviously an amazing fit and an excellent school!

I transferred twice as an undergrad and then moved this year after graduating, so I'm ready to stay in one place for at least a few years.

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks, guys and gals!

I am hoping for UT 1) because I've lived in Austin for the past year and loved it (with my S.O. who is here for 5+ years), and 2) obviously an amazing fit and an excellent school!

I transferred twice as an undergrad and then moved this year after graduating, so I'm ready to stay in one place for at least a few years.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm indifferent to Austin (never been, though I have a cousin who lives there and loves it), but UT-Austin is phenomenal. I almost applied there (mainly because I realized that I had cited about half of their faculty), but decided not to because of my already high number of "shoot for the moon" apps. I don't know if he still does it, but I think Tim O'Brien used to do stints as a visiting lecturer at UT-A in the past (I love O'Brien's books). I really hope you get in, Tortola. If you do and O'Brien ever visits, you'll have to snag me an autograph. :)

I'm indifferent to Austin (never been, though I have a cousin who lives there and loves it), but UT-Austin is phenomenal. I almost applied there (mainly because I realized that I had cited about half of their faculty), but decided not to because of my already high number of "shoot for the moon" apps. I don't know if he still does it, but I think Tim O'Brien used to do stints as a visiting lecturer at UT-A in the past (I love O'Brien's books). I really hope you get in, Tortola. If you do and O'Brien ever visits, you'll have to snag me an autograph. :)

Will do! And thank you :)

Has anyone been accepted yet? Or just rejected? I have not yet received my UW rejection, although I am sure it is only a matter of time.

Got my UW rejection e-mail. Still waiting to hear from 7 schools, but getting the idea this isn't going to be my year. :-/

Sorry to hear about the rejection, but that's still a lot of schools to hear from. Chin up and best of luck!

On an unrelated note, are there any UW acceptances yet? You'd think those would be forthcoming soon, especially if they're reviewing the MA pool. Shouldn't that mean they're through the Ph.D. pool? At least, most programs review for Ph.D. first and then MA (to allow for referral of candidates and such) but maybe not UW?

Sorry to hear about the rejection, but that's still a lot of schools to hear from. Chin up and best of luck!

On an unrelated note, are there any UW acceptances yet? You'd think those would be forthcoming soon, especially if they're reviewing the MA pool. Shouldn't that mean they're through the Ph.D. pool? At least, most programs review for Ph.D. first and then MA (to allow for referral of candidates and such) but maybe not UW?

That definitely seems to be the pattern; UF is still working on PhD admits, apparently.

This is the last school I'm waiting to hear from (English PhD, with 5 rejections behind me), and it kills. This is seriously messing with my ability to focus on my CURRENT courses; not good.

I'm over in NYC and have no inside info on UW whatsoever. I really appreciate all the information people have been posting so far. Keep it coming, if possible!

Also - if people have gotten rejections already, does this constitute "the first wave" ? If so, does anyone know when this "second wave" may be occurring? Thanks much!

(First actual post on GradCafe, finally caved out of sleepless frustrated angry desperation, ha.)

Best of luck Sthesha (sp?. . On my phone) but I know previously rejections have often preceded rejections and that there has been a pretty haphazard manner to notifications. I don't think we're through the first round yet. . . No acceptances posted here or among my other sources. Good luck!

Best of luck Sthesha (sp?. . On my phone) but I know previously rejections have often preceded rejections and that there has been a pretty haphazard manner to notifications. I don't think we're through the first round yet. . . No acceptances posted here or among my other sources. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm currently still in the process of my MA so there's always next year. Just the thought of going through the whole application process – yet again – is quite cringeworthy. Anyway I'll probably keep obsessively checking this thread until I get a response from them – I just hope it doesn't result in my trolling (i.e. neglecting coursework) for the next month.

"Stesha" it's like the Russian pronunciation of "Stephanie." So crafty about my identity, I know.

Not hearing from them. . . Killin' me smalls. Argh. I just want to know! Sorry to vent. Back to drinking wine and fixing my computer . . .

Totally. Feel your pain. March is like the month of slow painful death. Wine will soon be replaced by vodka... (it's okay, I'm Russian, I can take it, haha).

LOL. . . Switching to whiskey now. . . I'm Irish, so I can take it :P had fabulous moonshine vodka in Belarus. Generally not a fan but that was awesome! Also, I'd like to add that I have NOT been successfull in fixing my computer. . . Argh.

I called them on Tuesday of last week after seeing rejections on the board but not receiving one myself. They told me that no decision had yet been reached on my application but that my application was under review at this time. I also asked them if there were two rounds of decisions, because I know that there are at some other schools. They said it does not work that way there.

LOL. . . Switching to whiskey now. . . I'm Irish, so I can take it :P had fabulous moonshine vodka in Belarus. Generally not a fan but that was awesome! Also, I'd like to add that I have NOT been successfull in fixing my computer. . . Argh.

Thanks for the info, cicada123! That's helpful. I was reading UW posts from previous years and it sounds like there has been speculation in the past that instead of "rounds" of decisions they just kind of work their way through a pile or so at a time until they are done. In other words-- not organized enough to call it rounds. But from what I could tell that was just antsy people speculating (like we do.)

I looked to see when their spring break was. It's not until the week of the 20th, so I'm hoping they have all of these decisions sent out before then.

Ugh. . . So right there with you. I've got UW and CU Boulder, but Boulder is notifying by snail mail and to be honest, I'll probably decline an offer from them anyway at this point. UW, though, is still very much in play for me. So just want this waiting business to be over!

I also have one good acceptance and then a good yet unfunded master's offer from a Ph.D. (apparently, I was a paragraph away from being accepted to that Ph.D.) And I have five schools left to hear from. I will be happy going to the funded offer, if that is what happens. But I need to know first what my options are.... Hope all five come next week.

Edited by cicada123